http://brilliantgameologists.com
March 25, 2017, 12:00:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Creepy Events  (Read 15131 times)
Meg
Message Board Extraordinaire
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« on: April 29, 2008, 09:57:41 PM »

Once upon a time, the WotC Message Boards had a Call of Cthulhu board.  There, the most popular thread was a place to collect creepy events-- short game hooks that can be stolen from the news, urban legends or folktales or completely made up.  Something that you can inject in a game to give it a much more creepy feel. 

Check out the more current, soon to be archived, thread here:

The new creepy events thread!!!!

Keep it alive! 

All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!
Tevish Szat
Ring-Tailed Lemur

Dark Lord

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 12:23:01 AM »

001: In an electronics store, a 8-track player starts up on its own.  This wouldn't be particularly notable, ecept, when the 8-track plays, the songs on it are all from long after the format was discontinued, and on inspection, there is no tape in the machine

002: In a local park, someone has started carving letters seemingly at random onto the trees.  On each tree, a sparse mass of letters appears, but when al ate taken together, as though the images were overlapped, they form a passage from a mystic book like the Necronomicon

003: The PCs find a small box that is three inches bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.  On sight, it doesn't look distorted, but any sort of measure (including items in or out of the box) reveals the strange dimensions.  However, if filled beyond its exterior volume something changes about the items put inside: their dimensions change, almost imperceptibly, but such things have a slow, sickening effect if worn or held.

Not too detailed, but its a start
Meg
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 12:41:01 AM »

004: Driving along a darkened road with a car full of friends, chatting, laughing etc.  On a particularly dark stretch, two members- a brother and sister- stop talking at exactly the same time, eyes fixed on a spot on the side of the road, and have a perplexed look on their face.  The friends keep on the conversation, but soon notice their quiet compatriots.

Friend: "You guys ok?"
Sister:  "Um... did anyone else see that?"
Brother: "The head?  On the side of the road?"
Sister: "Yeah..."

They go on to describe it exactly, but only this sibling pair saw it. 

Upon further investigation:
a) it has disappeared
b) it's gone, but the siblings continue to see the head of a woman with long dark hair in a perpetual scream on the side of the road as they travel together
c) it's a zombie head that bites the friends.

Except for the options, this really happened to me and my brother-- Zeke was in the car with us.  Of course, option c came from him.  We went back and did find the head and Zeke was the one who got out of the car to investigate.

I was the driver and the only light on the completely black road was the red glow from my brake lights.  We looked out the window and saw the head, lying there, lifeless.  Zeke opened the door, and completely seriously said, "Now when the Zombie head bites me, just go.  I'm already zombified so don't risk yourselves."

We all nodded in solemn understanding. 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!
Weathertop
Ring-Tailed Lemur

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 12:01:59 PM »

@ Meg

An hour and a half later, I'm still reading that damned thread...  I can't stop.  I'm fascinated and I'm unable to look away from the screen as one truly creepy idea after another crawls by. I reach the bottom of one page and my fingers involuntarily twitch to load the next.  You could have put a warning somewhere.

@ Tevish
Those are great.  I really like the second one.  After reaching the other side of the park, the symbols swirl inside your head and recompose themselves into the text.  You realize that you have inadvertently read an extended passage from the Necronomicon.
Roll for sanity loss.

@ Meg
You found a SEVERED HEAD!!??
There's got to be more to this story.  You can't just leave it there...
Meg
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 12:08:31 PM »

@ Meg

An hour and a half later, I'm still reading that damned thread...  I can't stop.  I'm fascinated and I'm unable to look away from the screen as one truly creepy idea after another crawls by. I reach the bottom of one page and my fingers involuntarily twitch to load the next.  You could have put a warning somewhere.

Isn't it fantastic?  I have to seriously limit myself when I read it because I get so absorbed.  I'll read a few pages and then something will make me think of something else and I go on an internet hunt to try and post my own... now you can see why we can't let that thread die! 

@ Meg
You found a SEVERED HEAD!!??
There's got to be more to this story.  You can't just leave it there...

Hehehe Smile  Come on, this is the creepy events thread!  I have to make sure the story is as creepy as possible.

In full disclosure, it turned out not to be a real head, though it was realistic enough that even standing over it, we couldn't quite tell.  It was a mannequin head or something-- looked like a "real doll" type head. 

One of the friends tried to bring it into the car with us.  He didn't succeed, but it led to a whole other set of creepiness.  Like, what happens next after you find a severed head on the side of the road?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 12:10:36 PM by Meg » Logged

Dragon Snack
Curious George

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 12:26:18 PM »

Yeah, that's the first thing I think of when I find severed body parts - Let's pick it up and bring it with us!  As a bonus we get to put our fingerprints all over it!

Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls
Tevish Szat
Ring-Tailed Lemur

Dark Lord

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 04:18:31 PM »

005:  A (male, though you could flip all genders involved) PC is approached by a moderately attractive woman.  Whether they just chat for the night, have a drink, or go farther is essentially up to the PC, but she either doesn't have a place or doesn't want to go to hers in any case.  at the end of the night, she gives him a kiss and tells him to keep himself safe.
Thereafter, any woman he comes into contact with (even by a handshake or such) comes down with some sort of wasting  Often, the sickness is fatal if not treated, and is usually disfiguring.  it strikes a specific body part, oddly.  One woman might lose her eyes, another have her tongue rot, a specific muscle could atrophy or patch of skin develop gangrene.  Likley, the PC(s) will investigate the  turning event... the strange woman.

If they do, they find out that no one by this name has lived in the local town/city for a hundred years, the only record being a woman who died young, of plague, about that long ago.  she was buried in a local mausoleum.  Searching the crypt during the day will yield nothing but the expected remains, and at night the passages of the family mausoleum seem to twist that her grave can't be found.

Even under no investigation, the PC is approached by another woman, after several have, intentionally or otherwise been infected.  she looks odd, familiar but not.  "Don't you recognize me?" and she gives her name, the dead name.  On further inspections, her body is almost a chimera: eyes like the woman who lost her eyes and so on.  "I have to thank you... but I need to ask one thing more:  Your heart for mine, love."

The PC wakes up, lifting his head from whatever he was sitting at.  anyone who saw him and presumably would have seen the woman will relate (truly, as they saw it) that he just fell asleep for a moment.  after that moment, his touch no longer causes sickness, and investigation of the crypt at any hour turns up an empty grave.  the disturbing part comes when, despite him being alive and well, someone has cause to check the PCs pulse:  he doesn't have one.

006: The pitter-pat of little feet and a chidl's laugh are normally some of the most heart warming sounds in the world... but while staying in a particular motel or guest house, the PCs (or one PC) will hear such sounds at random times, just out of sight, and never be able to find the children.

007: A number of street vendors start selling the same sort of evil-eye amulet.  While mostly identifiable as nothing more than cheap kitsch, amulets or charms of that sort start showing up in various places: hung on lampposts, filling niches in masonry walls, or, more disturbingly, at the sites of mythos related crimes and above the eyelids of murder victims.
Tevish Szat
Ring-Tailed Lemur

Dark Lord

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 12:23:40 PM »

009: You are inside on a bright and sunny day.  the lights flicker.  Except, there aren't any light's on, because it's bright...  That was not at all like a passing shadow... did the SUN just flicker?!

(This actually happened to me and a friend.  We had been playing Arkham Horror to boot.)

010: The PCs are investigating some sinister place.  Either it's night, or they've gotten far enough that external light can't reach, or both.  Their light source goes out.  It may be quickly re-lit (taking another match for a lamp or lantern, or just clicking the switch on a flashlight.)  when they can see again, there is writing on the nearest surface.  "It is pitch black.  You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
Tevish Szat
Ring-Tailed Lemur

Dark Lord

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 01:20:01 AM »

011: There's a scratching noise at the window, and if anyone looks, they see a girl, pawing, begging to enter.  she looks cold, alone and scared.  If anyone goes out to investigate, she vanishes and nothing happens, but if anyone opens the window while she's at it, she vanishes in a flash and a gust of icy wind blows in  thereafter, the room stays about 20 degrees colder than it should be and can't be warmed to the temperature of the rest of the house, and whoever opened the window has nightmares of the woman there... shockingly vivid dreams of her scratching at the nearest window, or coming close, making whoever it was feel deathy cold.

012: Looking into still water (be it a lake or water in a sink, even) the PCs reflection looks dead and rotted.  If the PC continues to watch it, rather than looking away or breaking the water, they will feel a sharp pain in their chest, and fall back, coughing up water, as though they were drowning.

013: A local house has taken to having garden gnomes, all with their pointy red hats.  People don't see the owner much, if at all, though the bills are paid on time.  Soon, however accidents start happening, stones and other heavy objects, like bricks from a chimney, falling and killing animals and people.  As the accidents (or crimes, some suspect) escalate, more and more red-hatted garden gnomes show up in one yard, and the even windows of the house, watching, smiling.

(All three from myth creatures, more or less: Yuki-Onna, Korrigans, and Red Caps)
Nox_Noctis
Hong Kong

A Simple Exchange

Email
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 09:22:34 PM »

Well, this isn't an event, per say, but ways of playing that I think adds to the "creepy" factor:

0014) use facing rules so that what characters see is limited by the direction they face. When they turn around, they may be staring face-to-face with something that was not there before (moving mannequins (especially the type that stop while you're looking at them), zombies, et cetera). This can also be used to create "disappearing" objects.

0015) use "fog of war" in play-by-post games to give individual players private threads even when they interact with one another. Copy and paste one player's actions into the others' threads (with editing where required to remove personal thoughts, change tenses, et cetera). Players won't know who friend or foe are.

0016) use a lot of darkness. This is particularly useful with the facing rules.

Tazendra
Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 10:22:15 PM »

017) Lost time. The PC wakes up and his feet are wet, or he's clutching a flower in his hand and he has no idea how he got it.

018) Deja-vu all over again. The characters keep seeing the same thing happening, again and again. Not often, just enough to make them question their own senses and memory.

019) The PCs meet an old woman. She asks them questions, and each one hears something different. They can tell by what the other characters reply that they haven't heard the same thing.  This can also work if the characters witness two people carrying on a conversation, and whle they understand what each one is saying, the responses make no sense. After a while they realize that the conversation is split in time, with one person answering questions that the other person asks minutes later.
Tevish Szat
Ring-Tailed Lemur

Dark Lord

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 02:46:53 PM »

020) After killing an opponent (more effective in games where killing and combat are less frequent, or if this kill was in cold blood or of someone rendered helpless), a PC begins to wake up in the middle of the night with bloodstains or sticky blood on his/her hands.  Though they may wash it off initially, and no one else seems able to sense it (Sensitive people might be able to sense it actively, and NPCs will decline to shake hands, though they themselves will not know why), it starts appearing more frequently  Each time, the blood is harder to scrub off, and appears sooner after doing so, even during the day.

021) A PC's parent or mentor dies, and shortly afterwards, the PC sees the mentor's ghost, who tells him or her that he was murdered, rather than dying of natural causes, and declines to describe the underworld based on horrors the ghost alludes to (San loss!).  Thereafter, when close to somethign important to the mentor or supposed killer, the PC may see or hear the ghost quite clearly, but no one else will.

022) A mad cultist, or number thereof, surrender to the PCs, begging them not to break a statue of a young woman.  if they do, or even break off a part, the part oozes blood, very slowly, so at first it may seem the internal stone is just red rather than gray, and not involved in fluid at all.  After an hour, it's tacky, and after a day, may begin to drip.  Any "wound" to the statue (which is not as hard as good stone should be, rather like toughened flesh...) is treated the same way, though larger wounds will bleed faster.  Investigation may reveal that the statue is incredibly detailed:  it has bones... and organs... and every so slowly, taking a day or more for a fraction of a second, breathes and beats its heart.

023) There have been a few disappearances in town, including one or more friends of the PCs.  Another friend invites them over to dinner, where the main course is meat pies... of quite questionable content.

All four drawing inspiration from Shakespeare: Macbeth, Hamlet, A Winter's Tale, and Titus Andronicus
Sinfire Titan
Organ Grinder

You've got one round to give a rat's ass.

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 03:59:35 PM »

Give me 6 hours. I'll have something impressive.

Meg
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 11:15:31 PM »

This topic needs love!

bhu
Organ Grinder

Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 08:02:53 AM »

24) The PC's desperately need money and agree to do a quick kidnapping of the local mayor's daughter.  Upon delivering the ransom note they are kindly informed that the girl they have kidnapped died one year ago, and they'd better have a damned good explanation for this nonsense unless they want killed on the spot.  Assuming they survive this, who have they kidnapped?  And why hasn't the person hiring them shown his face in town again?  And what he hell do they do with htis girl now that they have her?  And why has she killed and eaten the Ranger's dog?

woodenbandman
Man in Gorilla Suit

Email
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 09:36:49 AM »

The PCs are in a a house, and the doors all lead to nowhere (inky blackness, wall, whatever). When they try the doors, however, they are teleported to some other place in the house.

bhu
Organ Grinder

Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 06:04:19 AM »

25) Small, cute furry animals stop what they are doing and stare obsessively at the PC's no matter where they are or what they're doing.  They don't approach, they don't make any vocalizations, they just stare ominously.  They're perched at the end of the bed when the PC's wake up, or maybe they're at the window.  they're always outside whatever building the PC's are in just staring at their room.  If attacked they swarm en mass, but otherwise do not harm the PC's.  Of course when the PC wake up with the Chinchilla staring into his eyes an inch from his face for the dozenth time in that "Yes...I could have taken you" manner, the possibility of an assault looms ominously in the Chinchilla's future...

emissary666
King Kong

Email
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 07:34:10 AM »

26) While enjoying a day at the beach, a whale washes up, desperately trying to get out of the water. A few minutes later another washes up, and another, and another until the shore is blocked by beached whales.

27) While driving past a body of water, the PCs see a large tentacle shoot out of the water and grab the car in front of them. No one else seems to notice.

28) The PCs are at the beach when they come across the body of a giant squid that goes on for at least a mile. If a PC gets close to the body, it violently twitches before dying.

I make little kids cry
Steady As A Goat
Warning: You may have already been set on fire

Bread does not need a reason
EjoThims
Grape ape

The Ferret

jeiph@mac.com EjoThims
Email
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 07:50:54 PM »

Almost anything posted here could easily be adapted to flow rather smoothly into a game, though some could potentially change the face of the campaign in doing so.

SixthDeclension
King Kong

"Wit is educated insolence."

Email
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 07:53:50 PM »

29)A bartender at an in introduces himself and takes the PCs up to their room. The next morning, he comes up and introduces himself again, as a different person. Is he mad, or is it the PCs?

My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.
Pages: 1 2 »
  Print  

Jump to: