http://brilliantgameologists.com
November 26, 2014, 06:00:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The Chameleon Handbook  (Read 40759 times)
snakeman830
Organ Grinder

BG's resident furry min/maxxer

591915459 snakeman830@yahoo.com snakeman830 snakeman830
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2010, 07:54:18 PM »

Why the focus on Sorc/Wizard?  Chameleons can draw their spells from ANY class list.

I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.
Jopustopin
That monkey with the orange ass cheeks

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2010, 08:00:55 PM »

Silver Dragon Totem Dragon Shaman's have all the class skills required for Chameleon.  It's probably black, but a chameleon that also has aura's would be an excellent 5th wheel.

Fadier
Domesticated Capuchin Monkey

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2010, 08:13:19 PM »

It's more of a reference point than anything else. It would be easy to post every single spell here but that would be just a huge waste of time, as the few spells that are different from the base caster classes would be lost in a ton of meaningless words.

Just posting the spells that deviate from the standard makes life easier for everyone as the standard spells are easily found but the lower level spells are not as easy.

My gift back to the CO community, the The Chameleon Handbook. Humans only.
McPoyo
Organ Grinder

Email
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2010, 08:58:37 PM »

Owl's Insight + ur-priest cheese + chameleon + cl boosting shenanigans, that's why

A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
Fadier

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2010, 10:00:38 AM »

A significant update, added a few prestige classes and feats but mostly spells. Now I have listed every 3.5 arcane setting unspecific book I have apart from the draconomicon.

Fadier

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2010, 04:00:39 AM »

Ok, most of the Divine spells have been sorted though. All that is left is the Divine Bard (probably the biggest single class to look though) and "From the Cleric/Druids Point of View" which will be done after the Divine Bard.

This would have been up earlier but I have recently found Minecraft and have been distracted, uh... on something unrelated to Minecraft...

I also found the spell Corrupt Weapon on a few spell lists but I could not find the spell anywhere, is it a remnant from 3.0?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:41:44 AM by Fadier » Logged

carnivore
Grape ape

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2010, 05:38:46 AM »

Corrupt Weapon
Blackguards have access to a special spell, corrupt weapon, which is the opposing counterpart of the paladin spell bless weapon. Instead of improving a weapon’s effectiveness against evil foes corrupt weapon makes a weapon more effective against good foes.

found here in the SRD:
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/blackguard.html

Big Grin

Fadier

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2010, 08:49:06 PM »

Ah, exactly what I figured it did just not in the spell section.

Widow
Bi-Curious George

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2010, 06:23:42 AM »

Hmm, this maybe another trick to get higher level spells without a touchstone.  The Wonderworker from the Book of exalted deeds or the Mystic from dragon magazine #274 both get bonus spells slots per level that can be added to any level of spells the character can cast (only one bonus spell slot can be added to your highest level spells at each level, the rest have to go to a lower slot).  With the addition of the sanctum spell metamagic feat, the versatile spell caster feat (if you have a spontaneous caster class to meet the pre-req's), or the Improved sigil (Krau) you can cast spells one level higher than normal.  Although this takes class levels, you do not need to take extra slot feats.

Pre-req's for Wonderworker are 2 Exalted Feats, +5 Will, Any Good, and 3rd level spell casting.  The spell casting will require you to have at least 2nd level spells from another class + your feat of choice to boost caster level.  Still 3 feats, but the three levels will grant you 7th, 8th, and 9th level spell slots (a total of 7 slots in all).

Pre-req's for the mystic are Spell penetration, Spell Focus, One metamagic Feat, and One Item creation feat; 10 spellcraft, 10 Know arcana, and 10 know religion.  This one has steeper feat requirements (5 + able learner), but has no spell caster pre-req.  What is interesting though is the class is more than 3 levels long.  Lets say you go Base class 5/ Chameleon 10/ Mystic 5;  you could end up with spell slots + 1 6th slot, +3 7th slots, +2 8th level slots, +3 9th level slots, +2 10 level slots, and +1 11 level slot (assuming you always put 1 bonus spell in the highest slot and the remaining in the level 1 below that at each level).  Taking base classes like Wu gen (bonus metamagic feat), wizard (bonus scribe scroll), cleric (bonus extend spell feat with planning domain or bonus scribe scroll with rune domain), or human paragon for bonus feats can really help take the load off on feat requirements.

Beguiler 1/ Cleric 1/ Human paragon 3/ Chameleon 10/ Mystic 5

Human L1 Able Learner
L1 Spell Focus Transmutation
Cleric L2 Extend Spell
Cleric L2 Scribe Scroll
L3 Sanctum Spell
paragon L5 Spell Focus Transmutation
L6 Ability Enhancer
L9 Presistent Spell
L12 Spell Penetration
L15 Divine Metamagic Persistent Spell
L18 Alternative Sourced Spell

You just have to figure out what limiting factor to choose, access to a planar touchstone, a good alignment, or access to dragon magazine references, but hopefully you can get one of these worked into your game.

For your feat section:

There is annoying errata or FAQ somewhere stating that Practiced Spellcaster cannot be used to qualify for caster level requirements on PrC's.

Item creation feats can be useful, specifically craft wonderous item which only requires level 3 spell casting.  If you are going to be a heavy crafter (and assuming you craft wonderous items the most), having one crafting feat opens up access to Magical Artisian or ebberon crafting feats with your shifting feat.
Fadier

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2010, 09:24:14 PM »

That's a nice way to get higher level casting, though I twitch when I see Sanctum Spell.

Could you find a source for the Practiced Spellcaster errata? It seems a bit counter intuitive...

I shal update the handbook tomorrow with the Wonderworker/Mystic spellcasting.

Emy
Bi-Curious George

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2010, 11:58:26 PM »

Some thoughts from a while ago, finally posting:

Also thinking about a straight-up caster chameleon and running into trouble. This handbook mentions using Improved Sigil (Krau) to gain access to higher level spells, but at 12 you can cast a Krau'd level 6 spell from your Planar Touchstone ability (counts as 7), so you can Extra Slot for a level 6 slot. Not a problem for gaining the level 8 and 9 spells, since your feats come at 12, 15 and 18.

Silverbrow Human might be better than indicated in the handbook for a crafter. I believe that much like various planetouched, they have an SLA (feather fall) that has a CL equal to their hit dice, which can qualify them for crafting feats.

Also yeah, this is possibly the only class that can actually make good use of Wonderworker.
Solo
Organ Grinder

Solo the Sorcelator, at your service

zhangzidong
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2010, 12:03:54 AM »

Can Chameleons copy spells into their spellbook?

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.
Widow
Bi-Curious George

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2010, 01:04:45 AM »

That's a nice way to get higher level casting, though I twitch when I see Sanctum Spell.

Could you find a source for the Practiced Spellcaster errata? It seems a bit counter intuitive...

I shal update the handbook tomorrow with the Wonderworker/Mystic spellcasting.

Page 30 in the FAQ has this:

Does a 1st-level wizard/4th-level rogue with Practiced Spellcaster qualify for a prestige class that requires “Spellcaster level 5th”?
No. This prestige class requirement doesn’t refer to your caster level (a value which can be modified by many feats,
class features, and even temporary effects) but to your actual level in a spellcasting class. (If it helps, you can think of this requirement as “Spellcaster, 5th level.”) The same applies for characters whose caster level is less than their class level. A 5th-level paladin meets the “Spellcaster level 5th) requirement, even though her actual caster level is only 2nd.

Wow, that is clearly adding new text to the game, not clarifying.  When does caster level always mean class level.  I can understand then not wanting you to qualify with gear that is non-permament, but a feat that is always active???  Does this mean the +2 caster level you can get from the Illumian does not work as well?  I am putting my head in the sand one the illumian part, no reason to propagate their poor ruling by logic to other similar powers.  To make it worse, this ruling was never extended to practiced manifestor.

You can also stick to Versatile spellcaster if you don't like sanctum spell.  Another FAQ quote:

Can a sorcerer combine Versatile Spellcasting with a metamagic feat to cast a spell whose level is higher than the level of spells he’d normally be able to cast?
This is possible. For example, a 1st-level sorcerer using the Versatile Spellcaster feat can give up two 1st-level spells to cast extended shield.

Works even better with the chameleon who just knows all his divine spells.  Now if you used 2 out of the 3 tricks together for higher level spells, you could really boost it up quickly.  For instance if you had 6th level spells and combined versatile spell caster and sanctum spell, you could have access to 7th and 8th level spells.  The first level of wonderwork would net you a 7th and 8th level slot.  You could always use you shifting feat to pick up the second trick while leveling, and then put it away until needed again.

If you are not allowed tricks but are going epic, there is another way (less efficient, but if all other options are denied).  First off you need to go Base 5/Chameleon 10/ PrC 4/ 1 X.  You must pick one of a few PrC's that have their own spellcasting and are only 5 levels long.  These classes usually get a 2nd level spell at level 4 in the progression, so you dont need all 5 levels.  Next comes in Improved Spell Capacity [Epic] feat.

Prerequisite Ability to cast spells of the normal maximum spell level in at least one spellcasting class.

Benefit When you select this feat, you gain one spell slot per day of any level up to one level higher than the highest-level spell you can already cast in a particular class. You must still have the requisite ability score (10 + spell level) in order to cast any spell stored in this slot. If you have a high enough ability modifier to gain one or more bonus spells for this spell level, you also gain the bonus spells for this spell level. You must use the spell slot as a member of the class in which you can already cast spells of the normal maximum spell level.

Special You can gain this feat multiple times.

Note the Prerequisite is meet by the PrC which has a max level slot for it's class at 2.  The second bolded statement makes it clear the benefit can only be applied to a class with max spell levels.  While the chameleon cannot be used to qualify, no where in the chameleon write up does it say they cannot benefit from feats in which they qualifed in another fashion.  Best option is to take this feat with your chameleon swifting feat while leveling so you can jump 2 levels when you take the second feat for real.  So the first use gets you from 6th right up to 8th level spells.  Re-enabling tricks, you can do the feat shuffle to fill in 7th with extra spell slot, or just metamagic all 7th level spells you need to 8th. 
The_Mad_Linguist
Organ Grinder

Simulated Thing

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2010, 04:54:15 AM »

There's a difference between "spellcaster level" and "caster level".  Specifically, the "spell" part.

Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.
Fadier

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2010, 07:13:03 AM »

Ok, the new methods of 9th level casting are up, and I added a mention to the Eunuch Warlock from Oriental Adventures. Sadly the Wonderworker specifies you can only take either Arcane OR Divine spells at each level so 9th level casting is only possible on one side.

I also changed the Silverbrow Human writeup to reflect its Feather Fall spell-like (thanks Emy) so it is much better than originally estimated.

Oh and Solo, while it never states you can copy spells into your spellbook I would be surprised if you couldn't.

McPoyo
Organ Grinder

Email
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2010, 08:30:21 AM »

Ok, the new methods of 9th level casting are up, and I added a mention to the Eunuch Warlock from Oriental Adventures. Sadly the Wonderworker specifies you can only take either Arcane OR Divine spells at each level so 9th level casting is only possible on one side.

I also changed the Silverbrow Human writeup to reflect its Feather Fall spell-like (thanks Emy) so it is much better than originally estimated.

Oh and Solo, while it never states you can copy spells into your spellbook I would be surprised if you couldn't.
Player's handbook actually states you can, check the magic chapter under the spellbooks header.

A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
snakeman830
Organ Grinder

BG's resident furry min/maxxer

591915459 snakeman830@yahoo.com snakeman830 snakeman830
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2010, 02:14:28 PM »

Another PrC that might want to be mentioned is Cabinet Trickster, although that works getter if you're just trying to mimic anyone right down to abilities and the right responses to whatever.

I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.
Cavalry_Medic
Ring-Tailed Lemur

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2010, 04:37:44 PM »

Did I miss Warlock as a quality base class leading into Chameleon?  It's got the required skills, Deceive Item and an at-will 3d6 blasty thing with possible ride-along-effect to fall back on.
dark_samuari
Hong Kong

Email
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2010, 05:23:23 PM »

Did I miss Warlock as a quality base class leading into Chameleon?  It's got the required skills, Deceive Item and an at-will 3d6 blasty thing with possible ride-along-effect to fall back on.

This is an old warlock build I had cooked up which at least utilizes Chameleon:
Warlock 4/Binder 1/Ur-Priest 2/Chameleon 2/Eldritch Disciple 8/Hellfire Warlock 3

Lets break it down:
Warlock
*Detect Magic at will
*Deceive Item
*3 least invocations, 3 lesser invocations and 3 greater invocations
*Eldritch Blast +7d6
Binder (binding Naberius)
*Disguise Self at will (as a standard action)
*Fast Ability Healing (1/round)
*The ability to use a few untrained skills as if you had a rank in the skill
*Command (once every 5 rounds; 30ft.)
*Take 10 on Diplomacy & Bluff, also can make rushed Diplomacy checks as a standard action without penalty
Ur-Priest
*9th-level Spells
*Rebuke Undead
Chameleon
*A bonus feat that be changed at the beginning of every day
*Aptitude Focus( choose from trapfinding & uncanny dodge, arcane spells from any arcane class, proficiency with all martial weapons, divine spells from any divine class, or wild empathy & woodland stride)
Eldritch Disciple
*3 Gifts of the Divine Patron
*Apply Eldritch Essence Invocations to equal-level spells
Hellfire Warlock
*Hellfire Blast +6d6 (Con damage negated by Naberius' fast healing)
*Fire Resistance 10
*Hellfire Infusion (infuse charge-based magic items with a metamagic feat)
*Hellfire Shield +13d6 (Con damage negated by Naberius' fast healing)
Overall
*+13 Bab
Jopustopin
That monkey with the orange ass cheeks

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2010, 12:11:43 AM »

A somewhat lame thing I discovered is that half-elves can be chameleon's without flaws if they take as their first level "Half-Elf Paragon."  Human Heritage + Able Learner.

Yay!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
  Print  

Jump to: