http://brilliantgameologists.com
May 28, 2017, 11:50:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Rebalancing Exotic Weapons  (Read 9084 times)
Kuroimaken
Organ Grinder

« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2009, 12:27:09 AM »

Technically, the good thing about the shuriken is that it counts as ammo, and thus it's easy to enchant. Flurry technically doesn't apply to it because a monk can only use flurry with melee weapons - stupid, I know, but there you have it.

Technically, it specifically states you can flurry with shuriken. Smile There's nothing in there about melee weapons, just a list of what you can use. I tend to agree with you, but they're so minor (and really, every ninja movie you see has them flinging shuriken around) that it's not a big deal.

So, I was right on the whole? That doesn't really happen a lot, but yeah, I think we can agree then that as a monk weapon, TWFing, flurried, free action to draw, easily enchanted makes the shuriken likely worth some exotic pre-reqs to be used that way. Can Rapid Shot/Many Shot/similar feats also be added in and used in conjunction with some combination of these other features? Then again, if someone apparently has to meet so many requirements already simply to be able to do all that in the first place... are there really any pre-reqs to add? Probably not... maybe it was a moot point from the start...

I just checked on the monk's flurry of blows ability - no mention of it being melee only. But then again, the shuriken is the only ranged weapon on that list. Pretty much everything that applies to ranged throwing weapons applies to shuriken, but I don't think you can flurry and use Rapid shot/Manyshot with it. And even as a throwing weapon it's not much to look at. The range is pathetic, so is base damage and crit, and the only class that might get some use out of the thing can't use the class feature that has to do with it efficiently.

Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Sinfire Titan
Organ Grinder

You've got one round to give a rat's ass.

Email
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2009, 02:26:26 AM »

I just checked on the monk's flurry of blows ability - no mention of it being melee only. But then again, the shuriken is the only ranged weapon on that list. Pretty much everything that applies to ranged throwing weapons applies to shuriken, but I don't think you can flurry and use Rapid shot/Manyshot with it. And even as a throwing weapon it's not much to look at. The range is pathetic, so is base damage and crit, and the only class that might get some use out of the thing can't use the class feature that has to do with it efficiently.

Well, one of the strategies we advocated in the Utility Belt handbook was +1 Explosive Shurikens. That's gotta count for something, right?

Kerrick
Domesticated Capuchin Monkey

« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2009, 10:52:09 AM »

Pretty much everything that applies to ranged throwing weapons applies to shuriken, but I don't think you can flurry and use Rapid shot/Manyshot with it.
I'd tend to agree.

And even as a throwing weapon it's not much to look at. The range is pathetic, so is base damage and crit, and the only class that might get some use out of the thing can't use the class feature that has to do with it efficiently.
Yeah, that's why I just made them martial.

Project Phoenix. 4E the way it should have been done.
Kuroimaken
Organ Grinder

« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2009, 11:31:50 AM »

Well, one of the strategies we advocated in the Utility Belt handbook was +1 Explosive Shurikens. That's gotta count for something, right?

Yes, but that can be done to any throwing weapon, or even ammo...

Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: