http://brilliantgameologists.com
November 28, 2014, 02:06:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Vow of Poverty  (Read 13538 times)
Bozwevial
Organ Grinder

Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 12:51:08 PM »

Warlocks use infernal powers, but can be CG. If for some reason a warlock took sacred vows, would using his invocations be considered evil? No it wouldn't. DCFS is fine here.
To be fair, they do state that warlock abilities can come from other sources, like fey, slaadi, and the like.

The_Mad_Linguist
Organ Grinder

Simulated Thing

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 01:28:05 PM »

You might be able to cheese the feats into something awesome by being a human and going dragonborn, due to how dragonborn handles losing a racial bonus feat.

Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.
Benly
Bi-Curious George

Email
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 01:41:55 PM »

Warlocks use infernal powers, but can be CG. If for some reason a warlock took sacred vows, would using his invocations be considered evil? No it wouldn't. DCFS is fine here.

It's up to the DM. The high moral standards of exalted characters are not well defined but how easy it is to fail them is harped on, and deliberately filling yourself with power from the Abyss to turn your Exalted feats into Abyssal Heritor feats seems like something that will very easily fall on the problematic side.
Inari1991
Ring-Tailed Lemur

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 01:53:20 PM »

So would it be bad for a druid to take Vow of Poverty?  I remember hearing way back that it was only really good for druids.  Would taking it hurt my druid too much or would it work due to druids being kick ass?
snakeman830
Organ Grinder

BG's resident furry min/maxxer

591915459 snakeman830@yahoo.com snakeman830 snakeman830
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 02:06:26 PM »

So would it be bad for a druid to take Vow of Poverty?  I remember hearing way back that it was only really good for druids.  Would taking it hurt my druid too much or would it work due to druids being kick ass?
It would work pretty well because Druids are already very gear-independant and can use their class features to take care of the shortcomings of VoP.

Now, in most games it's a terrible idea for a Wizard to take VoP, but that's another deal altogether.

I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.
Thistledown Thurbertaut
That monkey with the orange ass cheeks

Unseelie Fae

Email
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 02:07:02 PM »

Interesting question related to my doppleganger idea. A doppleganger can change shape into any medium or small humanoid.  I can't pick templates.  Do I *have* to pick an exisiting race?  Can I mix and match traits?  It would be awesome to change shape into an orc but have Raptoran wings.

My idea for the character includes being a warshaper and a bear warrior only reflavoring the bear to being more of a monsterous war form.  The taking Fist of the Forest and VoP at level 18 for a serious power boost.  The only think I wouldn't be able to do is fly...  unless I can use the bear form and the warshaping dopplegangerness to give myself wings.  It's not RAW for sure but the flavor of being that good of a shapeshifter seems to make sense for it and at level 18 I imagine I might be able to talk my DM into allowing it, if only so I don't have to sit the fight out while the rest of the party deals with the flying dragon...

What do you guys and gals think?
The_Mad_Linguist
Organ Grinder

Simulated Thing

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 02:08:23 PM »

You have to pick an existing race - master transmogrifist is the PrC that lets you mix & match.

Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.
jojolagger
Hong Kong

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 02:10:01 PM »

You could just fly above the dragon and then change into bear form and fall onto the dragon, which would probably count as a charge.

Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1

Quotes
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
Thistledown Thurbertaut
That monkey with the orange ass cheeks

Unseelie Fae

Email
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 02:39:08 PM »

Thanks TML!  Unfortunately it looks like Master Transmogrifist requires me to be a spell caster.  Unless there is an argument that a warshaping doppleganger could get the class features...

...I mean I'm already taking a huge hit with the 4 RHD and 4 LA (in this case I get 1 freebie LA so its like 7 levels just went kaput!)

EDIT:  Well it looks like the only applicable class feature I would need/want is the level 10 Infinite Variety.  It looks like something I may be able to talk the DM into allowing me at higher levels or even as the level 20 capstone which I have yet to pick.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 02:59:35 PM by Thistledown Thurbertaut » Logged
Maat_Mons
Hong Kong

What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 09:36:25 PM »

You should give some thought to wild shape ranger 5 / master of many forms (Complete Adventurer) 10.  Being able to wild shape into any aberration, animal, dragon, elemental, fey, giant, humanoid, monstrous humanoid, ooze, plant, and vermin from diminutive to gargantuan size really fits the shapechanger theme.  With 15 uses of wild shape per day (which last 15 hours each), you can afford to change shape as the situation changes. 

For flavor, it'd be cool to have the warshaper's multimorph ability and the fast wild shape (Complete Divine) and swift wild shape (Complete Champion) feats.  You could turn into a different creature every round of every day (except while sleeping) without interrupting what you were doing. 
wotmaniac
Man in Gorilla Suit

Emperor's Enforcer

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 10:12:57 PM »

For flavor, it'd be cool to have the warshaper's multimorph ability and the fast wild shape (Complete Divine) and swift wild shape (Complete Champion) feats.  You could turn into a different creature every round of every day (except while sleeping) without interrupting what you were doing. 
btw ..... MoMF gets fast wild shape at 3rd level.  Wink

If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions
Report any wrongs I have done here.
Maat_Mons
Hong Kong

What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »

Upon review, I see that abilities that reduce the action necessary to wild shape don't technically reduce the action necessary to use multimorph with wild shape.  Ah well, you were already thinking about asking the DM for a house-rule. 
strider24seven
Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2010, 01:40:43 AM »

My 2 cp on VoP: 

At least 3 of the following should describe your character before you even consider using VoP:
-Your campaign is low-magic
-Your campaign is low-wealth
-Your DM is not a douche and lets you use a Spellbook/Divine Focus/etc.
-Your character has levels in Druid
-Your character has levels in a class that utilizes, improves, or abuses natural weapons, such as the Black Blood Cultist, Warshaper, Kensai, or Monk-esque PrC's
-Your character has levels in any non-Druid item independent-class or PrC, such as Wildshape Ranger, Master of Many Forms, or Bear Warrior
-Your character builds his levels around abusing spellcasting without Foci or expensive components

My special blurb on VoP Monks and Soulknives:
Yes, I am actually that Monks and Soulknives, the two classes generally considered to be the worst in 3.5 DnD, can take VoP in very specific circumstances.  Both require dipping classes to be effective, and both normally require items to function at all in a party.  The following circumstances can make a VoP Monk or Soulknife into a very effective character:
-You put off VoP until later levels to take advantage of Tomes, Magical Locations, and items such as the Sparring Dummy of the Master.  While this is generally considered cheesy, you need to take what you can get with a VoP Monk/Soulknife.
-You dip Kensai.  At least a few levels will get you effects on either natural weapons, unarmed strikes, or your mindblade.  You desperately need these.
-If you are a Soulknife, you dip Soulbow to get a good ranged attack.
-If you are a Monk, you dip either dip Monk PrC's that advance unarmed damage or take Bear Warrior and dip Warshaper.
-Eliminate MAD however you can. 

To demonstrate how VoP can be effective, try this character:

Dwarf Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Unarmed Swordsage 2/Fighter 2/Fist of the Forest 1/Deepwarden 2/Bear Warrior 5/Frostrager 5/Warshaper 2

This character eliminates most of the painful side-effects of VoP, and, if you replace Unarmed Swordsage with Monk, then it is a decent Monk as well.
With this character, you have:
-A kung-fu bear
-Immunities to cold (and fire if you take blazing berzerker)
-Mobility from Shadow Hand Teleports
-Damage Output from your bear hands
-Survivability from your massive CON
-Elimination of MAD; you only need CON.  STR and WIS are nice, but unnecessary.
-BAB 18, so a decent attack sequence with 4 Unarmed Strikes, 2 claws, and a bite
-The ability to use Battle Jump to teleport on top of people and full-attack-charge them with your bearness
-The ability to show up the fighter with his +5 Vorpal Longsword
- A kung-fu bear
jojolagger
Hong Kong

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 02:04:29 AM »

I'm getting sick of that pun.

Quotes
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
dna1
Hong Kong

Im not albino Im just from Alaska

Email
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 04:16:23 AM »

I'm getting sick of that pun.

thats the first time iv seen it mentioned. puns in general are lame but that ones pretty...    bearable!!!!

i couldnt resist.. sry

Slappin ho's like E-Honda
jojolagger
Hong Kong

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 04:25:07 AM »

thats the first time iv seen it mentioned.
It seems to show up just enough to bug me. Not here, but it is always somewhere.
puns in general are lame but that ones pretty...    bearable!!!!
That one's actually pretty good.
i couldnt resist.. sry
it's okay, the bearable bit totally made up for it.

That build is actually quite good, and seems to have somewhat stable advancement.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:53:12 AM by jojolagger » Logged

Quotes

Sinfire Titan
Organ Grinder

You've got one round to give a rat's ass.

Email
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 04:44:45 AM »

thats the first time iv seen it mentioned. puns in general are lame but that ones pretty...    bearable!!!!

i couldnt resist.. sry

Don't worry, Bear Puns surfaced around the same time Stephen Colbert revealed he was One Of Us. Gamers will make jokes about it all the time: Making bear puns is a good way to tell if someone is a dedicated gamer or not (the gamers will usually joke along and keep stringing puns together, the non-gamer will probably groan).

carnivore
Grape ape

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 05:36:56 AM »

the VOP can actually be very strong ... provided you plan your build around it .... even a simple Fighter build can be very effective  ..... heres an example:

"Sticks and stone can break bones .... thats why i throw stones"

Dude the Stoner Saint

Goliath
Fighter 10

Attributes (32pt buy)
22 Str(15 +4 Racial +1 lvl +2 Enhancement)
12 Dex(14 -2 Racial)
16 Con(14 +2 Racial)
12 Int(12)
10 Wis(10)
15 Cha(14 +1 lvl)

Flaws:
Murkey Eyed
Vulnerable: -1 AC

Traits:
Aggressive: +2 Initiative, -1 AC
Quick: +10 land Speed, -1hp/lvl

Feats:
Sacred Vow(Flaw bonus)
VOP(Flaw Bonus)
Nymphs Kiss(VOP bonus)

1st lvl: Education, Brutal Throw(Fighter bonus)
2nd lvl: Rock Hurling(Fighter bonus),Touch of Golden Ice(VOP bonus)
3rd lvl: Knowledge Devotion
4th lvl: Weapon Focus(Rocks)(Fighter bonus),Sanctify Martial Strike(VOP bonus)
6th lvl: Weapon Specialization(Rocks), Improved Rock Hurling(Fighter bonus),Nimbus of Light(VOP bonus)
8th lvl: Power Attack(Fighter bonus),Holy Radience(VOP bonus)
9th lvl: Power Throw
10th lvl: Ranged Weapon Mastery(Bludgeoning)(Fighter bonus),Knight of the Stars(VOP bonus)

VOP Benifits @ 10th lvl
+2 Enhancement (1 Ability)
constant Endure Elements
No need to Eat or Drink(similar to ring of sustenance)
mind shielding(sim to ring)
+1 resistance to all saves
+7 Exalted AC
+1 Deflection AC
+1 natural Armor
+2 enhancement to all attacks
DR 5/Evil
Combat Abilities:

throwing Rocks:
BAB +10
Attack Bonus = +10 BAB +6 Str +1 IRH +1 WF +2 RWM +2 Enhancement +2 Insight = +24 to Hit

Damage = 7(ave of 2d6) +6 Str +2 Enhancement +2 Insight +2 WSpl +2 RWM = +21 Damage

Range Increment = 80' +20' RWM = 100' .... can throw rocks to 500'

Full Attack = +22/+17

can also Power Attack with Rocks max +10 damage, per throw

this build also qualifies for the Saint Template.... which makes it even stronger, and later will take TWF(TWF,IMP TWF, Greater TWF) or Ranged feat Trees(Point blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Many Shot, Imp Rapid Shot) also Greater Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Specialization maybe Far Shot too and some other ranged feats

this just shows what you might face if you annoy beggars sitting on a piles of rocks

this build does quite well for any party ... and compares well to any 10th lvl Character(martial focused)

Big Grin

something random
Domesticated Capuchin Monkey

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2010, 06:15:16 AM »

How easy would it be to make a good totemist VOP build my first thought would be that it would be fairly easy but I'm not sure?

Am I the only one who's mind was broken when they realized the implication of the existence of the aberration bloodline.
McPoyo
Organ Grinder

Email
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2010, 09:00:20 AM »

How easy would it be to make a good totemist VOP build my first thought would be that it would be fairly easy but I'm not sure?
Pretty easy, though you'd want to pick up some of the incarnate soulmelds for mobility purposes and some utility.

A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »
  Print  

Jump to: