http://brilliantgameologists.com
October 26, 2014, 03:37:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The Duskblade's Handbook  (Read 201771 times)
BowenSilverclaw
Organ Grinder

Walking that fine line between genius and insanity

Email
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 03:07:51 PM »

Nothing on Prestige Classes?

I find Wyrm Wizard to be quite fun to pick up Wraithstrike, Polymorph and possibly Shield to get some mileage out of Abjurant Champion Big Grin

YMMV ofcourse Smile

Other than that, great guide  Clap

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.  
Dictum Mortuum
Hong Kong

always female suspects

theio_vrefos@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 06:00:40 PM »

Nothing on Prestige Classes?

I find Wyrm Wizard to be quite fun to pick up Wraithstrike, Polymorph and possibly Shield to get some mileage out of Abjurant Champion Big Grin

YMMV ofcourse Smile

Other than that, great guide  Clap

For some reason i dislike prestige classes on duskblades. I think they fare very good straight. Of course you are right, i don't even mention that anywhere, so i think i'll add a multiclassing section and my thoughts about multiclassing.

Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

carnivore
Grape ape

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 06:33:39 PM »

heres a Duskblade Archer...  Wink
Susan the Arcane Archer

Duskblade 5/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Arcane Archer 10

Fire Elf(+2 Dex, +2 Int, –2 Con,–2 Cha)
Elf, Fire(an elf with an ancestor from the Elemental Plane of Fire)(UA p17)
+2 Dex, +2 Int, –2 Con,–2 Cha
Fav Class: Wizard
• Medium Size
• 30’ movement
• Immunity to magic sleep
• +2 Racial bonus on Listen, Search, & Spot checks.
• Automatic Search check if an Elf passes within 5’ of a secret or concealed door
• Low-light Vision
• Automatic proficiency with all straight Bows
• Automatic proficiency with Longsword and Rapier
• +2 Racial bonus to saves vs. Enchantments
• +1 Racial bonus on attacks vs. creatures with the (water) subtype.
• –2 penalty on all saving throws vs. the spell, spelllike abilities, & supernatural abilities that have the (water) subtype or are generated by creatures with the (water) subtype.
• Resistance to Fire 5.

Attributes(32 point buy):
24 Str (14+4 Inherent(arm) +6 Item)
34 Dex (16 +5 levels +5 Inherent +2 Racial +6 Item)
18 Con (14 +6 Item -2 racial)
24 Int (16 +2 Racial +6 Item)
14 Wis (8 +6 Item)
12 Cha (8 +6 Item-2 racial)

Feats:

Combat Casting(Duskblade bonus)
1st lvl: Weapon Finnesse
3rd lvl: Weapon Focus(longbow)
6th lvl: Point blank Shot
9th lvl: Precise Shot
12th lvl: Rapid Shot
15th lvl: Woodland Archer
18th lvl: Skewering Foe(Champions of Ruin)

BAB +20
20th Caster level

spells: 6/8/7/3

Melee Attack bonus= BAB+20 +12 Dex+ 5 Enhancement +1 Haste= +38
Ranged Attack bonus= BAB+20 +12 Dex+2 Competence +5 Enhancement+1 Haste-2 Rapid shot= +38

Full Attack:
Melee: +38/+38/+33/+28/+25+special: if she misses on any Attack, add +2 to the next attack
Ranged: +38/+38/+38/+33/+28/+23 +special: if she misses on the any attack, add +6 attack to next attacks

Ranged Special: each attack splits... giving this attack sequence:
:+38/+38/+38/+38/+38/+38/+33/+33/+28/+28/+23/+23

Damage:
Melee=Rapier +1d6(3.5) +5 Enhancement(GMW cast by party member) +7 Str+1d6(3.5) vampiric+1 point Con damage+ Special(Spell channeled)= ave 14 +1 point Con damage each hit , if all hit = 70 damage + 5 Con/ Round
Spells Channeled
can channel extended Chilling Touch to give 40d6 damage+ 40 Str damage(Fort negates DC 18)

Can channel Vampiric Touch to give 10d6 damage and gain Temp hp

Ranged= Composite Longbow Arrow+1d8+5 Enhancement +7 Str+ 1 Competence = average 17 Damage each arrow..... if all hit = 204 damage/ Round ......maybe not a record, but more than adequate for most any situation.... this applies to ANY opponent...and every arrow after the first Hit gains 1d6 damage(Skewering attack)so average damage could be 237/rd

can Imbue Arrow with Doom Scarabs to add 10d6 Damage(No Save, No SR)

Equipment
99400gp +1 Accurate Splitting Force Elvencraft Composite(+7 Str) Longbow
103600gp +1 Accurate Vampiric Wounding Eager Dwarvencraft Starmetal Rapier
22400 gp Celestial Armor

40000gp Paralyzing Arm Graft(+4 Inherent to Str)
137000gp +5 Inherent to Attributes
25000gp Greater bracers of Archery(+2 Competence Att, +1 Damage)
200000gp +6 Belt of Magnificense
21000gp Mask of Insightful detection
3500gp Lense of detection
20,000 gp Ring of Invisibility
2000gp Ring of the Darkhidden
2000gp Handy haversack
3600gp 2x Efficient Quiver
12000gp Boots of Speed
10000gp 2xGlove of Storing
6000gp 2x Rod of Extend

36036gp

Intelligence-based Spontaneous Arcane Spells(PH2 p24)
0th Level
Acid Splash(PH p196) – Orb deals 1d3 damage.
Disrupt Undead(PH p223) – Deals 1d6 damage to one undead.

1st Level

Chill Touch(PH p209) – 1 touch per level deals 1d6 damage and possibly 1 Strength damage.
Jump(PH p246) – Subject gains bonus on Jump checks.
Obscuring Mist(PH p258) – Fog surrounds you.
Resist Energy(PH p246) – Ignores the first 10 (or more) points of damage per attack from a specified energy type.
True Strike(PH p296) – Add +20 insight bonus to your next attack roll.

2nd Level

Dimension Hop(PH2 p110) – Teleport subject short distance.
Melf’s Acid Arrow(PH p253) – Ranged touch attack; 2d4 acid damage for 1 round + 1 round per 3 levels (7 rounds max).
See Invisibility(PH p275) – Reveals invisible creatures or objects.
Touch of Idiocy(PH p294) – Subject takes 1d6 Intelligence, Wisdom & Charisma damage.

3rd Level

Doom Scarabs(PH2 p110) – Scarab swarm deals 1d6 per 2 levels, gives you temporary hit points.
Regroup(PH2 p122) – Teleports nearby allies to your side.
Vampiric Touch(PH p298) – Touch deals 1d6 per 2 caster levels; caster gains damage as hit points.

why is this Arcane archer/ Duskblade so great ...... she can switch from ranged to Melee as a free action(gloves of storing) ..... and do great damage in either Combat mode.... see above(237/rd Ranged, 70+5 Con/rd+ Spell channeled)

She gets +20 BAB and 20th lvl Caster all the time, without feats(practiced caster) or items(Ioun Stones) .

this build is very self sufficient and can help any party in any environment

Although some feel the Arcane Archer is Sub-Par .... it can be seen by this build.... it can still Kick Butt with the best.... it does not rely on getting within 30'(like Swift Hunter builds) but can do its ranged damage @ ANY Range

EPIC ready character, that is very easy to use and Survivable at all levels, and contributes meaningfully to any party

Big Grin

Ubernoob
Man in Gorilla Suit

Happy Panda

Email
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 03:00:30 AM »

@Carnivore's build: I threw up a little.

Ubernoob is a happy panda.
Achiever_Type
Ring-Tailed Lemur

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 07:08:33 AM »

When I saw the picture I was like WHAT NO!?   But eh, you made arcane archer not suck.  That's nifty in and of itself, because I don't recall ever seeing arcane archers in actual play that were not simply a waste of space.
woodenbandman
Man in Gorilla Suit

Email
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 08:39:55 AM »

Duskblade 13/Warblade2/Bloodstorm Blade5.
 Big Grin

Sinfire Titan
Organ Grinder

You've got one round to give a rat's ass.

Email
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 09:30:20 AM »

Duskblade 13/Warblade2/Bloodstorm Blade5.
 Big Grin

=Hadoken!

ArkthePieKing
Monkey bussiness

Email
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 01:59:47 AM »

Now, I found a brand spanking new way to play the dusblade, that I think everyone will find pretty interesting.

Taking one level of spellthief, and taking the master spellthief feat in Complete Scoundrel makes for an amazing piece of arcane caster. With Swift Invisibility you can almost always steal spells form your target, and the fact that you can "borrow" spells from your fellow casters is just amazing, cosidering the fact that the Duskblade specifically says you can use arcane channeling with any spell you can cast. A stolen spell is a spell you can cast, thus you're good to go. The +1D6 to damage in situations where you can't steal spells isn't bad either. I just had my first combat with this character, and it was great. First round I snuck up and shit him with my pistol, then went invisible and double shocking grasped him for 12D6 of damage. Of course, he was 4 levels above me, half dragon, and a paladin of Tyrrany, so he wasn't entirely happy with me at this point. After dropping me to 3 hit points in one shot, I popped another swift invisibility, borrowed a cure critical wounds from the Archivist and healed myself on the next turn.

Now the character I'm playing is strictly for flavor. It's not optimized in anyway, but with the right build this could be outright scary.
We're only at level 7 right now, so this is what it looks like feat wise.
1 EWP Pistol, Improved Init., Able Learner[flaw]
2-
3 Knowledge Devotion
4-
5-
6 Master Spellthief

Like I said, this is a really flavorful, fun build that's a lot of fun to play, and has the options to perform several things at one time. Anyway, I'd love to see what you all can do with this idea. Like I said, my build is mostly for flavor and whatnot.
woodenbandman
Man in Gorilla Suit

Email
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 08:42:35 AM »

That is a really awesome build, I love it.

Dictum Mortuum
Hong Kong

always female suspects

theio_vrefos@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 09:41:22 AM »

Now, I found a brand spanking new way to play the dusblade, that I think everyone will find pretty interesting.

Taking one level of spellthief, and taking the master spellthief feat in Complete Scoundrel makes for an amazing piece of arcane caster. With Swift Invisibility you can almost always steal spells form your target, and the fact that you can "borrow" spells from your fellow casters is just amazing, cosidering the fact that the Duskblade specifically says you can use arcane channeling with any spell you can cast. A stolen spell is a spell you can cast, thus you're good to go. The +1D6 to damage in situations where you can't steal spells isn't bad either. I just had my first combat with this character, and it was great. First round I snuck up and shit him with my pistol, then went invisible and double shocking grasped him for 12D6 of damage. Of course, he was 4 levels above me, half dragon, and a paladin of Tyrrany, so he wasn't entirely happy with me at this point. After dropping me to 3 hit points in one shot, I popped another swift invisibility, borrowed a cure critical wounds from the Archivist and healed myself on the next turn.

Now the character I'm playing is strictly for flavor. It's not optimized in anyway, but with the right build this could be outright scary.
2-
3 Knowledge Devotion
4-
5-
6 Master Spellthief

Like I said, this is a really flavorful, fun build that's a lot of fun to play, and has the options to perform several things at one time. Anyway, I'd love to see what you all can do with this idea. Like I said, my build is mostly for flavor and whatnot.

Purely on the optimization/rules part:

• Hope you didn't shocking grasped with twice i a single turn, i don't think that's possible.
  • I also hope you didn't steal the spell with a pistol. You need a melee weapon to do that. The same is true for channelling.
  • You can't steal cure critical wounds, because you can't steal spells higher than 1st level. That's because master spellthief stacks your spellthief level with an arcane class for stealing higher spells, without actually increasing your storage, which stays at 1 point capacity.

To be honest, i've thought of this before, but it's a bummer master spellthief doesn't increase your storage capacity Sad
Moreover, another problem is that duskblades have 2+int skills, not the perfect candidate for able learner (although having maxed UMD is really nice).

ArkthePieKing
Monkey bussiness

Email
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 09:58:27 AM »

2-
3 Knowledge Devotion
4-
5-
6 Master Spellthief

Purely on the optimization/rules part:

• Hope you didn't shocking grasped with twice i a single turn, i don't think that's possible.
  • I also hope you didn't steal the spell with a pistol. You need a melee weapon to do that. The same is true for channelling.
  • You can't steal cure critical wounds, because you can't steal spells higher than 1st level. That's because master spellthief stacks your spellthief level with an arcane class for stealing higher spells, without actually increasing your storage, which stays at 1 point capacity.

To be honest, i've thought of this before, but it's a bummer master spellthief doesn't increase your storage capacity Sad
Moreover, another problem is that duskblades have 2+int skills, not the perfect candidate for able learner (although having maxed UMD is really nice).
It's possible. I used my 1/day quick cast.
You can steal spells from allies as a standard action without knocking them upside the head. Plus I had a longsword drawn anyway.  Smile
Really? *double checks feat* Hmm. Well, apparently we're houseruling it, because I asked my DM about it and he said that was how it worked.

Well, able learner works well for what I'm doing. I do have trapfinding, so I don't have to cross class anything right now, including search or disable device.
And I thought I'd come up with a cool idea too. Dang...
Dictum Mortuum
Hong Kong

always female suspects

theio_vrefos@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 01:39:42 PM »

It's possible. I used my 1/day quick cast.
You can steal spells from allies as a standard action without knocking them upside the head. Plus I had a longsword drawn anyway.  Smile
Really? *double checks feat* Hmm. Well, apparently we're houseruling it, because I asked my DM about it and he said that was how it worked.

Well, able learner works well for what I'm doing. I do have trapfinding, so I don't have to cross class anything right now, including search or disable device.
And I thought I'd come up with a cool idea too. Dang...

Yeah, i thought so about the quick cast, i just don't know if it is legal and i don't have the time to check right now. Basically, imagine expending all chill touch attempts with a single touch if this is legal Tongue (btw did you channel it? Because then you'd be using your weapon and the quick casted shocking grasp would require you to actually touch the target - can't channel a swift action spell).
You can steal it, without hurting your friends of course. The problem occurs when you can't store it. IIRC the book says that the energy safely fades away if you have no room for new spells. That means that stealing a cure minor or light wounds spell is ok, but not moderate+.
Able learner is fine for most builds that dip into a skill monkey at first level. But i just don't like expending 2-3 skill points of the level to stuff like that (search, dd). Not that it's bad or anything, i just hate it Tongue. That's why able learner is best used in conjunction with high skill points per level with bad class skills list classes (for example, cloistered cleric, ranger, etc).
Don't worry though, it is still cool. That's because duskblades are able to ditch a lot of damage on multiple targets (say - 3-4 vampiric touches are awesome) and in addition debuff them a little by denying some of their spells.

ArkthePieKing
Monkey bussiness

Email
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 05:31:11 PM »

Yeah, I agree able learner might not be the greatest, but in my party I'm the only one with Trap Finding, and I don't want to CC Search or Disable Device. I need to keep those up so I can keep up my role as the primary, well, trap finder. Besides, I'm getting 5 skill points a level, and I don't use any of the Duskblade's skills. And like I said, this character was build for flavor, not effectiveness. =D
ninjarabbit
Hong Kong

Email
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 06:06:01 PM »

lion totem barbarian1/duskblade13/exoticweaponmaster1/abjurantchampion5

1-power attack, EWP: spiked chain
3-knowledge devotion
6-obtain familiar
9-WF: spiked chain
12-arcane strike
15-open feat
18-open feat

Pounce from lion totem barbarian and an extra attack from exotic weapon master
woodenbandman
Man in Gorilla Suit

Email
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 08:36:22 PM »

you can't arcane channel with a pounce. Arcane Channeling is made as part of a full attack, whereas pounce allows you to make a full attack as part of a charge, which is a seperate full round action.

It's pretty dubious in my opinion. I would probably allow it, but I don't know if the rules actually support it.

ChristopherGroves
Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 08:01:55 PM »

Finishing Duskblade ... Dramatically increasing their strengths

Lately I've been working on a new slew of challenges for the players in one of my casual games.  I've had my eye on a duskblade for a while.  Looking at what to do for the last seven levels, I've been trying to find some interesting, compelling and (because this is about optimization after all) strong ways to finish out Duskblade.

Duskblade 1-13
  • Ability to cast spells in armor
  • Combat Casting
  • Channel single touch spell on full attack
  • Quick cast 2/day
  • Spell power (ability to help overcome SR if you whack someone in melee) up to +3

Duskblade 14-20
  • Quick cast an additional 2/day
  • 5th level spells (at 18th)
  • Spell power +2 more

There are some serious things in that section ... namely the quick-casts.  It is, though, kinda boring.  The object then was to look for interesting things to put after Duskblade 13 into a build (that ran to 20).  This collection represnts just the stuff I've stumbled onto or come up with myself -- I'm sure there are more.

Small Combos, Dips & Fillers

There are plenty of classes that are good for a one- or two-level dip.  These could be good to shove in regardless, or you might find (like in the case of Escalation
Mage) that you're staring at a single level and not know what to do with it. 

Sandshaper
One feat, lose one casting level to get a huge boost to spells known.  Many of the bear/bull's/etc. family are a level lower than a sorc/wizard gets them and you can snag things like dispel magic at 3 (Duskblades usually get it as a 4th level spell).

Spellsword
It's a gimme.  You qualify, it advances casting for another arcane class if you're trying to stick another one in there.

Abjurant Champion
Again, you qualify for free.  If you're advancing something like a secondary arcane class you get Extended Abjurations free for nuttin'.

Kord's Champion
Requires 1 metamagic feat that can be anything, Energy Substitution (fire) and then Sanctified One of Kord 1 (with the Holy Fire class feature) and Elemental Savant 1.  This converts all your energy spells into [fire] through Elemental Savant, and then all the damage into divine energy from Sanctified One of Kord. 

Wild Mage
Magical Apptitude and Practiced Spellcaster and one level here nets you a +1d6 to your caster level.  Probably mostly handy for spell penetration and durations.

Dual-casters

Basically here we're talking about ...
Duskblade 13 / some casting class or accelerated caster / theurge

They vary, but are fundamentally similar.

Wizard 1 / Spellsword 1 (advancing wizard) / Abjurant Champion 1 (advancing wizard) / Ultimate Magus 4
Spellsword and Abjurant Champion are basically gimmes that advance wizard, you meet the prereqs and don't really lose anything.  You need a metamagic feat to enter and since you'll be able to burn spells to power it, pick one you'll use.
  • Wizard 7 casting, Duskblade 16 casting, BAB 17
  • Abrupt Jaunt immediate magic
  • Ability to move some spells across, all abjurations are extended and ability to burn spells and power metamagic

Cleric 3 / Mystic Theurge 4
  • Cleric 7 casting, Duskblade 17 casting
  • BAB 16

Divine Crusader 2 / Mystic Theurge 5
  • Weapon focus required
  • Pick one domain, get the ability and the spells to channel
  • 7th level spells
  • BAB 16
  • Could even snag Contemplative or other additional domain, etc. to add to the mix

Ur-Priest 2 / Mystic Theurge 5
  • Needs to be evil and costs two feats
  • WIS-based, turn undead but the full cleric spell list and 7th level spells
  • BAB 16, Duskblade casting 18

The model for these are all very similar, so I won't spend too much time on them.  In my opinion the UM option, Ur-Priest and Divine Crusader each outpace continuing as a Duskblade.

Incarnate or Totemist 2 / Soulcaster 5
  • Needs a feat to enter; Can add lots of maneuverability, defenses, etc. OR natural attacks (which you can use when you're channelling spells)

Binder / Anima Mage
  • Similar to Incarnate / Totemist ... add some variable capability to your Duskblade without hindering it's inherent capabilities much at all.

These are both solid and add versatility to your build.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 08:08:03 PM by ChristopherGroves » Logged
ChristopherGroves

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 08:21:07 PM »

Focused Builds
These are all built with specific concepts or ideas exploited.

Duskveil
Duskblade 13 / Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7
  • Feat intensive, but you get a hella lot for those feats.
Needs:
  • Spell Focus (abjuration), Greater Spell Focus (abjuration), Skill Focus (spellcraft)
  • Illumian w/ the Krau sigil & Improved or Heighten Spell
Characteristics:
  • Casts as a Duskblade 20
  • BAB 16
  • All seven veils, double warding, etc. 
Notes:
  • Use a reach weapon (which Duskblades usually do anyway) like a glaive.  You've got really good defenses now.  Incidentially, "Duskveil" is one of the random illumian names you can generate.  Nifty.

Phrenic Duskblade
Duskblade 13 / Warmind 7
(or Duskblade 15 / Warmind 5 ... or Duskblade 13 / Warmind 5 / Cerebremancer 2)
Needs:
  • Wild Talent or a Psionic Race, some skills
Benefits:
  • BAB 20
  • Duskblade casting 13
  • Warmind manifesting 7
Notes:
The quesiton here is whether or not the increased chain of personal superiority and DR is worth it to you for either a quickcast (from Duskblade 15) or two additional duskblade casting levels.  Either way, Sweeping Strike + Channel Spell + Arcane Strike alone is pretty serious, throw in some Warmind buffs and you're looking pretty good.

Unseen Duskthief
Duskblade 13 / Spellthief 1 / Unseen Seer 6
Needs:
  • Some skills.  You should consider taking Spellthief first and Able Learner.
Benefits:
  • Constant non-detection
  • 4d6 sneak attack
  • Duskblade casting 19
  • CL changes (divination up, others down) ... Master Spellthief can be helpful with this
  • Two advanced learnings for any divination spell (lore of the gods, unluck, hunter's eye ... etc.)
  • BAB 17
Notes:
  • Master Spellthief isn't really needed, but could be handy to mitigate the divination CL changes.

Duskrager
Duskblade 13 / Barbarian 1 / Rage Mage 6
Needs:
  • You've got everything you need
Benefits:
  • Pounce (Lion Totem Barbarian), Whirling Frenzy (UA variant ... extra attack yo)
  • Rage (and spellrage) 2/day.  Some various CL and DC boosts during rage
  • Duskblade casting 19
  • BAB 18
Notes:
  • Extend Rage is your friend.  Extra rage won't get you the additional spellrage so not huge use there.  Whirling Frenzy is a nice way to snag another hit with your
    full-attack channel.

Duskwyrm
Duskblade 13 / Wyrm Wizard 7
Needs:
  • Arcane Preparation, any Metamagic feat (and you'll use this one so make it something good)
Benefits:
  • Casts as an 18th level Duskblade, 5th level spells
  • Spell Research - pick 3 spells from any list to add to your spells known.  Ever wanted favor of the martyr, hound of doom or celerity?
  • Bonus to Knowledge Arcana
  • BAB 16
  • One free metamagic on a 2nd level spell, one free metamagic on a 4th level spell ... (up to +4 adjustment)
Notes:
What gish doesn't like persistent spells?  Oh yeah, you can also burn any 3rd level spell or higher to cast dispel magic.  Funny thing is, you don't have to KNOW it ... and if you did, it would normally be a 4th level spell for you.

Escalation Blade
Duskblade 13 / Escalation Mage 6 / Something 1
Needs:
  • Metamagic feat, but you don't need it to do the escalations so it can be a sudden-whatever feat
Benefits:
  • BAB 16
  • Duskblade casting 19
  • 10 free metamagics
Notes:
Escalations require a CL check against the spell level ... and since you're spell levels are relatively low you've got a good chance to succeed.  Also has one level left over to play with.

Dukblade Recaster
  • Changeling … Duskblade 13 / Recaster 5 / X 2
Needs:
  • Changeling Race
  • two Metamagic Feats (empower, extend, enlarge, etc.)
Benefits:
  • Quicken Spell 5/day (plus your existing quick-casts)
  • Eschew Materials
  • Alter spell areas (not that useful, but there it is)
  • Add two spells from any list (but not at your highest level) ... again from any list
  • Sudden metamagic 5/day (still, silent, enlarge, extend or maximize ... so make sure you have these as your qualifying feats) - in addition to quicken
Notes:
  • Delay Recaster 4/5 towards end to get a 4th level spell; BAB is 15 before final levels.

Others to Consider
Plenty of the little utility casters that are not full-casting classes and thus ignored by the serious wizards, etc. are perfect for you.  It isn't like they will keep you from getting 9th level spells ... you're a fighter, who happens to have a back pocket full of spellslots and not a primary caster.

• Impure Prince (Magic of Eberron) advances casting (4 of 6), adds to your spell list ... and gives foritifcation 50%.
  • Dragon Disciple 2 ... claws / bite and STR +2 (plus two more spell slots) ... the big winner here are the extra attacks
  • Martial Adept 1 / Jade Pheonix Mage 6 ... full BAB, advances casting and some martial maneuvers for the heck of it. 

« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:21:27 PM by ChristopherGroves » Logged
InnaBinder
Grape ape

OnnaTable

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 09:34:30 PM »

Others to Consider
Plenty of the little utility casters that are not full-casting classes and thus ignored by the serious wizards, etc. are perfect for you.  It isn't like they will keep you from getting 9th level spells ... you're a fighter, who happens to have a back pocket full of spellslots and not a primary caster.

* Impure Prince (Magic of Eberron) advances casting (4 of 6), adds to your spell list ... and gives foritifcation 50%.
    * Dragon Disciple 2 ... claws / bite and STR +2 (plus two more spell slots).
    * Martial Adept 1 / Jade Pheonix Mage 6 ... full BAB, advances casting and some martial maneuvers for the heck of it. 
+1
Duskblade 13/Spellsword 1/Impure Prince 6 is flavorful AND useful.

Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?
ChristopherGroves

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 09:37:01 PM »

Though ... By default, if you are choosing to add one level to your duskblade I'd go Abjurant Champion first.  Same BAB, same spell advancement, better HP and free Extended Abjurations.

But yeah ... works well.

So does a level of Sandshaper yammed in there.
carnivore
Grape ape

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2008, 05:25:21 AM »

wow ... nice work ChristopherGroves

good job

Smile

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 »
  Print  

Jump to: