http://brilliantgameologists.com
March 24, 2017, 11:56:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Sode 32: 7 Gaming Resolutions (Meta 08)  (Read 7624 times)
Meg
Message Board Extraordinaire
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« on: January 05, 2009, 11:21:17 PM »

The show is up!
http://brilliantgameologists.com/blog/71

A Meta Show- we share our 7 resolutions to be a better gamer.  Will you play too?  Download your very own GAMER score sheet and let us know when you get Bingo!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:47:44 PM by Meg » Logged

All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!
Shoggoth
That monkey with the orange ass cheeks

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 12:08:14 AM »

Sweet, a new episode drops the night before I have to make a metro commute into DC. 

I can't wait to listen to it.

Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.
Talen Lee
Bi-Curious George

Forum Ninja

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 08:26:46 AM »

You missed a good joke here.

"This is the thirty-second episode of the Brilliant Gameologists. And now we're out of time." *blank pause*

I might just be overly tired. I might just be grumpy. But honestly... you guys have this bad habit of providing a nice summary of the whole podcast at the start. 'Try new stuff.' There's the whole episode in three words. Except you get to add to it Josh and Zeke's brand of humour. Which is not landing for me right now, perhaps due to aforementioned tiredness. Didn't you start this podcast with a resolution to not go back to tired jokes?

Also:
Quote from: my inbox
  fuckjoshdirectlyintheass@brilliantgameologists.com
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<fuckjoshdirectlyintheass@brilliantgameologists.com>:
    host brilliantgameologists.com [69.89.31.105]:
    550 No Such User Here
>:\
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:53:08 AM by Talen Lee » Logged

Fox Lee
Domesticated Capuchin Monkey

Me Grimfox KING!

38049868 foxlee@dodo.com.au JesseSensei JesseSensei
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 09:28:46 PM »

Convince another person to try a new game, eh? Play with people you haven't played with? Play a type of game you don't normally play?

I feel moved to invite you three to City of Heroes. From what I can gather, you guys generally don't play MMOs, and Meg in particular seems to have a bit of a mad-on for video games. I love City because it actually encourages playing multiple characters, lots of characters, and gives you the tools to make them unique (not just wearing different gear); thus, it's actually conducive to roleplay, unlike certain other MMOs I will not mention because I'm just bitter. They're also adding the ability to create your own storylines for the game, later this year, which pretty much screams "GM".

I can give out trial accounts, so no cost to you guys, natch. Try it out, fill in your own bingo cards ;p

Also, BGO is in an international community - you should announce your events in UTC. I understand why you'd mention EST specifically, but at the least, you should be in mind of your international audience. >:<

Shoggoth

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 01:26:25 AM »

I enjoyed this episode.  I already do most of these things on a regular basis, but it's always good to get a little more prodding.

Also, the content/bullshit ratio was much higher in this one than in the last one.  Thank you for that, the interesting content is really what I listen for.  You guys ARE funny, but if you're not actually there it's.....less.

I bet you throw some kickin' parties.

Still came that eldritch, mocking cry - "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!" and at last we remembered that the demoniac Shoggoths...had no voice save the imitated accents of their bygone masters.
Darth Krzysztof
Ring-Tailed Lemur

Texan Metal Sith Lord

darthkrzysztof
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 09:57:53 AM »

I already do most of these things on a regular basis, but it's always good to get a little more prodding.
Me too. I spent the last two years filling in things on the bingo card, but now I'll be doing them again -this- year.

My assumption is that "If you have to ask if it counts, then it doesn't count." Wink

As far as trying something new, I encourage everyone to try online chat-based roleplaying at some point this year. It may not be for everyone, but I didn't think it was for me, and I was wrong. Give it a shot, please. EDIT: I added a link to the uber-post I made about chat-based gaming to my sig.

I'm thinking about planning this year's vacation around a con.

I have a man-crush on Fillion, too. Any nerd who claims that he doesn't 1) is a liar, 2) is not a real nerd, or 3) has never seen him in anything.

"Tune In Tomorrow." I can't tell, are you guys being sarcastic?

And the one with the hillbillies is Deliverance.

P.S. I also like a woman's feet on my face... or wherever... and I'm not sure why I feel compelled to share that.

And God help me, I'm curious about this hot Snow White.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:47:29 PM by Darth Krzysztof » Logged

Cold Blood - my chat-based D&D v.3.5 Planescape campaign.

Read my diatribe about chat-based gaming here.
Dumb-Age Master
Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar

Abuser of Feather Token, Tree.

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 06:03:51 PM »

I liked Pay it Forward. Sad ending, though.
Shoggoth

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 06:05:33 PM »

As far as trying something new, I encourage everyone to try online chat-based roleplaying at some point this year. It may not be for everyone, but I didn't think it was for me, and I was wrong. Give it a shot, please.

I may have to do this.  I know I don't like PbP, but PbChat could be good, since you at least have the immediacy there.

And I actually plan my vacation time around GenCon every year.  It's the one thing I make a point to do every year, no matter what.  Although this year I may be going back to Origins for the first time in years, due to scheduling issues.

Kai
(rhymes with pie)
Honorary Moderator
Donkey Kong

Don't panic!

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 10:09:39 PM »

Enjoyed the episode, but I'm against making resolutions so I can't play along. The graphic wins though. Big Grin

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi
Wordman
Ring-Tailed Lemur

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 04:02:16 PM »

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 01:06:03 AM by Wordman » Logged

Ctrl ]
adam
Ring-Tailed Lemur

Tech support

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 05:48:26 PM »

I had both the Totin' Chit and the Toastin' Chit cards, Zeke.

I get your inside jokes.
MilwaukeeJoe
Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 09:22:29 AM »

After listening to this episode, I realized why I enjoy Brilliant Gameologists. It's like going to (insert your favorite fast food joint here, I like Steak N Shake) and downing 1500 calories in one sitting. It's so delicious, so greasy and filling.... Then I feel bad about myself afterward. Sad
arioch
Monkey bussiness

Large print giveth & small print taketh away

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 09:49:34 PM »

Listening to this episode, I was reminded of my brothers favourite joke:

Q: Knock, knock
A: Who's there?
Q: GO FUCK YOURSELF

My favourite on the other hand is more tame:

Q: What's brown and sticky?
A: A stick.

Thanks for the gags.

Sometimes, when I drive across the desert in the middle of the night, with no other cars around, I start imagining: What if there were no civilization out there? No cities, no factories, no people? And then I think: No people or factories? Then who made this car? And this highway? And I get so confused I have to stick my head out the window into the driving rain---unless there\'s lightning, because I could get struck on the head by a bolt.
anomalousman

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 09:58:11 PM »

Q. What's brown and sticky?

A. This joke
Josh
Brilliant Gameologist
Grape ape

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 01:09:19 AM »

Q: What's big and brown and looks like a moose?

A: A moose

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009
Meg
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 06:32:59 PM »

I just reopened the poll as the answer hasn't been released yet.

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!
Meg
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »

Convince another person to try a new game, eh? Play with people you haven't played with? Play a type of game you don't normally play?

I feel moved to invite you three to City of Heroes. From what I can gather, you guys generally don't play MMOs, and Meg in particular seems to have a bit of a mad-on for video games. I love City because it actually encourages playing multiple characters, lots of characters, and gives you the tools to make them unique (not just wearing different gear); thus, it's actually conducive to roleplay, unlike certain other MMOs I will not mention because I'm just bitter. They're also adding the ability to create your own storylines for the game, later this year, which pretty much screams "GM".

I can give out trial accounts, so no cost to you guys, natch. Try it out, fill in your own bingo cards ;p

Also, BGO is in an international community - you should announce your events in UTC. I understand why you'd mention EST specifically, but at the least, you should be in mind of your international audience. >:<

I've actually been thining about this since you posted- just haven't responded- but I think I could be convinced to try City of Heroes.  I think I'm ready to try the MMO drug again.

For times- I thought about it, and may- I just figured for consistency it was best to stick with one time zone (the one we're in) and have others convert to us instead of us trying to convert to everyone else.  But it's a good point I'll be mindful of in the future.

Fox Lee
Domesticated Capuchin Monkey

Me Grimfox KING!

38049868 foxlee@dodo.com.au JesseSensei JesseSensei
WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 05:05:55 PM »

I've actually been thining about this since you posted- just haven't responded- but I think I could be convinced to try City of Heroes.  I think I'm ready to try the MMO drug again.

Good for you Evil Just let me know what address I should drop the invite to.

For times- I thought about it, and may- I just figured for consistency it was best to stick with one time zone (the one we're in) and have others convert to us instead of us trying to convert to everyone else.  But it's a good point I'll be mindful of in the future.
Thanks for the consideration ^^ I'm not suggesting you don't mention it in your local timezone as well, of course. I just think it's worth including the "standardised" time as well.

<edit>Oh, and I think something is missing from the bingo card - "run a game". I know it doesn't apply to everybody, because plenty of us have already run games, but the same could be said for most things on the card. And I tend to think everybody should try running a game (even if it's only a few sessions) at least once, if only so they understand the GM's point of view when they're on the other side of the table. And - in groups where there's only one or two GMs - to give the poor GM a chance the play Tongue</edit>
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 05:11:19 PM by Fox Lee » Logged

Darth Krzysztof
Ring-Tailed Lemur

Texan Metal Sith Lord

darthkrzysztof
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 04:30:23 PM »

You might also resolve to try GMing if you never have before, or to play more if all you do is GM...

Cold Blood - my chat-based D&D v.3.5 Planescape campaign.

Read my diatribe about chat-based gaming here.
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: