This episode, like all of our episodes, is “Not Safe For Work.” Use headphones or at least look around a bit to see if your co-workers can hear.
This episode is part of our Casual series which includes episodes for thought and fun.
This is just Part 1!
Things that we rate are quality but individually just don’t like.
- Aces and Eights- the RPG- all
- Black Swan- Zeke
- Jay-Z- Josh (go check out the Black and Blue Album)
- Dominion- Glenn
- Ghost in the Shell- Meg
- Pareto principle: 80% of business comes from 20% of customers
Bad but we like it
We know it’s crap but our loins are moistened
- Twilight- Meg
- Cleopatra 2525- Josh
- Roswell- Meg
- Josh- Zeke. Seriously, and by “seriously” we mean “just kidding”
- Clue- Glenn
Good and We Likes It
Quality + Emotional investment. And even then there is disagreement!
- Avatar the Last Airbender- Glenn
- The Godfather- Meg
- Alien 3- Glenn but we think that’s dumb
- The Magicians by Lev Grossman- all of us
- Portal- Meg
- Agricola- Meg and Josh
- Convergence– proof by a thousand cuts
- Woit’s Law– any theory/hypothesis must be falsifiable or it is “Not Even Wrong”
- Dead Whale Affect- the beach may be beautiful but if there is a dead whale on the beach, there is still a friggin’ stinky dead whale on the beach.
So the conclusion?
- The marriage of quality and fun is if all the pieces in place, if they all converge (quality), then has the potential to cause a real emotional pull (I like it)
- For games- a good game is like a good script. A great director can still get a good performance from a good actor, but he can only take it so far if the script is bad
- Leave a comment here for this episode
- Visit our boards: Brilliantgameologists.com/boards
- Email the 3 of us at email@example.com (or individually: Meg, Josh or Zeke at brilliantgameologists.com)
- Twitter: @bg_meg, @bg_josh, @bg_zeke or our news feed, @bg_podcast
- Visit our Facebook page: facebook.com/brilliantgameologists
- Call us and leave a message (click to see message suggestions) (206) 424-4751
- Say hi in person- check out the schedule of where we’ll be appearing under the News Category of our web