http://brilliantgameologists.com
December 20, 2014, 08:49:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Out of Character -- Random Banter  (Read 9542 times)
fil kearney
Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar

filkearney@hotmail.com filkearney007 killfear007
WWW Email
« on: September 13, 2008, 01:00:21 AM »

ANYONE is welcome to just shoot the shit here.
non technical questions, announcements, and general musings

fil kearney

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 10:40:23 AM »

Alisatan, Amalcon, Avalon, katans, Omen of Peace

all right you apes!

This probably would have been a good screening question, but here we are anyway!

I want to know from each of you what your peferred game is like!
SO tell me... what three movies best describe the type of story your character is in? (this will give me a good idea of what kind of flavor you prefer)

For example:
godfather
goodfellas
the sopranos
very serious, dark elements, violent and people can lose.

or
fifth element
oceans 11/13 (but not 12... ech)
charlies angels 1 & 2
tongue in cheek, witty dialog, cool and controlled heroes that win the day

or
snatch
lock stock and two smoking barrels
lucky number s7even
double crosses, things always go wrong,  antiheroes

or
excel saga
tenchi muyo oav
ranma 1/2
(for those anime nuts in here, physical comedy, inter-party harassment, exaggerated caricature)

ya see?  very different feels.  I'm not going to bias you guys with my choices.  You can spoiler text (to shield your answer until others respond) or PM if you would like your answers to be unshared period.

Man, I'm gonna use this question when qualifying folks from now on!  HOPEFULLY we have a mix of folks here that have genres that will mesh well. We all may need to compromise a bit (especially me!)
I'll give my answers and we'll talk about it as a group once everyone has posted their reply. 

THIS IS MANDATORY. ahem.  I just think it's important.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 03:46:29 PM by fil kearney » Logged

Omen of Peace
Hong Kong

Wise Madman

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 12:06:35 PM »

Very good question ! I also feel it's better if people give their own answer before seeing the others', so I'll spoiler my thoughts on this topic.
No peeking !
I feel 4) won't work for me. It could be fun for a few posts but then it would just be too random. I am however willing to try it if others want to - maybe I can learn something from there.

In general, I like intrigue a lot. But it doesn't mean it's the only thing I like to play and Elia is not that well suited to it in the first place. I mention it because it will still color my preferences.

Combat-wise, I see her tricks as slightly over-the-top. Think wushu - after all she's using the supernatural schools of Tome of Battle (Desert Wind, Shadow Hand) quite a bit, as well as Setting Sun. She actually would fit fairly well in Avatar: the Last Airbender's world : she's a human-jackal-eagle (in a world of lion-turtles and cow-bears and...) and her Desert Wind/Desert Storm abilities I actually liken to some firebending tricks.

But your question was more about out-of-combat if I understand correctly. Here I actually all of 1, 2 and 3 would work pretty well for Elia. It gave me an idea: why not try different styles for different parts of the adventures ?
A "noir" sequence in Sharn, a witty sequence in the Mournland (to turn it upside-down), etc...

That's a partial cop-out but I really have trouble ranking those options.
- 1) would be interesting in terms of Elia's psychology. In some ways she has lived a sheltered life, in others it was a brutal one. Her notions of morality are very odd (I said elsewhere she was an assassin for a time and didn't see anything wrong with it until her master hammered it in her).

- cool and controlled she can do - I see her as cautious but at the same time she tends to think she's invincible. Witty I'm not sure but she could be a side-kick (the wit being at her expense sometimes).

- can do too. Double-crossing her will take Bards or Beguilers with Glibness give her Sense Motive. She is also somethin of an anti-hero from the start (a monster, weird childhood, etc...)

edit: at fil's demand, I'm clarifying: I think I tend to gravitate towards 3. Double crosses (or suspicion of such - I mentioned I like intrigue ; I'm paranoid so my characters tend to be the same but I intend Elia to be different) and anti-heroes (I'm not a big fan of the knight in the shining armor - one reason I like Eberron is that it's all in shades of grey). The "everything goes wrong" part depends on the DM. Wink

So my usual style would be: Usual Suspects, Cruel Intentions. More rarely it'd be Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (very pulp movie, with slightly over-the-top heroism and light moments interspersed)

For this campaign: Avatar (for the fights, the spiritual progression, the exploration)... Ok, I'm still trying to avoid to choose. I'll go with Godfather : The World Is A Tough Place, People Are Out To Get Us, etc... (capitalized to make them "Aspects")
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 04:05:24 PM by Omen of Peace » Logged

Silanah heard their songs and prayers. And she watched. Sometimes mortals did indeed forget. Sometimes, mortals needed… reminding…
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson
amalcon
Ring-Tailed Lemur

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 09:49:37 AM »

Yeah, that is a good question.
I would tend to lean a bit toward your third group, because I usually like intrigue and setbacks in games.  If everything's going right, we haven't been ambitious enough Smile

It can also be good to have characters who are a bit heroic, and I definitely like to have goals in mind from the beginning.  A bit of humor also never hurts.  I can do "dangerous"/Godfather-y stuff, but I prefer to stay away from the completely ridiculous (and if it begins looking like Tenchi Muyo it could become a problem).

If I had to pick one movie... hmm... I'd probably say The Italian Job:  Underground stuff like the third group, certainly not black-and-white, and not everything goes as planned.  On the other hand, the characters are heroic, and it's pretty clear that if you upset the wrong people, you're in trouble.  I'm pretty flexible, though.

Two more, you say?  Well, I probably ought to include Serenity (Firefly itself fits better, but it's not a movie), for similar reasons to above.  We don't necessarily need to topple governments, but the general atmosphere would probably fit well.  I think it also does a pretty good job of covering the darker elements, without going too far that way.  It's a bit over the top in places, but it's tricky to pin things down exactly.

I'm not much of a movie buff, so the last one's a little tricky.  I'll say Snatch for now, though I think it's a little redundant at this point and I'm not sure it's the best possible.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 09:40:39 AM by amalcon » Logged
Avalon®
Ring-Tailed Lemur

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 11:01:28 AM »

I don't know where Maraxus will fit.

As I see him, his trying to find himself. Specifically his past since it's all been jumbled up since the Mourning.
fil kearney

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 12:54:56 PM »

Yeah, that is a good question.

THank you! 

I'm still looking for 2 from you, BTW  Smirk
and three from everyone else. Big Grin (except for omen.. thanks for the edit)

I don't know where Maraxus will fit.

As I see him, his trying to find himself. Specifically his past since it's all been jumbled up since the Mourning.

Well, it's been 10 years after the mourning now (pushed timeframe up from campaign default)
SO if you haven't been able to figure out your past after 10 years what kind of an effect do you think that would have on your disposition? 
That's plenty of time for you to hooked up with the crew, and started a new life.
we can start integrating annoying little glimpses into your psat via odd comments, dreams, and deja vus.  easy enough.

changeling rogue
sphynx outcast
amnesiac dragonborn.

so far a pretty "classic" adventuring group. 

keep working on a mutual history in the wiki.

DO you all have any particular things you want to see happen over the course of the next 6-20 levels?

fil kearney

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 08:36:55 AM »

alright.  Katans has dropped.  he left a comment on the wiki, but i ated it.

he's out for the next two months, and I recommend he insert himeslf into the open invitation for the future.

so we are 4 at the moment.. well see if now s too fast for dave, or if another il come in.

meanwhile, we need to get cracking on characer build and integration.  post like you HAVE TO!!!

amalcon
Ring-Tailed Lemur

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 09:41:05 AM »

Edited my last post with 2 more picks.
Omen of Peace
Hong Kong

Wise Madman

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 09:59:14 AM »

Another question: if your character was in Firefly, who would it be ?

My take for Elia would be Kaylee. Except that she isn't quite defenseless so there's definitely a Zoe in her.

Silanah heard their songs and prayers. And she watched. Sometimes mortals did indeed forget. Sometimes, mortals needed… reminding…
fil kearney

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 12:29:32 PM »

Quote from: Omen
My take for Elia would be Kaylee. Except that she isn't quite defenseless so there's definitely a Zoe in her.

Woah... a Kaylee who doesn't know killing is wrong is just... disturbing.

Omen of Peace
Hong Kong

Wise Madman

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 12:34:45 PM »

Argh, I guess I don't think enough. When you put it like that it seems that River would be a better fit (the acrobatic combat style fits well - the psionics less).

Okay, I'm just bad at categorizing. She's a mix of the three. At least I can say she's not an Inara.

AlisAtAn
That monkey with the orange ass cheeks

sveinung.wassvik@gmail.com
Email
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 02:12:08 PM »

Well, I like The Crow. (And no, there is only one Crow movie. I dont care how many crappy sequels they make. Brandon is still turning in his grave from the second sequel)

Lord of The Rings is a goody to. Especially good parts are Boromir dieing, Gandalf evacuating Pippin (And Munti yelling at him beforehand), drama before the reforging of the sword, and the last march of the Ents.

For the last one, I always loved Godfather for the professional bravery shown by the Corleone family members.

Thats kind of a mix. But option 4 on your list wont work for me at all. Things like Bleach always annoyed me for the chars simple minds.

Acrobatics and things like jumping onto tables during a duel are always nice. One of the strenghts of PbP over normal play is that you can go more in depth.

Also I really, really hate stupid things happening for "RP reasons". If you play the stupid blond of the team, my char WILL leave you to die. Every. Last. Chance. He. Gets. If you are a stupid blond real life, and just cant help it, same thing. Only I hate you as much as my char hates your char. Kind of ruins the game. Dont be a stupid blond.

Other than that I love witty and ironic banter and situations. As long as the game doesnt turn completely random from people trying to hard to be funny. I may sound control freakish, but I`m not. Really. Just played with a lot of dumb people. 

Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental
fil kearney

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 02:19:42 PM »

Quote from: Al
As long as the game doesnt turn completely random from people trying to hard to be funny.

Yeah.  Most of those are not my genre.  they are examples, not options.  just trying to get the ball rolling, not give a multiple choice list.  Tongue

One of the strenghts of PbP over normal play is that you can go more in depth.
yeah.  I really like the narrative process, but it is so difficult to convey at table top.  My TT games are way more tactical combat.  Here we can really get all inner dialogue and environmental description... make it breathe a lot more than "just a game".  I love that part-- but if you've touched my DDOG game, you know how I roll already. Big Grin

Omen of Peace
Hong Kong

Wise Madman

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 11:13:54 AM »

I'm looking for pictures for Elia. I know it's likely to be an impossible task but I can try. I haven't decided exactly what she looks like so at least I can be a bit tolerant : given her origin, she may not have a marru's brown fur for instance.
The other good thind is that maybe Fil will see her as something other than a Sphinx too. Wink
(She has hands ! She is generally standing !)

Thanks to the furry fandom Google is giving me some hits. Pictures inside - not necessarily gender-accurate:

« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:33:31 AM by Omen of Peace » Logged

AlisAtAn

Email
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 11:27:52 AM »

Take the metal one at the bottom and go with adamantium skin from Faiths of Eberron.  Big Grin

Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental
fil kearney

WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 12:20:47 PM »

I think "thaloc" looks very cool.. a lot of those links are dead for me, though.

And it's not me... it's the general population of eberron!  I know what you look like!  I'M properly educated about this stuff. 
I was thinking the fur would be interwoven with feathers too.

This character honestly fits in fine with a dragonborn and MoMF troll.  Perfect models of Droaam Citizenry... it's the changeling and hooman that stick out like sore thumbs.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 12:22:45 PM by fil kearney » Logged

AlisAtAn

Email
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 12:48:55 PM »

Hmmm. If we start somewhere where halflings dare not thread, I might disguise myself as something else instead.

Omen of Peace
Hong Kong

Wise Madman

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 12:59:21 PM »

Don't worry: we'll say "It's cool, he's with us".

Seriously now: you can be a halfling in Droaam. You will stand out but that's it.
Oh, in case you don't know: halflings in Eberron are known for two main things.
- The two halfling Dragonmarked Houses' (Jorasco and Gallanda) business revolves around healing and "accomodations" (hostels, taverns) respectively. These are "civilized".
- The Talenta Plains is a nation of nomad halflings who ride dinosaurs. How awesome is that ? Get yourself one as a companion.

fil kearney

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 03:33:43 PM »

Humanoids will attract negative attention.. but if you are a halfling or a human walking around, the smart critters will realize you are dangerous... the dumber ones will prove it.

The more I look into Droaam, the more interesting it is for me... hostile feudal system, like Japan in the Ido period with a nasty backstabby twist. 
I ran an OA game like this where the ogre magi started challenging individual Daimyo, killing the poor human miserably, and taking over the province.  Soon it was the emporer attempting to keep the Magi out of court, and civil war erupted. 
The PC's left the region to go explore another region in the game world before it all melted down... they were like that.  go someplace, witness horrible events about to take place, and then leave before karma came with the bill.
They then landed themselves via shadowwalk in an area where volcanoes were erupting fire and magma elementals onto a magocracy.  they had just gotten the local heroes rounded up to start plugging the volcanos when they decided to leave again and head for a spot where illithid were dominating all the monsters into a single army to storm across the continent. 
AFter having their asses handed to them, the team left for bytopia for some rest and relaxation.  They never went back to check on the illithid, but instead poked around an ancient evil temple which was laden with shades and beholder-liches.  They gated a chunk of it to the plane of air where the local chapter of genie got involved in the romping. 
<end rambling>
Man, those guys had severe attention span issues. 
By the time they left the volcanos, we had finally cracked epic levels.  good times.

er..  :review ... oh yeah.  Droaam.
Best I see it, this has the same flavor as the OA game.  you are toughies rolling through a land of toughies.  Using F&K logic, you are going to draw the attention of the 3 sisters before too long, and any land you are occupying will have the local lord very uptight. 
With Mordain now aparently dead, and his facility wide open, you BET there is a scramble amongst the lords to commandeer that tastey nibblet.. but those that overinvest will find their homefront under attack from other types of opportunists!

Meanwhile that damnable song is leading you by the nose on a drunken bee-line to nowhere across neighboring borders. 
why are you there?
what will you do?
who sent you?
you have no clue, either.

Omen of Peace
Hong Kong

Wise Madman

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 04:50:19 PM »

Ah, so Mordain is presumed dead ? Recently or not ? I'd like to know what you're going for among all the ideas we've mentioned along the way because it will influence how Elia acts.

I think we'll be good at stealth so while powerful NPCs like the sisters can scry on us, the local lord may not notice we're around if we choose to lay low.

We still have stuff to clarify or expand on but... is it me or are we getting closer to being ready ?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
  Print  

Jump to: