http://brilliantgameologists.com
March 24, 2017, 11:54:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The Utility Belt; or what you should be wearing around your waist  (Read 152495 times)
dark_samuari
Hong Kong

Email
« on: May 11, 2009, 02:13:52 AM »

The Utility Belt

"The true crimefighter always carries everything he needs in his utility belt,"- The Batman

Within the career of adventuring many explorers may find themselves lacking a certain something, and while they are happy with their cloak of resistance, that money could have gone better spent through the small and combustible items of the magical realm. That's what this mini-handbook is to about. Because when you want to be frugal, you should be really frugal. This process relies on you possessing a belt of hidden pouches, which while containing only 30 pockets, can be an indispensable tool on a quest. So without further ado, let us begin...  

Necessary
A Belt of Hidden Pouches (RotW; 5,000 GP): This little beauty contains 10 pockets which function as mini bags of holding. Now the 10 pockets can only hold up to 1/2 cubic space or 5 pounds and no object larger than 6 inches but every item inside weighs 1/10th the original. Hidden behind each pocket are two additional pockets (which function as the original 10) and can only be accessed by a secret command word (I suggest a word in Druidic, because who really knows Druidic?). With it never wearing you down (it's max weight would ever be 15 pounds), this is the foundation of your utility belt.  

Utility
Bolt Cutters (A&E; 6 GP): Dealing 15 damage to any metal bars as thick as 1 inch these are a lot more subtle then your friendly barbarian smashing a jail window or city grate.
Camouflage Paint (MC; 1,500 GP): Up to 5 times this jar can add a little something to aid the party commando.  
Clearwater Tablet (CSco; 1 GP): Purifies 1 gallon of water, removing poisons, diseases or any other toxins.
Dust of Dryness (DMG; 850 GP): Absorbs 100 gallons of water into a pellet then releases it upon burst. Going off the Decanter of Endless Water, bursting this pellet would unleash the equivalent of 3 geyser effects at once.
Forger’s Paper (CSco; 10 GP): Turning transparent to allow the tracing of documents & signatures, this a handy little item when needed.  
Heartfire (RoS; 10 GP): Twelve cubes that when wet give off no heat but 20ft. of light and 20ft. of additional shadow illumination for 24 hours and can be reused by drying off the cube. These are what torches want to be...
Papyrus of Deception (CAdv; 2,000 GP): This is for when you really need to get a job done. Not only does it format it self to replicate the purposed document but is also reusable.
Inquisitive's Kit (Eb; 300 GP): Clocking in at 4 pounds this pack contains glass, wood and metal containers of different shapes, silk gloves, brushes, tweezers and probes, a magnifying lens, ink and quills, chalk and charcoal, parchment sheets and a small journal. This is essentially the Batman component of any utility belt.  
Metal Tongs (A&E; 3 GP): When you don't want to touch something.
Quall’s Feather Token-Anchor (DMG; 50 GP): Rendering a floating vessel immobile for 1 day, this item can give you a 24 hour window of time while out at sea should something arise as well as ending a sea ship battle should you get this onto the enemies vessel.  
Quall’s Feather Token-Tree (DMG; 100 GP): Creates a 60’ tall oak tree. I don't think I should need to you sell you. Ever be playing and suddenly think a 60' tree could aid the situation? Yeah me to, every session no less.
Small Magnet (A&E; 10 GP): Attracts metallic objects of 3 pounds or less.
Sunrod (PH; 2 GP): When struck it gives off 30 ft. of light and another 30 ft. of shadow illumination that lasts for 6 hours. The fantasy equivalent of a flare.
Tindertwig (PH; 1 GP): When scraped on its chemical end it ignites. The fantasy equivalent of a match.
Universal Solvent (DMG; 50 GP): Wash away any adhesive.

Digestible  
Everlasting Rations (MC; 350 GP): Contains enough rations for a single individual which spawn every new day.
Frenzy Water (A&E; 15 GP): Ever needed to make an NPC look like an ass during a social engagement, well here's your golden ticket. Losing a fortitude save of 15, the individual flies into a rage.  
Garlic (A&E; 1 cp): For 1 copper piece you can hold off every vampire in town.
Healing Salve (MC; 2,250 GP): Within 10 applications one can cure them self in increments of 1d8 up to 3d8.
Holy Water (PH; 25 GP): While a measly 2d4 damage to an evil outsider or evil may not send them fleeing, but if you can trick them into drinking this be it through charm or a challenge to drinking game well then you have presented enough time to escape.
Keoghtom’s Ointment (DMG; 4,000 GP): 5 uses of Neutralize Poison, Remove Disease, or Cure Light Wounds.
Sausage (A&E; 1 GP): You know what Baron's like to own? Dogs. You know what dogs like, this. Pepper it with some Oil of Taggit (mentioned later) and you've dissolved a possible bloody affair and alert system.  
Trail Bar (CSco; 1 GP): Provides 24 hours of nourishment.

Offensive

50 Explosive Shurikens (18,310 GP): If you can't find a useful reason for an explosion then you frankly aren't playing the right game.
Acid (PH; 10 GP): While it can be used for a weapon, it's main beauty is burning through locks and other objects.
Alchemist’s Spark (Eb; 25 GP): When thrown up to 10ft. it produces 1d6 electricity damage. If you can swing it by your DM and set it up, you can potentially take out an entire group of mooks by throwing this when they are in some water.
Blast Disk (MC; 900 GP): These 'mines' can be set to explode for 5d6 fire damage by timer or proximity. Diversion, trap or a way to cover an exit these can come in handy.
Blight Stone (MC; 300 GP): Explodes in a 10ft. radius dealing 5d6 to all plants & plant creatures.
Daylight Pellet (MC; 150 GP): Creates a daylight effect up to 50ft. upon burst for 10 rounds. May prove to be useful during a trek through the underdark.
Dust of Disturbance (RoE; 4,500 GP): Creatures within a 10ft. area will be unable to gain restful sleep, regain spells and become fatigued then exhausted following exposure. In any game featuring a wizard duel or competition this can help push the advantage towards you if you're subtle enough when using it.
Metalline Dagger (MC; 8,301 GP): The all-purpose knife able to switch from adamantine, cold iron, silver and back to simple metal.
Oil of Taggit (PH; 90 GP): A simple enough indigestible poison that carries a secondary effect of unconsciousness following a fort DC of 15.  
Sovereign Glue (DMG; 2,400 GP): An Impossible to break glue covering 1 square foot.
Sun Flash Pellet (Und; 6,000): Creates a sunburst effect upon burst. Vampires, fucking everywhere these days...
Tanglefoot Bag (PH; 50 GP): When thrown up to 10ft. it sticks a creature to the floor for 2d4 rounds. For some simple battlefield control this works.
TanglePatch (MC; 200 GP): When thrown up to 50ft. it’s burst creates an entangle effect for 5 rounds. For some better battlefield control this works.  
Thunderstone (PH; 30 GP): When thrown up to 20ft. it creates a thunderous bang forcing all within a 10 ft. radius to possibly be deafened for an hour. Mooks can't follow orders if they can't hear orders.

Defensive

Amazing Lock (PH; 150 GP): Few individuals in a fantasy realm can make an open lock check of 40.
Dust of Appearance (DMG; 1,800 GP): Destroys blur, displacement and other visual effects for 5 minutes upon thrown. When visibility is important.
Glitter Stone (MC; 450 GP): When thrown up to 10ft. destroys invisibility or hide checks upon burst within 10 ft. When visibility is sort of important.
Golembane Scarab (DMG; 2,500 GP): Detect Golems within 60’ and bypass their damage reduction. You know what Barons love even more than dogs? Golems. And being able to detect them within 60ft. and bypass their damage reduction can make the difference between a happy or sad ending.
Insectbane Candle (A&E; 1 SP): For 1 silver piece no vermin will approach you within 5ft. for an hour. Hello underdark!
Marbles (A&E; 2 SP): The destroyer of Frenzied Beserkers everywhere. Forcing a balance check of 15, this can topple near every medium-sized foe you encounter (because seriously, who puts points in balance?).
Masterwork Manacles (PH; 50 GP): Forcing a strength check of 28 and an escape artist check of 35, few will be escaping these bonds, especially when used in conjunction with an amazing lock (as mentioned above).
Powder of the Black Viel (CAdv; 750 GP): Creates a blinding cloud effect for 1d4 rounds in a 10 by 10 cube, just like the magicians do!  
Silver Holy Symbol (PH: 25 GP): Can repel nasties and if it comes down to it can be sharpened or melted down into weapon form for werewolf hunting.
Slashing Sand (Sand; 2,000 GP): Creates a spike stone effect over 200 sq. feet for 5 hours, for when you really want to cover an exit.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:49:04 PM by dark_samuari » Logged
Vinom
Hong Kong

Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 02:49:58 AM »

I like it, fun and functional for a high gold low XP adventure with a magic item depot

But you might want to add in a portable hole and maybe kobold folding traps to utility and battlefield control, respectively.

A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.
BowenSilverclaw
Organ Grinder

Walking that fine line between genius and insanity

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 03:58:49 AM »

Very nice Smile

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.  
Ivory Knight
Curious George

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 06:17:58 AM »

Nice collection, but I'd add some more Items from Sandstorm(all but Filter mask are on page 102):
Filter Mask(1gp & -): Cheap, if you suddenly need +2 on saves against gasbased effects, mundane and magic dust(includes sand).
Liquid Salt(200gp & 1lb for 1 flask): Kinda pricey, but it deals more damage than other Splash Weapons(especially against plants & Water elementals).
Oleum(30gp & 1lb for 1 flask): Bad substitute for Alchemists Fire, but can also create Heavy Smoke(that repels flying insects) or lubricate moving parts.
Shapesand(12lbs cost 100gp): If Wisdom wasn't your dumpstat, 2 pockets filled with this stuff can replace many tools.
Slumber Sand(50gp & 1lb for 1 flask): Either use for a DC 15 Sleepeffect, or as material component to enhance Sleepspells.

Vinom
Hong Kong

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 12:08:10 PM »

Also, a wand of cure lights(incase the team healer is down), a bottle of air (Incase of sudden emersion in water, vacume, or stone, a limitless airsupply is grand), Unguent of Timelessness (make zombies last, embalm your battle trophies, keep the part of your ally your holding onto to get resurected from rotting away, at 150g for 8 medium creatures worth its a cheap and useful item), although it's pricey an Instant Fortress is 12 times better than camping with 4 scrolls of Wall of Stone, plus it's reuseable.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:17:31 PM by Vinom » Logged

A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Bauglir
Man in Gorilla Suit

TriOptimum

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 04:26:08 PM »

a wand of cure lights

Naw, you want a Wand of Lesser Vigor. More bang for your buck.

So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.
Agita
Organ Grinder

SFT is mai waifu.

Justym2c
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 04:49:22 PM »

Filter Mask(1gp & -): Cheap, if you suddenly need +2 on saves against gasbased effects, mundane and magic dust(includes sand).
It may be worth noting that this means immunity to good old Dust of Sneezing and Choking for 1 gp.

It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation
The_Mad_Linguist
Organ Grinder

Simulated Thing

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 10:07:12 PM »

Ten thousand candles: Cost: 100 gp, negligible weight.

For when you really need something scouter-crushingly large.

Also, add in several slings.  They're free, and weigh nothing, and straps of leather can always come in handy.

Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.
Vinom
Hong Kong

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 10:09:46 PM »

Add maybe 5 immovable rods, cause you never know when you'll need to climb up to a floating city.

The_Mad_Linguist
Organ Grinder

Simulated Thing

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 10:21:26 PM »

Immovable rods are a little too expensive...

One thing you should definitely add is "The red book: a hobbit's tale with fifty lengthy appendicies" - that is, a masterwork tool for knowledge.  Best 50 gp you'll ever spend.

Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.
Vinom
Hong Kong

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 10:27:10 PM »

The only time a full belt would be feasible is in a large treasure but low exp game...
Is batman a rogue/monk gestalt?

Sinfire Titan
Organ Grinder

You've got one round to give a rat's ass.

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 10:31:26 PM »

Your price on the Metalline Dagger and Shurikens is off by the MWK component. Add 300gp to both of those, and you're set.

Vinom
Hong Kong

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 10:51:32 AM »

Although it's a bit pricey, nothing trumps the versitility of Nolzur's Marvelous Pigment, I know having to make a Craft (painting) check might deter you, but take 20 and use bardic knack, and you can make new weapons, armor, food, battering rams, spell components, any non-magic substance, even lava if you want.

Bauglir
Man in Gorilla Suit

TriOptimum

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 10:55:19 AM »

Oh, and the tree feather token costs 400 gp, not 100.

So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.
Sinfire Titan
Organ Grinder

Email
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 10:57:27 AM »

The only time a full belt would be feasible is in a large treasure but low exp game...

Batman is a Wizard.

Wizards are also GODs.

Batman is therefore GOD.

Deth Muncher
Ring-Tailed Lemur

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 12:23:53 PM »

Batman is a Wizard.

Wizards are also GODs.

Batman is therefore GOD.

Transitive property is yay!

Also, very nice utility belt. I second the shapesand, since it can replace many of the mundane items on the list. However, I'm not sure if you can replicate ALL of it, i.e. bolt cutters or Amazing Lock.
Sinfire Titan
Organ Grinder

Email
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 12:46:27 PM »

Bolt Cutters can be duplicated if they are not made of Adamantine.

Ivory Knight
Curious George

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 01:05:30 PM »

Amazing Lock won't work, as a thief simply could wrestle control over the shapesand from you for 1 round and unshape(or simply open) it.
That's the reason, why I also refrain from making Weapons out of Shapesand. It's good only for out of combat use.

Sinfire Titan
Organ Grinder

Email
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 01:07:54 PM »

Amazing Lock won't work, as a thief simply could wrestle control over the shapesand from you for 1 round and unshape(or simply open) it.
That's the reason, why I also refrain from making Weapons out of Shapesand. It's good only for out of combat use.

Mindless undead hate Shapesand Tanglefoot Bags.

bayar
That monkey with the orange ass cheeks

Email
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 02:35:37 PM »

Vials of explosive breath from Dragon magic - expensive but deal damage and have - weight

Pages: 1 2 3 4 »
  Print  

Jump to: