http://brilliantgameologists.com
September 16, 2014, 07:25:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Invitation  (Read 3300 times)
Ieniemienie
Donkey Kong

Email
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 09:21:39 AM »

*Waves number* I am still interested, working on what exactly I'm trying to accomplish with ym build... Fire Mage is all Fire damage and Marshall all swift inspiration, so that might work out very well..

'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!
fil kearney
Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar

filkearney@hotmail.com filkearney007 killfear007
WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 03:10:50 PM »

right on imimiimimi.  hadnt heard from you inna while!

thanks for your patience.  we're hoping ho we have will settle into pla ce, but even if we do, I'm a chronic crowd pleaser, and may add seats later anyway.

Judging Eagle
Domesticated Capuchin Monkey

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 08:49:41 PM »

Hmm, this looks rather interesting.

I've got a hankering for playing (in any form) and a CO game in Eberron would be doubley interesting to me.

At one time in a tabletop game I was playing an exiled Cyran Archivist (university student lecturer turned adventurer) that was last investigating some structures in the grey wastes (my memories slipping, I'm not sure what the blighted lands of Former Cyre are properly called now).

He was a bit of a mixed bag; he interacted with paladins and druids, as well as the church of the Sovreign Host (...is it the Host or something else? It's been a few years now), but the only reasons they let him learn spells from them or train with them was that he had a full-on hate for the horrors that undeath could create.

Of course, his hate for undeath is easily miscontrstued as a hate for undead. He actually had no such thing and almost always tried to have undead that he faced see the error of their ways and try to help society (Kharnathi skeletons & Zombies, a Mummy Wizard) or be ressurected (an unwilling changed vampire). The only undead that he didn't parlay with, or try to find a way to peacefully redeem were those that were automatically aggressive (Wraiths, mindless and violent undead, a Drowned).

Of course, his humanism extended to the living very easily, and even when he finally stood alone against an enemy Changeling Cleric that had been harrassing and eluding the party for ... several adventures, only beat the changeling cleric (now turned vampire) up enough to restrain him and take him to be imprisoned.

That last part was very oddly cathartic. Everyone in our group wanted to kill the NPC in question, but when I had knocked him around a bit, I realized that killing him was really pointless and that my character would become just as bitter and spiteful as the NPC had been. I don't think that anyone in the group would have complained about my character "getting the kill", for the fact that he was dead would have been good enough for the group at that point.

When we handed him over to be imprisoned nearly forever, it was a lot more satisfying for the group than just gakking him would have been. We had beaten him, and hadn't needed to kill him.

Of course, our DM was spitting teeth the whole time. He had a problem with our characters not killing creatures or NPCs that we had beat, and he didn't like how we tended to ask for their surrender instead.

Something about him being a "roleplayer" and us being "min-maxers" or "not-roleplayers" meant that we should not talk to the NPCs that he wanted us to kill. I guess.

If not he wouldn't have made the hill giant that we had beaten and then spared (with the condition that he would now be part of our "clan"; since we didn't want him just wandering around and sinking other river boats) run away from cover and try to get pelted to death when a rain of metorites came down from the sky. Seriously, it was a very transparent attempt by the DM to kill the NPC.

Now, this character could probably fill a variety of roles; and he did over the course of the 7 levels that we played the game.

Rolf was:
-A knowledge check maker
-A Front-line combatant
-A Lighting bolt baker
-An invisible stealth savant

Also:
-A killer of skellies
-Saved a vampire
-Gave his friends prezzies
-When shark-eaten, his swinging arm wouldn't tire

-A summoner of beasts
-A rider of smoke
-A conjurerer of feasts
and a
-Not a bad bloke

I think that covers most of what Rolf did and was.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:20:30 PM by Judging Eagle » Logged

Name kept out of inertia. Thirteen years and counting.
fil kearney

WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 10:38:13 PM »

Hi JE! 

Thanks for the post!  You've certainly made yourself open to being integrated into a wide range of groups... which is good in PbP.. teams tend to shift around quite a bit over time. Smile

There is a bit of a pile here that are interested, but if anyone drops out, I'll certainly consider opening the seat. 
Be welcome to pop in the random banter thread and shot the breeze whenever you want.  If we know you, we'll likely give you the invite. 
(boy I can't stress this enough.  I'm not looking for you to waste time hanging around ecause it could e a year before the opportunity arises, but I can assure you if you are someone I know pretty well, I'll consider you over virtually anyone esle.  THat's called "networking" Big Grin )

Judging Eagle

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 09:06:46 AM »

No problem.

I've got a thing for playing characters that are capable of performing different tasks.

Of course, Rolf did this by having a lot of crafting feats and creating things like... "Boots of Anime Jumping" (Expeditious Retreat & Jump).

As well as having a scroll to remove or cure anything that lvl 4 and lower magic could fix. Plus several scrolls of spells that would be used, but that I didn't want to have using up a spell slot; things like Dispel Magic or Lighting Bolt or Call Lighting.

I'll start taking a look at the RP thread and absorb it in chunks to get a feel for the game play.

Straw_Man
Hong Kong

aesheen@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 04:07:59 PM »

Hi,

This looks fantastic and I've always had a yen for Eberron, but I've never tried gestalt or high level play. On the wiki I didn't see any desired optimisation level, but I'm guessing thats not what your aiming for by restricting spellcasting. As well I post on average 5 times a week as I don;t have a computer at home.

If these aren't major issues I'll probably post up a variant of JJ's Casio the Warforged Bard// Marshal/Crusader and wait for a slot to open up.

Cheers!

"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."
Omen of Peace
Hong Kong

Wise Madman

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 06:00:45 PM »

Welcome !
The desired optimization "interval" is set by this page: http://co-gestalt-eberron.pbwiki.com/Comparing+the+Builds
Being too high above or too low below is not desirable.

Silanah heard their songs and prayers. And she watched. Sometimes mortals did indeed forget. Sometimes, mortals needed… reminding…
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson
Straw_Man
Hong Kong

aesheen@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 06:17:08 PM »

Welcome !
The desired optimization "interval" is set by this page: http://co-gestalt-eberron.pbwiki.com/Comparing+the+Builds
Being too high above or too low below is not desirable.

Wow, thats pretty OP'ed. Okay, I'll try to brew something up that'll be an asset. As I can tell, there's a 2 gish types, a crusader bard, and a druid thats more awesome than your average druid .... would a dedicated social guy be good in this group?

"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."
Omen of Peace
Hong Kong

Wise Madman

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 06:25:13 PM »

Our 5th partner who hasn't really showed up (Maraxus on the wiki) is as you saw a Bard//Crusader so don't worry ! Three of us (Elia, Owain, Talman) are DPS-oriented (Strikers in 4E-speak) and Meriabo is a king of skills ; someone in a supporting role typically doesn't need to reach the same numbers. I've said it before, but Maraxus - if he ever joins us - will be the best damage dealer in the group, but indirectly through all of us. That's an asset we can and do recognize. Smile

We can help you build your character too if you want.

So just go for a type of character you want to play ! Big Grin
(And yes, another DPS character could be fine if that's what you wanted. Face can be good too, etc...)

Silanah heard their songs and prayers. And she watched. Sometimes mortals did indeed forget. Sometimes, mortals needed… reminding…
fil kearney

WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 02:13:17 PM »

Omen is nothing short of fantastic!
*****begins daydreaming of Omen and Surreal on the same team....*****

hubblwaha--

Right.  back on track!

Omen is, of course, absolutely right.  I've ran games of all casters, no casters, mixed bags... it really doesn't matter to me at all, as long as everyone stays balanced. Big Grin

Be welcome to post a build here and talk turkey as much as you please.  I'm very a la carte when it comes to customizing classes... the end result is what is truly important, and team integration.

Judging Eagle

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2008, 07:42:08 PM »

Just so that I'm clear,

What sort of buffs does this group have running in combat?

Omen of Peace
Hong Kong

Wise Madman

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 09:05:07 PM »

Omen is nothing short of fantastic!
*****begins daydreaming of Omen and Surreal on the same team....*****
*blushes*  :fan

@Judging Eagle: Elia has no buff IIRC. I believe Owain (who used Shield) and Meriabo have a few and Talman some more.
We considered using Greater Magic Weapon but decided to postpone its use (fil cheekily told us he'd simply raise our opponents' AC... fair enough ! Wink)
We're all optimized to be fairly self-reliant but we also all benefit from the other people on the team.

Judging Eagle

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 10:22:57 PM »

All right, I was just wondering if someone that dropped multi-target buffs such as Recitation, Good Hope and Hastes would help the party.

Unless of course... all monsters would get +5 more AC and cast Slow on the party at every instant.

Omen of Peace
Hong Kong

Wise Madman

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 10:35:53 PM »

I doubt it*. If you make it your focus Fil will make it work (but I'll let him speak - I tend to post too much  Whistle).

*except for the Slow part. It's well known that all custom monsters do so.

Judging Eagle

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2008, 02:34:13 AM »

Well, either that, or summoning monsters.

With this small of a party, I might pick up a cohort to cast buffs while my own character summons; then have the pair of us cast buffs before casting other spells. That or just cast Enervation over and over.

Rofl, a wand of Enervation is not a bad buy. Tossing out 1-4 Negative levels a round isn't too shabby.

Omen of Peace
Hong Kong

Wise Madman

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2008, 11:52:34 AM »

No Leadership though, except to shore up weaker PCs. Or if you come up with an idea that Fil can't say no to (like our awakened dinosaur friend).

fil kearney

WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2008, 05:44:40 PM »

Omen is correct (shocing)
I use things lik cohorts, bloodlines, item familiars and legacy gear to add the oomph to lagging charactes.
In the case of Meriabo and sherman, that is to mke up with the slow flaw Merri got saddled with, and honestly, Sherman is a weak poincer.  it adds some to the attack routine Merry has but not much else.

Another examploe would have been the DnDOG game in my sig.. Mitteninja was playing a warforged psywarrior/pyrokineticist.. cool concept, but obviously no sorceror//archivist.
So we gave him a tiny fireelemental marshall/artifcer that lived in the warforged's belly... he only boosted the warforged, and rarely impacted anythin outside of combat.  it definitely gamve the pyro a needed oost, and added a lot of interesting dynamics to his character.
Alas, RL ate mittens.  We still miss you, ya bastard.

but aside from my tears, that gives you an idea of what kinda flopping around I allow.  if you build a fighter//rogue.... uh, maybe you'd get some epic feats?  *shivver* I don't think anyone has tried to build something that lacking just to fuck with team alance.  *qickly leaves for another thread....*

Judging Eagle

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2008, 08:02:21 PM »

Well... that makes sense, leadership chaining can be bad.

However, the awakened dire wolf that my character befriended while in the Mournlands or the flock of awakened orchids and bonsai trees in floating flower pots that he eventually collected. The first made a useful mount and fighting ally, the second were essentially living bling that could tell me when they needed watering, pruning or other tending to.

Also, having an intelligent flock of plants follow you has some interesting situations occur. Like.... when springtime rolls around, and the hibiscus hasn't put any pants on.

fil kearney

WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2008, 09:15:50 PM »

well, first off, floating intelligent plants compaining about  dehydration and needing fertilization is farking funny. 

But hose wouldn't actually be COHORTS per se.. just hi larious fluff.  The real issue i sctactical nd statistical benefits.  an intelligent wolf with no character level ins't really a cohort... it's a mount that can voice it's opinion.  I've been treating sherman as such or the most part... more a porp to stimulate ialogue and convey information as opposed to a dungeonsmashing poncing barbarian frenzied terror dino.  As the characters advance towards epic, he may become something like that, depending on how al wants to develop his character. 

a smart wolf and floating veggies do not constitute imbalance. 
Even transforming a few of said plants into tendrulus isn't really unbalancing... it makes you an eccentric summoner with interesting flavor... but it's still a balance issue to be considered. 

for the record, floating potted plants earns you FU as the most interesting thing in game i've seen for some time.  That tickles my fancy.  Tongue

Judging Eagle

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2008, 01:23:05 AM »

That's nothing, I had them take ranks in Perform (song).

They were a chorus of little bonsai, orchids, exotic plants and wildflowers in floating teacups (many of which had the Everburning Torch spell cast on a coin that they would bury in their roots, or dig out to cast light). Which made for great entrances (singing voices and floating lights), and was helpful in dealing with Druids that liked to nurture natural environments and creatures. The Druids that Rolf sometimes met didn't always like the fact that he character had awakened Bonsai, but on the other hand the little tree-people were probably safer with me than on their own. When told that the bulk of the exotic trees and flowers had been stolen from a Kharnnathi noble's private garden, they tended to hiss a lot less. Since at that point he wasn't seen as a torturing plant slaver and rather the awakening tree-freer.

Keeping them quiet was the real problem. Especially since my character tended to be the 2nd party scout (Silence + Invisibility, Imp Invis when me and the ninja needed to ambush some guards). All of the little plants would either want to follow (and reveal mine and ninja's shenanigans of spreading contact poison all over the enemies weapon handles, plates, door handles, beds, chairs etc.) or they would get all pouty and cry their little pollen everywhere.

I...don't think that I'd ever change the little guy...girls (plants are sometimes hemaphrodites) into giant plant monsters. Mostly because I don't think that they'd enjoy it, and I couldn't see them changing. On the other hand the more aggressive ones (the carniverous plants and maybe the trees) might want to turn into big brawly types.

In any case, I'm glad that you liked the story of the flying flowers.

Also, I think that I emotionally invest myself into some of my characters more than I should.

Pages: « 1 2
  Print  

Jump to: