http://brilliantgameologists.com
November 20, 2014, 05:39:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com
 
   Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »
  Print  
Author Topic: IC thread  (Read 2552 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Mixster
Moderator
Grape ape
*
Posts: 1642



« on: October 04, 2010, 07:44:36 AM »

So better get this started.

It is early winter as you arrive in the city of Muspelheim. You have tracked your sworn enemy for many days, remembering seeing the gargantuan red dragon laying waste to entire villages. You as a group have come to know eachother, some of you are even childhood friends, while some of the weirder members of your party have promised gold and glory if they are allowed to help you in this quest.
Travelling in the land of Nordvallar is extremely hard, the roads are sloppy and unsafe, even though due to your appearance, you haven't really seen much in the way of highway robbers, these folk tend to steer clear of "things" that look too much like warriors.
Muspelheim is a smallish city, it has perhaps around 5 to 10 ten thousand inhabitants. The city is situated to the north of Nordvallar, and the governor is self-appointed and pays little heed to the king. The city was original a mining city, located just 5 miles from the mountainous region, where many ores were found in what is now known as the hollow mountains. Today the city bears little resemblance of that, the hollow mountains are now home to a horde of weird beasts. Probably due to a mind-flayer incursion, the citizens of Muspelheim haven't got enough gold to hire anyone to clear the cave, but the governor keeps his bounty of 100 gold crowns per head of each mindflayer, such a ridicilously low price for killing mind flayers is off course ignored by most adventurers arriving in town.
The city still has many blacksmiths, and even a smallish wizard academy, around it to the east and south are vast sheepfolds.


Gather information (on the dragon): 12
Most citizens have seen a dragon land on the largest of the hollow mountains, they warn you to travel up there this time of year, the outside of the cliff is usually more slippery than a horde of frozen eels under the effect of a grease spell, and the windy and changing weather makes it almost impossible to arrive there by flight. Upon asking the villagers how the dragon landed up there most of them believe it is simply luck; or some commandment of the wind it possesses. The hollow mountains are hollow though, and if one didn't have any regard for his own safety, one could attempt to travel through them.
Gather Information (on the dragon): 22
The description of the dragon seem to vary, some remember it as being as large as the city cathedral others think it wasn't much larger than a regular eagle, most people excuse this with a problem that the dragon passed far ahead, and since it was most certainly a dragon, most citizens decided looking through their stuff in their basement would be the safest course of action at that moment.
Knowledge Geography or Nobility and Royalty or History or Local 25
This part of Nordvallar has been untouched by the war with the southern empire Indrin, a war that has lasted for more than a 1000 years and devastated most of the southern parts of Nordvallar, up here the distinct lack of men is the only sign showing there is a war going on.
Logged

Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out
jameswilliamogle
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1279


Email
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 12:38:55 PM »

Den reports back to the others "Well, we can go up the side of these mountains, which seems unlikely, or we can go through the mountains..."

(Lost the roll link, but got a DC 12 Gather Info exactly)
Logged

jolt
Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
**
Posts: 114



« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 09:44:23 AM »

Teflar had been quiet the whole trip, which was very unlike him. Yeh yeh Den whatever. He thought to himself. Damn he wanted to kill this dragon so bad, although he didn't want anyone to know. He looked around. It's nice to see a piece of land so pure. There's not much more around like this ... Damnit stay focused! With that his look became tight and his Dragon Eye squized together.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2718144/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 08:38:17 AM by jolt » Logged
HeadofVecna
Ring-Tailed Lemur
**
Posts: 68



« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 09:19:16 PM »

Nhilwrae smiles fondly at Den, the expression looking odd on her magically transformed trollish features. "We do have one more option. I could Teleport us to the peak. We would need to take precautions to avoid slipping down the slope however. All told, dear brother, I think you are right. The darkness of the tunnels will be safest. There may be obstacles within, but woe to those who would oppose our family." Her smile darkens at that last part. And a small spider, which Nhilwrae herself seems completely oblivious to, crawls from her nose , across her cheek, and resettles in her ear.
Logged
Dictum Mortuum
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1160


always female suspects

theio_vrefos@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 01:53:22 PM »

Nhilwrae, although teleporting is the most efficient method of transportation, it does not seem to be the safest.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2729445/

Logged

Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

jameswilliamogle
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1279


Email
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 10:42:30 AM »

"Through the tunnels it is.  We leave on the morrow.  Prepare thyselves."  Den says authoritatively.  

With that he turns rapidly, his cloak twisting in the biting cold, as he stomps up the stairs to his room.  For the briefest second, he appeared to have an extra eye looking out at the crowd right behind his right ear, and those patrons who were looking quickly turned their gaze and shuddered a bit.
Logged

Mixster
Moderator
Grape ape
*
Posts: 1642



« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 02:43:48 PM »

The next day as the group sets out to leave, they will pass through a dark forest leading up to the tunnels.

A long and winding path leads through the forest, and it is hard and cumbersome to come through, the underbush is almost alive and all movement slows to a halt. The weather picks up, and the wind howls through the dense forest. The snow is falling heavily, as usual, this time of year.

The few townsfolk have long since vanished from the forest, and none of you can shake the feeling of being watched.

If any of you wish to cast spells before venturing into the forest please say so now, also, if any of you have spells to help with the travels through the forest, saying so would also be good. Last but not least, I'd like a DC25 Survival check.
The harsh weather also makes anyone who doesn't have proper clothing or who are accustomed to living in a cold climate, have to take a fortitude DC 19, or suffer D6 Cold Subdual damage (Dictum is Immune since he is made of metal. But unless I'm missing something everyone else would should take this save).

PS. sorry for not having started this sooner, I wanted to make sure everyone knew it had started, also I wasn't sure you had agreed on not teleporting to the top.
Logged

Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out
jolt
Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
**
Posts: 114



« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 03:55:26 AM »

Teflar looks around the gloomy forest. Not exactly the place I had in mind. He said with a cold voice while scanning the area around him.
Logged
HeadofVecna
Ring-Tailed Lemur
**
Posts: 68



« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 02:57:14 AM »

Nhilwrae shivers violently. Her mantle, a black velvet affair replete with ornate ruffles and frills, now threadbare and filthy, is clearly inadequate for the cruel wind chill of the North. "Hearken my kin and blood! Ice demons wait in ambush. They have assailed us from afar with this foul and damnable cold. But now they close in, hoping for us to lower our guard. We must proceed swiftly but carefully to the tunnels."

Natural 1 on my fort save! Better now than later I guess. Fort save; False Life HP (1d20+27=28, 1d10+10=13), cold damage (1d6=5)

Buff list:

Unseen Servant
False Life (8 HP remaining)
Greater Mage Armor (chained to whole party, Extended)
Heart of Water (Extended)
Disobedience (chained to whole party)
Phantom Steed
Heart of Earth (24 HP remaining, Extended)
Greater Mirror Image (Persistent)
Polymorph (Reach, Persistent)- War Troll form
Superior Resistance
Eye of Stone (Persistent)

Note: Ring of Diamond Mind is set to Action Before Thought
Logged
Mixster
Moderator
Grape ape
*
Posts: 1642



« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 07:37:07 AM »

Spot check DC 13
You spot a five big white wolves stalking you, they don't seem to attack yet, but they are all looking at you, keeping silent, and attempting to move as you move.

Mystic secret rolls
   1d20+9=10, 1d20+9=14, 1d20+9=21, 1d20+9=15, 1d20+9=13
Also, this is not as it might seem, a CR 7 encounter.

Knowledge Arcana DC16
You discern the wolves to be Winter Wolves (MM256 or here), they are the usual size for winter wolves.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:14:08 AM by Mixster » Logged

Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out
jolt
Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
**
Posts: 114



« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 08:32:23 AM »

Ice Demons? The only thing that's lurking from the bushes are some wolflike creatures. Or at least that's all I can make of it.  Teflar prepared himself for the worst. With one word, his vest shaped into a total covering outfit specifically designed to match the Cold Forest they found themselves in.

Spot: 15
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2737005/

Knowledge: Arcana: 37
To know about the monster.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2737309/

Make sure to read Heroes of Battle page 95. It contains the info about camouflage netting.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 06:49:33 PM by jolt » Logged
Mixster
Moderator
Grape ape
*
Posts: 1642



« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 07:45:14 AM »

Roll initiative
The map is Here, anyone succeeding the spot check will recognize the W's as wolves. The green squares are difficult ground, granting concealment to anyone behind them. When you roll initiative please tell me where in the red square you will be standing, each square is 5ft, there should be enough room for all of you.

Wolves will be split up into two groups, I roll initiative for them here:
Group 1 (W1, W2 and W3): 1d20+1=21
Group 2 (W4 and W5): 1d20+1=20
((OMG! A 19 and a 20!!))
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:49:45 AM by Mixster » Logged

Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out
HeadofVecna
Ring-Tailed Lemur
**
Posts: 68



« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 03:36:24 PM »

"Be not fooled by their aspect. They are fell creatures of terrible might." Nhilwrae replies, then goes still, concentrating her psychic energies.

Logged
jameswilliamogle
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1279


Email
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 09:31:19 PM »

"Hmmm.  Did you say 'terrible might'?"  Den chuckles, as his muscles knot up and he prepares to spring into action...

(vs Cold 1d20+12=28, success)
(vs Spot: failed w/ a 3)
(vs Kn:Arcana - failed w/ a 13)

Initiative: 20 1d20+2=20
Den will be in H12, I guess.

ACTIONS: In case any of them approach within 10', Den will Rage using Instantaneous Rage, activating Intimidating Rage, activating Imperious Command, activating Never Outnumbered.  Here's the roll: 41 1d20+28=41.  Should keep them cowed.  That was free.

On Den's Turn, he'll demoralize any within 30' that aren't scared yet as a swift action, then charge any that are 10' away or more, doing the full-murder Pounce/Shocktrooper/Battlejump/Leapattack/death crap.

Edit: Just let me know when / if I have to roll that latter stuff.  Honestly, I expect my teammates to kill them all before its even my turn.



Logged

jolt
Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
**
Posts: 114



« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 04:02:45 AM »

Teflar quickly recognized these creatures. It made alot of sense for them to be in this environement anyway. He saw them as not a real big threat, so he kept his mirror images merged. Being in his new camouflaged suit, he figured it would be worth a try to hide at a safe spot and strike when it would be most beneficial. He hoovered towards the closest tree and flew up in it hugging the trunk to avoid being easily spotted. (at the opposite side of W1, to be clear)

Initiative: 60
Spot: 13
(crap rolled for this already before)
Hide: 41

Actions:
Move: To J12 and fly up in the tree (at least I'm guessing X's are trees as we're in a forest ...) and take position where he can see W1 and hide.
Standard Action: Shoot an Acid Splash: Invisible Spell at W1.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 04:08:13 AM by jolt » Logged
Dictum Mortuum
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1160


always female suspects

theio_vrefos@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 05:02:36 AM »

Arrow mentally agrees with Nhilwrae, reaches for his weapon and scans the area with his eyes to spot all of the creatures.

Initiative: 16
Spot: 7
Knowledge (arcana): 16


swift action: retrieve weapon from cloak.
full round action: charge and full attack the first wolf that takes offensive action against a party member.

Logged

Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Mixster
Moderator
Grape ape
*
Posts: 1642



« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 07:08:33 AM »

The great wolf seems to stagger under the sizzling effect of the acid, hitting it right in the eye, the wolf howls with great pain. It is still alive, but certainly not well.

Turn Order:
Jolt 60
Head of Vecna 22
JamesWilliamOgle 20
Wolf Group 1 - 20
Wolf Group 2 - 19
Dictum Mortuum - 16

Also please tell me if you want to correct the map, I have placed Nhilwrae who is large in positions H10-I11, and Arrow in J10.
Next turn is Head of Vecna


Sorry, yes the X's are trees, that is 39 damage if I'm not mistaken? What do you use to Hide in Plain sight? You cannot move with the camouflage thingie can you?
Logged

Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out
HeadofVecna
Ring-Tailed Lemur
**
Posts: 68



« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 09:07:01 AM »

Nhilwrae splits her already fractured mind into two parts. One mind begins to mentally rehearse spells while fingering the vile contents of a pouch full of the material components necessary for the sorcerous arts. The other part of her mind focuses inward, opening to the flow of possible futures.

Manifesting Schism. If it looks like the wolves are about to do anything too nasty I'll interrupt with Anticipatory Strike.

What does Nhilwrae know about the wolf critters from her lore check?
Logged
jameswilliamogle
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1279


Email
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 05:40:37 PM »

Den is in H12.

He'll charge W2 (D16), Jumping from G13, doing the full-murder Pounce/Shocktrooper/Battlejump/Leapattack/death crap.

Jump Check: 1d20+19=20 is a 20, which makes the 5' fall for battlejump and the leap attack.

to hit
one: 37 1d20+21=37
two: 29 1d20+16=29
three: 14 1d20+11=14

damage (doubled for Valorous, tripled for Battlejump, quadrupled for Leap Attack)
one: (8 1d8=8 +23) x 4 = 124
two: (1 1d8=1 +23) x 4 = 96
three: (1 1d8=1 +23) x 4 = 96

Free action: smile.
Logged

Mixster
Moderator
Grape ape
*
Posts: 1642



« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 05:59:30 AM »

The wolf gets pulped into oblivion, blood and gore is everywhere, as the hammer strikes right through the wolf.
The two halves of the wolves, struck clean through with a hammer, seem deader than you would normally assume half a wolf to be.

W3 starts howling and barking in a loudish manner.
None of you can see anything, as the storm seems to pick up, and produce an obscene amount of sleet and snow. In a manner of seconds, the ground seems to become icy, and slippery from the instantly created downpour. The total and utter darkness of the storm immediately snuffed all torches. The weather surely is treacherous this time of year. The gentle cackling of water freezing becomes apparent as a lot of the water in the air seem to freeze around you.

Dictum Mortuum & Head of Vecna
You can sense something (large size, long, like a wolf) moving to M9 without problems, it doesn't seem slowed down by the storm.
Also, since you are the only ones central enough to be hit: 14 Cold damage, Ref DC16 for half.
Everyone
If anyone have to move, you'll have to do a DC10 Balance check to move half speed, failure by 5 or more makes you fall.
Spellcraft DC18
W3 Just cast Sleet Storm
Head of Vecna
Tell me if you want to interrupt, at any time.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:42:30 AM by Mixster » Logged

Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2008, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!