http://brilliantgameologists.com
April 23, 2017, 09:52:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Bonus # 10 - Roundtable 1  (Read 6588 times)
Josh
Brilliant Gameologist
Grape ape

Email
« on: March 25, 2009, 12:41:57 AM »

Episode is up
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 12:52:58 AM by Josh » Logged

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009
Robert Bohl
Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 10:31:07 AM »

Oh man, that was so much fucking fun.

By the way, those of you who are listening can find Joshua at http://glyphpress.com/

Meg
Message Board Extraordinaire
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 12:14:47 PM »

Edit:
News:

The BG’s have one more event coming up.

* April 3-5: I-Con, Long Island New York- we are featured guests and are going to record some of the guests in attendance! We have panels on Saturday and promise special prizes to anyone who comes and finds us!

This week we were joined by

* Joshua AC Newman - Writer of Shock and media darling
    * Rob Bohl  - Writer of Misspent Youth and host of Independent Insurgency

Icebreaker: We Discuss Negativity on (our) Message Boards
Main Topic: We Discuss Rob’s Live Journal Post about creativity.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 12:16:26 PM by Meg » Logged

All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!
Josh
Brilliant Gameologist
Grape ape

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 01:15:56 PM »

I was hobo ham tired when I finally got this episode out.

Justice
Ring-Tailed Lemur

11718800 robjustice@hotmail.com RobJustice777 x3n0priest
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:33:21 AM »

Gah. You guys suck. Everything about this episode sucks. Your face, mom, and dog all suck.

Josh
Brilliant Gameologist
Grape ape

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 10:18:36 AM »

In other news, I think Rob has finally convinced me to get a Mac.

Robert Bohl

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 10:28:04 AM »

I didn't k ow I was trying.

Joshua A.C. Newman
Monkey bussiness

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 01:08:17 PM »

HARUDO GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEI!

UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ

Meg
Message Board Extraordinaire
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 01:20:31 PM »

Gah. You guys suck. Everything about this episode sucks. Your face, mom, and dog all suck.

This shows why we love you so much.  Always making sure we're grounded.

All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!
Justice
Ring-Tailed Lemur

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 02:07:30 PM »

(Rob Justice: Devolving threads into Hard Gay posts. Only here on Brilliant Gameologists)

Joshua A.C. Newman
Monkey bussiness

Email
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 03:54:45 PM »

Dude, I registered for that sole purpose.
Justice
Ring-Tailed Lemur

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 04:06:59 PM »

Dude, I registered for that sole purpose.

Then this one is for you:

Joshua A.C. Newman
Monkey bussiness

Email
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 04:14:30 PM »

Hooooo!
veekie
Organ Grinder

WARNING: Homing Miko

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 06:52:35 PM »

(Rob Justice: Devolving threads into Hard Gay posts. Only here on Brilliant Gameologists)
I'm gonna find a place to use that, when it becomes appropriate.

If ever.

The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."
Robert Bohl

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 07:27:26 PM »

Posted about this on my blog (and Twitter, and Facebook).

Josh
Brilliant Gameologist
Grape ape

Email
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 09:13:53 PM »

I didn't k ow I was trying.

Other Rob. 

When Apple releases the hard gay laptop, I will buy one.

Peaboo

Email
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 07:43:27 AM »

Another great episode, guys. Smile
Peaboo

Email
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 05:07:33 AM »

Okay, while I agree with Josh that 4e does a great job with combat, I have to disagree on the point that it's all D&D 4e does.

Rob said the DM gave him a look when he wanted to bluff the NPCs.

Right off the bat I want to say I like how our current DM is running things combat wise, I know I would run things a little differently so there would be more role playing. You only get out of this game what you put in. If you mail it in and just set up the map, then a tactical combat game is what you get. I'll give a few examples here.

I have the first D&D 4e module because it had some of the basic rules and I wanted to see a preview of the game. I did NOT look at it at all while we were playing in the game. After we completed the module I did out of curiosity since there were so many accusations that 4e has no roleplaying. And I discovered that it does. Ignoring it doesn't make that fact go away.

The module has descriptions of some of the NPCs in Winterhaven. It describes what they know, and some of their motivations. Completely glossed over in our game as we never really spent any time in town chatting it up with the NPCs.

In one room there were runes on the floor. As our party crossed over the runes, rather than the DM saying "You hear a scream", he actually screamed. It was brilliant. It made everyone, including all the pets, jump. It was effective. (We'd like more of that, please! Not so much the screaming but the stepping out of the module use of D&D.)

The final battle of the module was fun, but could really have been something special if more were put in by both the DM and the players.

We set our minis out, the DM set out the bad guys. Then we hacked away until we won. Pretty much how Josh describes 4e as a great tactics combat game.

But the thing is, the module spells out how to role play the encounter. Right there, black and white, clear as crystal. (Paraphrasing): It's the first time the party comes face to face with BBEG, so this is his time to shine. Really play him up, taunting the characters with how he's going to raise them from the dead to be his slaves. Make the players hate him."

Again, not exact text. When we were playing, there were no taunts. Every one of us missed on our daily powers. THAT alone is worth comment. Josh kept rolling 4's, IIRC on all his rolls. If I were running it, that would have gotten extra taunts. "You guys SUCK! Maybe I shouldn't raise you from the dead." "If you suck that much while you're alive, how awful would you be when you're dead?" "Missed again? And you call yourselves heroes."

The module had roleplaying hints that were not used in that session.

This past week we approached a room. The minis were set up and we rolled initiative.

"Wait," said Meg "I want to bluff/intimidate them to joining our side." Were I running the game, the combat round would not have started, and Meg would have had to role play her argument as to why they should join up with the party.

But, Josh spoke up and said this was better as a tactical game and doesn't handle role playing very well. So, off we went to attack.

If others want to play this as a tactical minis game, that's fine with me, but don't say there's NO role playing or no support for it. You get out what you put in.

Big Grin
bhu
Organ Grinder

Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 05:59:07 AM »

I'm trying to catch up on the podcasts and listening to this episode the only comment coming to mind is: I'm a grumpy middle aged guy, and I don't hate you.  You guys make me giggle, somewhere in the darkness of my run down apartment.

And now that I've delivered my requisite potentially disturbing mental image of the day I believe I shall scamper off and get back to work.  Big Grin

Kai
(rhymes with pie)
Honorary Moderator
Donkey Kong

Don't panic!

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 12:14:27 AM »

About half way through with the episode. The ice breaker discussion on the board negativity was hands down the funniest thing I've heard in a while. I'll have to finish up listening after Kung-fu Panda...

Edit:

The rest of the 'cast was also very interesting. Sorry to hear about Josh's hair...

Another edit:

I love that there's about 10 minutes of show after you start to wrap things up and Zeke summarizes the episode.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 04:39:07 PM by Kai » Logged

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: