Still a work in progress, but I wanted to get some feedback
before I headed off to work
. I already went to work and came home. Twice even. I'd still like feedback though.
Soulborn, as written, sucks. So does the soulknife. Knowing this, I wrote a very complex equation that would combine the two and factor out the suck. Einstein would be jealous. Maybe.Table:
The Soulborn HD:
Class Skills (2 +INT MOD, x4 at 1st level):
|1||+1||+2||+0||+0||Smite Opposition 1/day, Soulforged Weapon||1||1||-|
|3||+3||+3||+1||+1||Expanded Soulforged Capacity +1||2||2||-|
|4||+4||+4||+1||+1||Chakra Binds (Crown), Share Incarnum Defense 1/day||2||3||1|
|5||+5||+4||+1||+1||Smite Opposition 2/day||2||3||1|
|6||+6||+5||+2||+2||Move Action Reformation||3||4||1|
|7||+7||+5||+2||+2||+1 Soulforged Enhancement||3||5||1|
|8||+8||+6||+2||+2||Chakra Binds (Feet, Hands), Rebind Soulforged 1/day||3||6||2|
|9||+9||+6||+3||+3||Share Incarnum Defense 2/day||4||6||2|
|10||+10||+7||+3||+3||Smite Opposition 3/day||4||7||2|
|11||+11||+7||+3||+3||+2 Soulforged Enhancement||4||8||2|
|12||+12||+8||+4||+4||Chakra Binds (Arms, Brow, Shoulders)||5||9||3|
|14||+14||+9||+4||+4||Share Incarnum Defense 3/day||5||10||3|
|15||+15||+9||+5||+5||Smite Opposition 4/day, +3 Soulforged Enhancement||6||11||3|
|16||+16||+10||+5||+5||Chakra Binds (Throat, Waist), Rebind Soulforged 2/day||6||12||4|
|17||+17||+10||+5||+5||Expanded Soulforged Capacity +2||6||12||4|
|19||+19||+11||+6||+6||Share Incarnum Defense 4/day, +4 Soulforged Enhancement||7||14||4|
|20||+20||+12||+6||+6||Smite Opposition 5/day, Dual Bind Soulforged Weapon||7||15||5|
Climb, Concentration, Craft, Handle Animal, Heal, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana/the Planes), Profession, Ride, Spellcraft, Swim
A lawful good soulborn adds Diplomacy to the soulborn class skills listed above. A chaotic good soulborn adds Gather Information to the list. A lawful evil soulborn adds Bluff to the list, and a chaotic evil soulborn adds Intimidate to the list.Class Features
I'm only detailing the new/changed class features. All others reference the original soulborn.Meldshaping:
As per the soulborn class feature, but meldshaping level is equal to the soulborn's level.Smite Opposition:
As per the soulborn class feature.Soulforged Weapon (Su):
Soulborns have access to a special meld, the soulforged weapon. It can’t be replicated by taking the Shape Soulmeld feat (or any similar effect) nor can it be shared with the Share Soulmeld feat (or any similar effect), it is the Soulborn’s alone.
A soulborn may shape a soulforged weapon when he shapes his other melds for the day. When shaping the soulforged weapon, the soulborn may form it into any weapon he is proficient with. He may also make a DC 15 Craft (Weaponsmithing) check to make it ornate. Once formed, the soulforged weapon is treated as a masterwork weapon of it’s type and is treated as if it is magic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.
A soulborn may invest essentia into his soulforged weapon to give it an enhancement bonus equal to the essentia invested. If essentia is invested, it also overcomes damage reduction as if it had an alignment of the soulborn that shaped it.
Once a soulborn gains the ability to bind soulmelds, he may choose to bind his soulforged weapon as well.
- Crown: If the soulforged weapon is bound to your the chakra, attacks with the Soulforged Weapon gain the [force] descriptor.
- Feet: If the soulforged weapon is bound to the feet chakra, then the soulborn may treat his armor as one category lighter. For each point of essentia invested, the ACP of the soulborn’s armor is reduced by 1.
- Hands: If the soulforged weapon is bound to the hands chakra, the soulborn cannot be disarmed. In addition, the threat range of the soulforged weapon is increased by 1 for every 2 essentia invested. This increased threat range stacks with other abilities that increase the threat range as well.
- Arms: If the soulforged weapon is bound to the arms chakra, the soulborn can choose to use some of all of the enhancement bonus you gain from his essentia invest to increase his shield AC bonus. He may choose to reallocate this bonus when he takes a swift action to modify his essentia investments. If he does not receive a shield bonus, this bind has no effect.
- Brow: If the soulforged weapon is bound to the crown chakra, the range increment increases by 10ft per essentia invested. If the soulforged weapon does not have a range increment (such as a melee weapon), the soulborn may throw it 10ft per essentia invested at no penalty.
- Shoulders: If the soulforged weapon is bound to the shoulders chakra, the soulborn can choose to use some of all of the enhancement bonus he gains from your essentia invest to increase his shield AC bonus. He may choose to reallocate this bonus when he takes a swift action to modify his essentia investments. If he does not receive an armor bonus, this bind as no effect.
- Throat: If the soulforged weapon is bound to the throat chakra, attacks with the soulforged weapon deal an extra d6 of sonic damage per invested essentia. This extra damage is negated by magical silence.
- Waist: If the soulforged weapon is bound to the waist chakra, the soulborn can increase his hitpoints by 5 points per invested essentia. These are not temporary hit points and he can potentially render himself unconscious (or even dead) if he shifts the essentia out of this bind.
- Heart: Additional +1 enhancement bonus. This allows the soulborn to exceed the normal limit for his soulforged enhancement class feature (see below).
- Soul: Enhancement bonuses for the soulforged weapon cost 1 less (minimum 1).
A soulforged weapon can be reshaped as a full-round action if it is unshaped for any reason. Reshaping a soulforged weapon provokes attacks of opportunity and, if hit, a soulborn must succeed on a concentration check (DC: 11 + Damage Dealt) to avoid losing the soulforged weapon. A reshaped soulforged weapon can not be bound to a chakra (but see below).Incarnum Defense:
As per the soulborn class feature.Expanded Soulforged Capacity (Ex):
Soulborns have a unique connection with their soulforged weapons that is stronger than their other soulmelds. At 3rd level and again at 17th level, the essentia capacity for the soulforged weapon increases by 1, superseding the normal level cap for essentia investments.Share Incarnum Defense:
As per the soulborn class feature, except see table for changed granted level and uses per day.
Chakra Binds: As per the soulborn class feature, but see table for changed progression.Move Action Reformation (Su):
At 6th level, a soulborn can reform his soulforged weapon with a move action instead of a full-round action. Reforming a soulforged weapon still provokes attacks of opportunity.Soulforged Enhancement (Su):
When shaping his soulforged weapon, a soulborn can select a number of enhancements to place upon his weapon. These enhancements are limited by his level and drawn from a small list (see table below). At 7th level, a soulborn may have only a +1 enhancement and at every 4th level afterwards he gains an additional +1 bonus (max +4 at 19th level, but see also Heart Chakra Bind for the soulforged weapon). If an enhancement would give the soulforged weapon an alignment that differs than the soulborn who formed it, it can not be added (for example a chaotic good soulborn could not form an axiomatic unholy soulforged weapon).
|+1||Bane *, Brutal Surge, Corrosive, Desiccating, Eager, Flaming, Frost, Ghost Touch, Hiding, Illusion Bane, Magebane, Maiming, Mighty Smiting, Power/Spell Storing, Precise, Profane, Psychokinetic, Quick Loading C, Returning, Sacred, Shattermantle, Shock, Sizing, Sweeping, Thundering, Warning|
|+2||Acidic Burst S, Anarchic, Axiomatic, Collision, Consumptive, Desiccating Burst S, Disarming, Domineering, Doom Burst, Energy Aura, Enervating, Force, Flaming Burst S, Ghost Strike S, Holy, Icy Burst S, Incorporeal Binding S, Metalline, Parrying, Profane Burst S, Psychokinetic Burst S, Sacred Burst S, Screaming Burst S, Shocking Burst S, Transmutating, Unholy|
|+3||Prismatic Burst, Bodyfeeder, Curse Spewing, Ethereal Reaver, Holy Surge S, Illusion Theft S, Soulbreaker S, Speed, Unholy Surge S|
|+4||Brilliant Energy, Dancing|
*: When choosing the bane property, the soulborn must choose which type (and subtype, if needed) that the weapon applies to.C
: Crossbows only.S
: Synergy enhancement. The cost here includes the cost of the base ability as well. The soul chakra bind for the soulforged weapon reduces each individual component’s bonus by 1. So a flaming burst soulforged weapon is actually a flaming flaming burst soulforged weapon and when bound to the soul chakra, still counts as two +1 enhancements, but a unholy surge soulforged weapon would count as two +1 enhancements (since unholy is a +2 enhancement).Swift Action Reformation (Su):
At 6th level, a soulborn can reform his soulforged weapon with a swift action instead of a move action. Reforming a soulforged weapon as a swift action does not provoke attacks of opportunities.Timeless Body:
As per the soulborn class feature.Dual Bind Soulforged Weapon (Su):
At 20th level, a soulborn may bind his soulforged weapon to two chakras at the same time to gain the benefits of both. Doing so consumes two of his chakra binds for the day.
Magic of Incarnum + Tome of Battle class. It's designed to work with any combo of (Crusader/Swordsage/Warblade) & (Incarnate/Soulborn/Totemist).Requirements
- Alignment: Any except neutral neutral
- Base Attack Bonus: +4
- Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Martial Lore 4 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks
- Maneuvers: Must know at least 1 Devoted Spirit maneuver
- Stances: Must know at least 1 Devoted Spirit stance
- Meldshaping: Able to shape 3 soulmelds
The Indigo Initiator HD:
Class Skills (2 + INT):
|1||+1||+2||+0||+0||1||0||0||Discipline Investment (1)||--|
|3||+3||+3||+1||+1||1||1||0||Chakra Binds (Arms)||+1 Meldshaping|
|5||+5||+4||+1||+1||1||0||0||Boost Reinvestment||+1 Meldshaping|
|6||+6||+5||+2||+2||0||1||0||Chakra Binds (Shoulders)||--|
|7||+7||+5||+2||+2||1||0||0||Discipline Investment (2)||+1 Meldshaping|
|9||+9||+6||+3||+3||1||1||0||Chakra Binds (Waist or Throat)||+1 Meldshaping|
|10||+10||+7||+3||+3||0||0||0||Stance of the True Soul||+1 Meldshaping|
Climb, Concentrate, Craft, Diplomacy, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (Arcana/the Planes), Martial Lore, SpellcraftClass FeaturesManeuvers:
At every odd level, an indigo initiator gains new maneuvers known from the devoted spirit, stone dragon and as well as one other discipline based on your alignment:
- Chaotic: Tiger Claw
- Evil: Shadow Hand
- Good: White Raven
- Lawful: Diamond Mind
Even if you possess more than one of these alignments, you gains only one additional discipline for your indigo initiator levels. You add your full indigo initiator level to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest level maneuvers known. At 3rd, 6th and 9th level you gain an additional maneuver readied.Stances Known:
At 4th and 8th level, you gain an additional stance known from the devoted spirit discipline or your alignment based discipline.Discipline Investment (Su):
At 1st level, you may, once per day, invest essentia into a single martial discipline you have access to. This essentia remains invested until you reshape your soulmelds again. For every point of essentia invested in the discipline, you gain a +1 to your damage rolls and save rolls per point of invested essentia when initiating a maneuver from this discipline.
At 7th level, you can invest essentia in a second discipline you have access to as well.Chakra Binds:
An indigo initiator gains more chakra binds as you progresses in levels. At 3rd level, you gain the arms chakra. At 6th level you gain the shoulders chakra. And at 9th level, you gain either the throat or waist chakra.Boost Reinvestment (Su):
Whenever you initiate a boost, you can also reinvest your essentia with the same action.Stance of True Soul (Su):
At 10th level, you can end any stance you are maintaining to enter the Stance of True Soul. You gain temporary essentia equal to one-fourth your initiator level (max 5). This essentia may be invested in any soulmeld or other receptacle that can have essentia shifted into or out of it freely (that is to say, anything that you can’t invest in once per day). This essentia disappears when you end this stance.
New FeatsCobalt Crusader [Incarnum]Requirements:
Steely Resolve, Essentia Pool
Once per day, you may invest essentia into this feat. For every point you invest, the size of your steely resolve pool increases by 5.
In addition, choose one meldshaping class you have, your crusader levels stack to determine your meldshaper level and essentia pool. If you do not have a meldshaping class, you gain no additional benefit.Devoted Incarnate [Incarnum]Requirements:
1 Devoted Spirit maneuver, able to shape Incarnate Weapon soulmeld
When you shape the Incarnate Weapon soulmeld, you may choose to have it take the form of one of the weapons associated with the Devoted Spirit discipline (ToB page 41).Midnight Warblade [Incarnum]Requirements:
Battle Clarity, Essentia pool
Once per day, you may invest essentia into this feat. For every point you invest, you gain an additional +1 for your battle clarity, battle ardor, battle cunning, battle skill, battle mastery class features. If you do not have access to this class features, this feat provides no additional benefit.
In addition, choose one meldshaping class you have, your warblade levels stack to determine your meldshaper level and essentia pool. If you do not have a meldshaping class, you gain no additional benefit. Your meldshaping level also stacks to determine your intelligence cap for battle clarity, battle ardor, battle cunning, battle skill, battle mastery.Sapphire Swordsage [Incarnum]Requirements:
Swordsage level 1, Essentia pool
Once per day, you may invest essentia into this feat. For every point you invest, you recover an additional maneuver when you recover your swordsage maneuvers.
In addition, choose one meldshaping class you have, your swordsage levels stack to determine your meldshaper level and essentia pool. If you do not have a meldshaping class, you gain no additional benefit.
- Oct. 26th, 2010: Added meldshaping level & crown, hand & feet chakra binds to soulforged weapon. Added several feats.
- Nov. 4th, 2010: Added Soulforged Enhancement table, added the final chakra binds to the Soulforged Weapon. Added Indigo Initiator skeleton.
- Nov. 5th, 2010: Finished Indigo Initiator mechanics. Fluff to follow, maybe.