http://brilliantgameologists.com
September 02, 2014, 02:49:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com
 
   Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CHAPTER 1 -- Ever Get That Sinking Feeling...?  (Read 4592 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
amalcon
Ring-Tailed Lemur
**
Posts: 30


« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 08:22:58 AM »

Talman glances around, worriedly.  He seems distinctly uncomfortable while in this room, but does not say anything.  He steps out into the hallway and looks contemplative:  he's probably back to trying to think of a purpose for that trap.


After a few minutes of utterly deafening silence, Talman returns to the room.  He speaks in a somewhat shaky tone: "I suppose we could rest here.  I'd like to make sure nothing in that rubble is... capable of leaving it."  He starts absentmindedly cleaning his claws against each other.  That trap doesn't seem meant to keep anyone in...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 10:54:39 AM by amalcon » Logged
DaveTheMagicWeasel
Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
***
Posts: 188


If you optimize it, they will come


Email
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 05:16:49 PM »

Owain drifted silently about the pile of rubble, carefully inspecting the edges before climbing the pile to continue the search.  His nose twitched as he worked.

Doesn't seem like much is down here, and we could all use the rest.  We'll have to set a good watch of course."

DC 18 Fort save vs fatigue (1d20+13=18)

Take 20 on Listen (40), Spot (40), Search (22) and Wis-check for Scent (25).  Assuming all seems clear he's fine with resting.
Logged

Omen of Peace
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1053


Wise Madman


« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 03:15:10 PM »

Elia looks around at her companions, who all seem a bit down. Too bad Maraxus isn't here to sing something that would cheer them up.
She waits while Owain scrutinizes every inch of the cavern. Once he seems satisfied, she nods to herself.
"You guys go to sleep right away - you know I don't need much sleep." She speaks on top of Owain as he was going to offer to take first watch.

She cartwheels through the cavern until she reaches the rubble, picks up a rock and throws it at the top of a heap. Nothing happens, so she plops herself down there and waits for her friends to unpack their sleeping bags, or perhaps their food.
Logged

Silanah heard their songs and prayers. And she watched. Sometimes mortals did indeed forget. Sometimes, mortals needed… reminding…
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson
AlisAtAn
That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
****
Posts: 240


sveinung.wassvik@gmail.com
Email
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 02:59:30 AM »


Resting sounds good. Oh and Elia, this is a err... Themesex room. Right. Y`know, Sadomasochism and stuff. Basically Spanking and poking. Gnomes even do it at family reunions.

Logged

Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."


DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental
Omen of Peace
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1053


Wise Madman


« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 07:43:12 PM »

Why does he say things he doesn't mean ? I don't get it.
Or... is he trying to cheer us up ?


"So you think Gnomes built that ? The stuff doesn't seem the right size for them."
Merry just shakes his head at her inability to understand some kinds of humor.

Then Owain and him put their heads together to come up with the organization of the watches while Talman inspects the rubble. Elia starts to draw a circle on the floor with the point of her dagger, then she carves symbols into it. She whispers to herself all the while.

But then she is called over and told that she is to sleep first, so she abandons her work. She finds herself a corner with little rubble, evens the ground out as best she can and wraps herself in her thin cloak.

It is hard for her to fall asleep in the silence of the cavern but eventually slumber comes.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 07:55:58 PM by Omen of Peace » Logged

Silanah heard their songs and prayers. And she watched. Sometimes mortals did indeed forget. Sometimes, mortals needed… reminding…
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson
fil kearney
Moderator
Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
*
Posts: 210


filkearney@hotmail.com filkearney007 killfear007
WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 03:11:04 PM »

Owain finds himself alone very quickly-- the rest falling asleep despite the rubble and broken floor making for poor beds.

Peering easily through the utter darkness, the light sounds of slow breathing echo quietly through his head and chamber.

Something moves though.  Out of the corner of his eye. 
Something else shifts... hard to tell though.
No reason to wake anyone.. the shadows could simply be reacting in the beyond to their presence-- sentience often distorts untouched wilderness in the spirit world.  The mere presence of consciousness causes the the beyond to evolve at their behest.

The rubble nearby begins distorting; the broken machinery meant to end lives also blurbles, spewing forth distortion.

Switching vision between the realm of mortals and the dead, only the ether is changing... Owain doesn't have to think long at all as to what could cause such odd activity; the gears of torture fill the room.  The dead were likely victims, and possibly tormentors as well.  What caused the wreckage is impossible to say, but the spirits are definitly restless--

The air grows colder, and the depleted companions begin shivvering in their sleep-- Owain watches as the blanketing shadows coalesce into phantom beings in the realm of the dead-- swarming about the group, prodding at the sleeping companions from their ether curtain at every angle, attempting to touch, carress, grip and claw the living beings--

Owain jumps to his feet, and the creatures flinch at the sudden motion-- their featureless faces distorting with silent screams.... 

OOC:
80 minutes into rest period:

Will saves for all sleeping.  You will not automatically awaken.
These spectres are in the spirit world only... not interacting with the physical world at all, other than disturbing the sleepers and chilling the air at this time.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 03:16:48 PM by fil kearney » Logged

Omen of Peace
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1053


Wise Madman


« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 07:55:25 PM »

Elia wanders a featureless road, stopping often to pick up a book that keeps falling from her bag.

And then Mordain is in front of her, his head turned to the side at an odd angle but looking at her.
"If you had been there, things would have been different, you know. My death, you know. The dispersing of years of work, you know." And he goes on and on. Back in the cavern, Elia's body trembles a bit.

But her voice comes from the landscape itself when she replies : "Away, old man. You're there, somewhere. I know that. You're fine. We'll meet again, you, me and Sherman too." And a wind carrying brown leaves dissolves her father's shape. She finds the book in her hand, open. Though she can't read the spidery writing she finds it oddly comforting...

Will 32 (natural 20)

I amended the "dreamless sleep" from the previous post.
Logged

Silanah heard their songs and prayers. And she watched. Sometimes mortals did indeed forget. Sometimes, mortals needed… reminding…
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson
amalcon
Ring-Tailed Lemur
**
Posts: 30


« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 12:40:34 AM »

Despite sleeping as the dead, Talman's nose begins to twitch slightly.  At the same time, he begins humming something similar (but still distinctly different) to the tune...  A few moments later, he awakens with a shiver and a start, subconsciously continuing to hum until he begins speaking a little too fast.

What the hell's going on?

At which point he appears to notice the phantoms.  Leaping to his feet, his adrenaline surges with his anger:  he's clearly unhappy with being woken from this particular dream.  Still somewhat disoriented, and so distracted, he nearly forgets to enter a proper combat stance.
Will save to wake up (1d20 14=30)
Actions include standing up at such time as he is able.
Logged
DaveTheMagicWeasel
Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
***
Posts: 188


If you optimize it, they will come


Email
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 09:13:55 PM »

Frozen by the strange sights in front of him, Owain was finally jolted into action by the sight of one apparition reaching out towards his comrades, his cry echoing through the chamber,

"Awaken!  To arms!"
Logged

AlisAtAn
That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
****
Posts: 240


sveinung.wassvik@gmail.com
Email
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2008, 06:56:05 AM »

OOC
Will save to wake up for Meriabo (1d20 22=24)
Will save to wake up for Sherman (1d20 6=12)
Right. Well, I`ll go out on a limb and assume Meriabo made the save and Sherman didnt.
Initiative for Meriabo (1d20=15)

Awakened by the yells of Talman and Owain, Meriabo`s eyes spring open. Seeing the ghosts clawing at his companions from the other side, he quickly casts Protection from Evil on his most precious of companions, the weakminded Sherman. With that out of the way, he grabs one the the many holy symbols hanging from his neck and Turns Undead.

Mechanics
Cunning surge gives Meriabo a standard action on His turn which he uses to Turn Undead. He turns as a cleric of 9th level.
Turn check (1d20=16) (Ooops, forgot to add -1 cha, so thats 15, not 16.) So, I can turn lvl10 undead then.
Turn undead damage check. (2d6 8=10) Err... That sucks.
Logged

Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."


DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental
fil kearney
Moderator
Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
*
Posts: 210


filkearney@hotmail.com filkearney007 killfear007
WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2008, 06:33:29 PM »

Owain's alert awakens everyone immediately-- the phantom creatures circle around the team menacingly in the spirit world-- Sherman begins to panick, unable to see the attakcers, but feeling their influence as he tries to shake the sleep from his vision.

Meriabo brandishes his symbol, attempting to disperse the closing spirits, but his divine technique doesn't extend into the beyond where the creatures dwell.

The things continue to circle, seeming to be waiting for an opportunity to attack...

OOC Technical
Round 1 begins
Map Update
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 06:39:53 PM by fil kearney » Logged

DaveTheMagicWeasel
Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
***
Posts: 188


If you optimize it, they will come


Email
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2008, 06:56:09 PM »

Owain's blades appeared in his hands, the firelight a pale reflection on their blades, although in the spirit world the glare was much clearer.

He stepped backwards slowly, forming a defensive circle with his comrades,

"We have no desire to disturb the slumber of the dead spirits.  We have no quarrel with you, I bid you leave us in peace."[/color]

He didn't expect his request to be honoured, so dropped into a fighting crouch as he awaited their response.

Mechanics:[/u]
Move action: draw weapons, adjust position to stand shoulder to shoulder with party.
Standard action: manifest Force Screen (5 pp): +5 shield bonus which applies against incorporeal touch.
Swift action: adopt Assassin's Stance.
Free action: designate nearest apparition as Dodge target.
Logged

Omen of Peace
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1053


Wise Madman


« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2008, 07:21:48 PM »

At Owain's call Elia bounds to her feet, her flimsy blanket falling to the ground. Her dagger has already materialized in her hand and she blinks rapidly as she drives her sleepiness away and takes in her surroundings. What... ?

Holding her dagger out in a warding stance, she tries to communicate with the spirits : "Why have you come to us ?"

If they do not reply, she executes her Shadow Dance, whirling round herself to enter the spirit world, then repeats her question.

If they prove hostile or refuse to answer her she then tries to repel them.

Free: Tumble to a standing position (DC 35 - auto-success)
Free: draw dagger
Swift: enter Assassin's Stance
Free: speak

If they don't reply - Move: Ethereal Watcher
Free: speak

If they're hostile - Standard: Turn Undead
Turning check 31; Turning damage 32
(turns undead up to level 19 ; 32 HDs of them)
Logged

Silanah heard their songs and prayers. And she watched. Sometimes mortals did indeed forget. Sometimes, mortals needed… reminding…
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson
amalcon
Ring-Tailed Lemur
**
Posts: 30


« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 09:00:41 AM »

Talman is distinctly upset, and eager to begin disposing of these foes, but he observes his comrades attempting communication.  He barely manages to hold back a frenzy, and chants a quick ward against negative energy.  He remains coldly silent apart from the spell.

OOC:
Actions:
Move: Stand (from last post)
Standard: Cast Death Ward on self
Swift: My previous essentia assignment was illegal, so I move 1 point from Blink Shirt to Dragon Mantle to correct this.
Logged
fil kearney
Moderator
Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
*
Posts: 210


filkearney@hotmail.com filkearney007 killfear007
WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 09:29:41 PM »

The creatures do not respond.. either they lack the ability to communicate at all, or lack the concern to do so... they continue to circle the team silently beyond the curtain of life.
As the heroes begin squeezing closer together, Sherman becomes very uncomfortable. With Meriabo not in the saddle, he lacks the comfort of being directed.  The dreams he had spooked him more than he would care to admit, and the behavior of his riding companion and friends is not helping at all.
"Do NOT want!"
He announces noisily as he paws at Meriabo-- the insecurities the creature has when faced with the unknown is incredibly bothersome.. he cannot see the beyond.  If he could, he'd be even more skittish.

The silent forms seem to home in on the dinosaur's fear.. they circle closely, beginnning to dare reaching out towards the team.

Owain ducks the first prodding wisp of fingers
Elia smoothly sidesteps the second... the mass of figures growing incredily tight around them... Meriabo's talisman seems worthless-- Elia's diplomacy irrelevant.

With a flourish, Elia crosses the barrier and unleashes the power of her pact, her holy symbol destroys a cluster of the shadowy forms before she is pulled back to the physical world,

MAP update
OOC Tech
Turning attempts fail.. ou'll have to be on the same plane of existence to function
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 08:53:57 AM by fil kearney » Logged

AlisAtAn
That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
****
Posts: 240


sveinung.wassvik@gmail.com
Email
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2008, 06:37:49 AM »


Sherman, come here. It`s okay, see? Just some bad people who met bad endings. They cant harm you, only scare. Right, Elia?

Handle animal check to calm down Sherman. (1d20 16=22)

OOC: I spent a Divine Insight on this check.
Logged

Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."


DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental
Omen of Peace
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1053


Wise Madman


« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2008, 11:06:59 AM »

The flash of light is barely gone that Elia finds herself back in the Material, her Shadow Dance having exhausted its power.
"Sure, sure." She is only half-listening, concentrated that she is on keeping track of the wraiths.
"May I suggest we withdraw to the tunnel and see if they follow ? I don't know if they can hurt us, but I'd rather we didn't find out.
It will give me time to gather some energy again, as well.
"

She will tumble back to the tunnel if people agree. For now it's just free-action speaking.
Logged

Silanah heard their songs and prayers. And she watched. Sometimes mortals did indeed forget. Sometimes, mortals needed… reminding…
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson
AlisAtAn
That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
****
Posts: 240


sveinung.wassvik@gmail.com
Email
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2008, 02:03:07 PM »

Sounds like a plan. Come on, Sher... Just as Meriabo is finishing his sentence, Sherman grabs him by the belt and runs madly out of the room, saddle between his teeth. Meriabo just has time to pick up his haversack in time. He runs 60ft into the tunnel before stopping and looking around for the rest of the team... Whevs the othervs? Ovv. Theyv didnt ruvn yevt, huh?
Logged

Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."


DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental
amalcon
Ring-Tailed Lemur
**
Posts: 30


« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2008, 10:01:48 AM »

These things can go through walls; do we really want to go somewhere with more walls? Talman manages to blurt out.
Actions are in the other post.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:59:19 PM by amalcon » Logged
Omen of Peace
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1053


Wise Madman


« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2008, 01:19:32 PM »

"I'm just hoping they're tethered to this place in particular. If you have a better idea, now would be a good time to mention it. Now let us come together just for a bit..."

She starts to half-fly half-roll towards the exit of the cavern. Since her foes are not quite there it feels very much like she's sparring with thin air - like she used to do when first training with Veridias. As she passes Talman and Owain by, she calls to the power of the Dancer - Paimon - within her and grey sparks surround their bodies. Her companions know it will provide them with a temporary protection.

Tumbling towards the exit. She uses Vestige's Protection Aura (KotSS ability, swift action) on all three of them so they get +10 insight bonus to AC and Reflex for 1 round.
Logged

Silanah heard their songs and prayers. And she watched. Sometimes mortals did indeed forget. Sometimes, mortals needed… reminding…
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2008, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!