http://brilliantgameologists.com
August 22, 2014, 01:39:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Sode #23: The 7 Things we hate about the Game-o-sphere (Meta 06)  (Read 23340 times)
JamieChambers
Monkey bussiness

Email
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2008, 03:02:58 PM »

#4 thing we hate: World of Darkness

New Coke or Classic? Or just -- in general? Your list is fascinating, so I'm waiting eagerly for the episode.  Big Grin

** Jamie
Meg
Message Board Extraordinaire
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 01:56:12 PM »

#5 thing we hate (nearing the finish line!)- Reviews of Games

All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!
Meg
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 12:10:27 AM »

The episode is up!  http://brilliantgameologists.com/blog/52

#6 thing we hate about the gameosphere- Fear the Boot (shock!  gasp!)

#7 you have to listen for yourself!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 12:12:28 AM by Meg » Logged

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!
Highmoon
Ring-Tailed Lemur

The Gamer Traveler

WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 12:26:14 AM »

Boy, you guys just like to drip into, jump headfirst and wallow in the icky.

Meg
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 12:30:59 AM »

Yep.  That's us!

Though just for full disclosure, we of course try to make the promo stuff for the episode worse than it actually is.

Judd
Monkey bussiness

Email
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 02:02:44 AM »

Will the next episode be 7 things we love?

Delicious Man-Meat
Josh
Brilliant Gameologist
Grape ape

Email
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 02:13:03 AM »

Interesting.  Explain this thing you call love.

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009
ephealy
Noob

Don't hate me because I'm brilliant.

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 02:21:26 AM »

Meg / Josh, the dating show thing was funny.

And it's true - I haven't been on a date in a looooong time. The price of a decade of marriage - half of which was spent in Iraq.

Very cool, ladies.

RE Hating... I'm listening to the hatery right now. I'm giggling. You guys rock.

jcm
Domesticated Capuchin Monkey

I am information man

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2008, 06:03:06 AM »

#6 thing we hate about the gameosphere- Fear the Boot (shock!  gasp!)

I know you warmed up by punching a baby panda, but I think that was a fairer blow than this one. 16 stinkers in a row, everybody already knows those guys are dead.
AfterCrescent
Honorary Moderator
Organ Grinder

Here After

AfterCrescent
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2008, 06:05:29 AM »

I enjoyed this one (although I'm still listening in @ # 5).

However, just to let you know, Zeke was wrong and Josh was right.
Thumper: He doesn't walk very good, does he?
Mrs. Rabbit: Thumper!
Thumper: Yes, mama?
Mrs. Rabbit: What did your father tell you this morning?
Thumper: [clears throat] If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all.

Edit: I do feel a little cheated that this episode was "work safe." But I'm one of those people who believes that words are just words, so cursing is perfectly normal and should not be considered 'not work safe'
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 06:25:36 AM by AfterCrescent » Logged

The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie
bhu
Organ Grinder

Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2008, 07:56:19 AM »

This was the first podcast I listened to (what?? I have two full time jobs!), and it made me giggle, so I'm happy.  Granted I'd be happy regardless since I'm on a ton of painkillers after cracking a rib.  I learned several things:

1: Meg has a cat  Big Grin  This is a good thing.  One of the fellow casters whose name escapes me because he didn't sound nearly as hot as Meg tries to sell said cat.

We are coming for you in the night, kind sir.  Someday.  When the skies have darkened, and the trees, barren of their leaves, seem to stare into the pitiless depths of your soul.  Oh yes...

2: I understand your hatred of reviews since reviewing films is one of the aforementioned jobs, and sometimes I get to review the sorts of films I'd never ever watch and have no frame of reference for,  (Like films about homosexual Yeti rapists.  Seriously, google Yeti: A Love Story) and must assign a number to (although our numbering system has an explanation instead of being vague).

3: You guys synch up eerily in certain moments with whatever trash film I was watching at the time (the sound was off because the dialogue was so bad it made my ears bleed) for review purposes.  It almost made the flesh eating naked zombie women palatable when they had Megs voice.  Everyone elses voice lent them a sort of eerie quality, but it still wasn't as messed up as the original soundtrack.

4: I'm glad someone besides me thinks WoD sucks, even if I did get to meet a lot of hot goth women after being shanghai'd into playing it.

5: I have forgotten this point entirely, quite possibly because its almost 8 am and I've been up all night, or possibly the medication.  I think it was something pithy about being attacked by squirrels...

Um..anyway, nice job.  Kitteh likee, and will be listening again.

Meg
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2008, 08:48:10 AM »

We should!  But it won't be for a while--

We've already picked our follow up to the Dating Show- and it will take a while so we'll just have to join a contest with a bunch of other gaming podcasts so I can put that one together, but that should be the topic of the next promotional 'sode. 

Meg
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2008, 08:49:10 AM »

bhu- did you see you got a mention in our shownotes?

The87
Ring-Tailed Lemur

trapdom87
WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2008, 03:57:06 PM »

Hello people

Found your podcast [somewhat] recently and look forward to the episodes each week.

After hearing episode 23 (where was 22? I missed something...)  I decided I should make a forums account. The reason for this was the invitation Meg offered to argue with any anti-Fear-the-Boot remarks made on the show.

I found fear the boot through a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-host and essentially have listened to all their episodes. However, I am hardly Mr. Fear-The-Boot-Man.

First, I'd like to applaud the public and blatant hatefist you brought down on FtB. I agree that they probably get a little/lot more credit than they deserve. Secondly, Dan seems to have a history of losing hosts, which leads me to believe that FtB is not really a gathering of friends but more like a business, except no one gets paid. That particular point I find deceitful because they very much put on the facade of friendship when on-mic. But these things aren't really what I came here to talk about...

What I would like to say, in their defense, comes from personal experience. I didn't know that podcasts even existed on the subject of RPGs, much less how interesting they would be. My first exposure, as I said before, was to FtB. It is my belief that had I been exposed through some other podcast (i.e. Podgecast, BG, Bearswarm, Atomic Array, etc., All of which I now subscribe to) I may not have become nearly such an avid listener of RPG podcasts in general. The reason for this, I believe, is two-fold. First, FtB has a catalog of well over 100 episodes, so it took me several weeks to run that well dry as I compulsively started at 1 and trudged through to the present. That many back-to-back episodes provided enough exposure to really hook me as a listener. Second, FtB has a structured, professional feel. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather listen to the friend-feel full of cursing and vulgarity NOW. However, FtB's commitment to no cursing combined with a fairly structured host hierarchy and well-edited sound quality made it an easy listen while trying to get my bearings in terms of what the podcast stuff is all about.

If you zoned out somewhere among the previous paragraph, which I most assuredly would have if I had been reading it, the basic summary is that FtB is good for podcast-listening newbies.

That said, FtB is no where near the end-all of gaming podcasts. I very much agree that they entered the podcasting thing at a convenient time and the consistency of episodes (likely a bi-product of Dan's implied iron-fist) made them the juggernaut that they are today. As BG#23 said, their big downfall, in my opinion, is their advice, more specifically, the passive-aggressive nature of their advice. The constant stream of "There is no such thing as bad gaming" interspersed between rapid-fire put downs of the "Roll-players" vs. the "Role-players" makes me what to pound vibrant and lively school children with very blunt objects. I'd like to take this opprotunity to say that I laughed for quite some time when the juxtaposition was made of Dan's role-playing idealism with his favorite game being battletech. Good point. Keep 'em coming. Moreover, I'd like to point out that Chad, probably the second-most stable FtB host, doesn't even like to play with rules or dice, yet has no problem critiquing the rules and dice of game systems. While that does bring a certain amount of consistency to his position, it seems like he is in the wrong hobby. Furthermore, the typical FtB hosts has routinely expressed how they cling to their old systems produced by TSR and FASA (companies long gone, for those of you who may not know) yet promote a show where the advice topics are supposedly geared toward the hobbyists of today. How can one complain about the status of the industry when one is clearly so out of touch with that status?

Again, if you zoned out reading the previous paragraph, heres a summary: FtB is too far up its own ass.

So, again:
1) Fear the Boot is a good podcast for newbie-podcast listeners
2) Fear the Boot is too far up its own ass
2.a) Did anyone listen to the 7 part ep.115 FtB released? Are you fucking kidding me?

Anyhow, as this is my first post on the BG boards, I'd like to state for the record that your podcast is a fun listen and often more informative than some other casts that make promises of such information. Keep up the good work.

P.S. - the rating system - 1book/3books/10books/0books is gold. Copy write that shit.

adam
Ring-Tailed Lemur

Tech support

Email
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2008, 04:46:02 PM »

Wow, you guys didn't pull any punches.

Clap
Irthos Levethix
Donkey Kong

We're all a little mad here

Email
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 04:49:50 PM »

Sorry about the structure of this post in advance, I was writing as I listened, so...
First thought-
Prince Alberts?  Wow, this show has gone to new lengths (ha HA~)

This was priceless-
"And actually, we do allow douchebags."
"Several of them"

Though I totally agree about Vampire (though I read/played briefly the Masquerade, not WoD), as far as the writing being emo cutter bullshit... thats the people that play it, so I guess they're doing something right.  Right?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 05:35:59 PM by Irthos Levethix » Logged

Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!
TimWhite
Monkey bussiness

Email
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 05:49:36 PM »

#6 thing we hate about the gameosphere - Fear the Boot (shock!  gasp!)

I'd just like to remind everyone that BG co-won the FtB parody contest with me. Wink

That said, I'd say that if they'd had balls, they would've handed it to you, and just played them both.  If nothing else because you had multiple voices, and did a much better Adam.

I will say this:

1) Very few podcasts have listenable content that comes out every week.  In the world of podcasting, consistency often wins out over quality in terms of popularity.  23 vs. 115.

2) Very few gaming podcasts have even reasonable audio quality.  From my own experience, people drop podcasts quicker for audio quality than any other reason.

3) I find it delicious that the hate you spray toward FtB has to do more with the fact that certain people on that show regularly talk about things they hate.  Since hate is by definition an opinion, your hate vs. their hate is just hilarity defined, IMO. Smile

4) Is there a level of over-pomposity to Fear the Boot that tends to overshadow things without the comic-relief hosts?  Given that I coined the term "Danecture" on the FtB forums, I'd say I understand what you are saying.

5) FtB regularly owns up to their own ignorance and lack of breadth, albeit in jest, so anyone that listens regularly can fully understand the perspective from which their advice is given.

6) Has the revolving door of hosts created enough drama on the show that it makes it more than a little uncomfortable at times?  My wife stopped listening because of it, so I'd say yes.

7) Very few gaming podcasts seem willing to even remotely censor themselves, and as a result, that turns away a significant percentage of listeners from those pumpkiny shows.

8) In the same way that Josh's overly-generalized Rush Limbaugh-style pronouncements generate discussion, FtB's admitted ignorance, lack of breadth, and sometimes dubious advice do the same, for people willing to participate in the Forums, and eventually lead to better balanced view of the topic.

Cheers haters,

Tim

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 06:02:41 PM by TimWhite » Logged

Check out the Return to Northmoor podcast on SpookyOuthouse.com!
adam
Ring-Tailed Lemur

Tech support

Email
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008, 05:54:43 PM »

#6 thing we hate about the gameosphere - Fear the Boot (shock!  gasp!)
and did a much better Adam.

I think it always comes back to that guy, whom I've heard from multiple, is a huge dick-face.  But hey, what do I know.
Meg
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2008, 06:01:49 PM »

I'd just like to remind everyone that BG co-won the parody contest with me. Wink

Yes,yes, it was a co-win.  But doesn't mean we didn't still win- just that there was another winner.

BTW-did you ever get a prize?  

1) Very few podcasts have listenable content that comes out every week.  In the world of podcasting, consistency often wins out over quality in terms of popularity.
2) Very few gaming podcasts have even reasonable audio quality.  From my own experience, people drop podcasts quicker for audio quality than any other reason.

Totally agree.  That's why we attribute its success to both of those things- it was regular and had good quality.  And wasn't boring.  And right time, right place.  

3) I find it delicious that the hate you spray toward FtB has to do more with the fact that certain people on that show regularly talk about things they hate.  Since hate is by definition an opinion, your hate vs. their hate is just hilarity defined, IMO. Smile

Haha!  Good point.  And while my first gut reaction is to disagree, I won't.  We weren't doing reviews of any of the things we hate in this- if we had been (and will soon enough) I would be all over that because our reviews aren't based on opinion.  Of course there is opinion in them, but we look at it critically first.  

I just get pissed when folks make harsh statements clearly based on ignorance.  

In the Podgecast's most recent episode I talk about people confusing min/maxer, munchkin, and powergamer at conventions and in the webasphere.  And FtB is one of the biggest culprits of this.

Hell, our 7 Words You Don't Say While Gaming was pretty much a direct response to their Episode 98 or 99 (can't remember now- the one talking about robots).  

I just get a strong sense most of them (Dan included) have gamed very little in different systems.  Which isn't a terrible thing, but don't go handing out advice on it or say your way is best if you haven't checked out other ways.

I abstain from much talk about World of Darkness because I've never played it.  And even though Zeke and Josh spew their hatred, I won't have a full opinion until I play it.  I don't think they'd give it the same credibility.  

And I also just want to point out-- we've listened to a LOT of FtB.  To put in the time to do a spoof shows our time commitment.  Just because we hate it doesn't still have fun listening.  Or rather, did have fun listening- I gave up on it when Luke left. 

But meanwhile, I've got a hate-flag I've got to let fly.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 06:31:32 PM by Meg » Logged

Meg
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 06:04:58 PM »

Prince Alberts?  Wow, this show has gone to new lengths (ha HA~)

HaHA!  And this was our "work safe" episode!  We went through about 3 jokes before Zeke and I settled on that one- something that no one in an office would catch but the person listening may get a chuckle out of.

That and I really do like Prince Alberts  Flirt

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
  Print  

Jump to: