http://brilliantgameologists.com
April 24, 2017, 01:19:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Sode - 300 – Brilliant Gameologists Is...  (Read 4729 times)
Josh
Brilliant Gameologist
Grape ape

Email
« on: July 09, 2009, 12:17:43 AM »

This episode is “Not Safe For Work.” Of course none of these episodes are safe for work. If this is your first time listening, congratulations. Anyway, use headphones or at least look around a bit to see if your co workers can hear.

We explain what this podcast is about. We also offer our two major warnings:

• We use naughty words and describe adult situations
  • This podcast uses “humor”

This is not a regular episode. However is a good place to start listening. Listen to this episode first and then one of our regular episodes.

I) We lead with some warnings.

Q: Why all the warnings?

A: Much of the criticism leveled at the show is from people who have not listened. And in fact never will listen because this is not their type of show. Not liking a “type” of show is perfectly natural. But if you would not listen to a comedian, like our patron saint George Carlin, don't complain that our show is too much like him. Similarly, if you don't think George Carlin, Lewis Black or Lambchop are funny, you are not going to like this either.

I am not saying all this to bring you down. I am putting it all out there so you stop bringing other people down.

II) Then we talk about the podcast, afterschool special style

The highlights: We are trying to “Build a Community.” Our aim is to bring new people to the hobby, introduce people to new games and to move people along in their understanding of the hobby.

III) Our Mission statements.

We sat down and said “here are our goals for our podcast” then we worked with those goals for two years. During that time they grew and evolved. We discovered how important some topics are and how unimportant others are.

Now we present these topics so you can provide feedback. Are we meeting these goals? Are we not? What could we do better? And so forth.

Listen to the episode for all the information, but here is a list that summarizes:

• We are trying to be informative and helpful.
  • We seek to help new gamers and help old gamers branch out.
  • We talk about gaming theories.
  • We want people to get out and play.
  • We focus on adult level game play.
  • We want you to play games well.
  • We want to grow “the” community and “our” community.
  • We offer useful honest reviews.
  • We seek to be entertaining.

This list is the most important part for you guys. 

Do you think we meet these goals?  Do you understand these goals?

Is there something else we could do?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:33:17 AM by Josh » Logged

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009
pfooti
Bi-Curious George

Pants are for Suckers

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 08:32:42 AM »

"What do you want? Should I email you? Should I put this on your primary action item list? You decide your own level of involvement!"

But seriously. Fun episode. Plus, I'm always one for obscenity.
Robert Bohl
Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 08:35:49 AM »

I get why you say this is a good episode to start with, but I'd argue it's not. It's full sof tell-don't-show. It lacks the humor, spontinaity, and interesting ideas that your show has when it's hot.

For the record, I'm not crapping on the episode. It's just fine. I just don't think it's a good introduction to your show.

Thom
Monkey bussiness

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 04:01:43 AM »

This is the second time you guys have blown my mind. I spend all day long using "safe for work" speech, then come home and mind my manners until bedtime. Podcasting should be about having fun and letting it all out without worrying about whether or not you're going to offend someone else. Granted, you guys were already doing that, but having it laid out in front of me was an eye opener.

In case you're wondering, the first time you messed with my head was when you explained that Min/Max was a good thing and I understood I've been doing it for years and falsely accusing it as a homewrecker.
Kai
(rhymes with pie)
Honorary Moderator
Donkey Kong

Don't panic!

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 05:57:34 PM »

I'd say this is a good episode to listen to first, but only if you were going to pair it with a normal episode immediately afterward. It does lay out your mission quite well, but I agree with Robert that it doesn't have your trademark stamp ("humor, spontinaity, and interesting ideas") on it.

I get why you say this is a good episode to start with, but I'd argue it's not. It's full sof tell-don't-show. It lacks the humor, spontinaity, and interesting ideas that your show has when it's hot.

For the record, I'm not crapping on the episode. It's just fine. I just don't think it's a good introduction to your show.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: