http://brilliantgameologists.com
April 20, 2014, 02:16:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I understand Decisive Strike correctly?  (Read 2921 times)
weenog
Grape ape

« on: October 02, 2011, 08:16:15 PM »

As a full-round action, make one attack with an unarmed strike or a special monk weapon, using your highest base attack bonus but taking a -2 penalty on this attack roll. If the attack hits, it deals double damage (as does any other attack you make before the start of your next turn).

As I understand it, this means that the first, full-round action attack must be with an unarmed strike or a special monk weapon, and takes a -2 penalty on the attack roll, but those restrictions do not apply to other attacks in that round (AoOs, factotum extra standard actions, etc).  Furthermore, those other attacks (with any weapon) still benefit from Decisive Strike's double damage.

For example, a Medium monk 2/warblade 2 with Str 22 and a +1 guisarme could use Decisive Strike to attack unarmed at +7 (2d6+12), and any attacks of opportunity with the guisarme that round would be at +10 (4d4+20).

Am I correct in my understanding of how Decisive Strike works?

"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."
Phoenix00
That monkey with the orange ass cheeks

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:49:51 PM »

Correct many lockdown builds use decisive strike to either deal a lot of damage or to accumulate a lot of damage for stand still
Shiki
King Kong

Mindraped

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:48:55 PM »

Something that I don't like here though is that every feats in existence that lets you consider various weapons as monk special weapons all have FREAKIN FLURRY OF BLOWS as prerequisite. Annoying as fuck when you consider no monk weapon has reach and you normally want to keep what's trying to hit you at a distance, not at arm's reach, in a lock-y build.

Still, I get the impression I missed something here. Mhm..

"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)
snakeman830
Organ Grinder

BG's resident furry min/maxxer

591915459 snakeman830@yahoo.com snakeman830 snakeman830
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 10:12:52 PM »

Something that I don't like here though is that every feats in existence that lets you consider various weapons as monk special weapons all have FREAKIN FLURRY OF BLOWS as prerequisite. Annoying as fuck when you consider no monk weapon has reach and you normally want to keep what's trying to hit you at a distance, not at arm's reach, in a lock-y build.

Oriental Adventures had a lot of new weapons for Monks, some of which had reach IIRC.

I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.
sirpercival
Donkey Kong

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 10:43:54 PM »

Serpent Strike from ECS gives you longspear...

Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
Sinfire Titan
Organ Grinder

You've got one round to give a rat's ass.

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 10:59:02 PM »

There's a PrC in Races of the Dragon that gives Flurry of Blows without needing Monk levels.

Shiki
King Kong

Mindraped

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 11:08:22 PM »

@sirpercival: It has flurry of blows as prerequisite, like Pole Master, Double Steel Strike, Whirling Steel Strike, Pole Fighter and Unorthodox Flurry; my point was that you could not use those feats to get a cool reach weapon to use the first hit of Decisive Strike 'cause DS is not flurry of blows.

@snakeman830: Unless I'm blind, there is no reach monk weapon in OA.

@Sinfire Titan: The class is somewhat awful though, and even if you can get both DS & fob those are wasted levels IMO.

edit: typos
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 12:13:23 AM by Shiki » Logged

"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)
weenog
Grape ape

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 11:35:42 PM »

So, is Decisive Strike compatible with Battle Jump?  Say, if I use Sudden Leap to get my charge on while still having a full-round action available, looking for triple damage...

nijineko
King Kong

two strange quarks short of a graviton...

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 01:58:37 AM »

there is that one prestige from complete champion that grants flurry, iirc.

soulknife mindblade + monk levels + flowing blade feat (wotc website) = mindblade usable as a monk weapon...

add soulbow and that might = projectile monk weapon....

plus, i thought the longstaff could be used as a monk and reach weapon... no? or was it three-part staff?

wasn't there a feat that lets you add a single martial weapon as a monk weapon?

ah, rereading, i see the point on DS vs flurry. ^^

arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine
Agita
Organ Grinder

SFT is mai waifu.

Justym2c
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 02:26:19 AM »

Wasn't there an extra-large sized quarterstaff somewhere that acted as basically a quarterstaff with reach? I thought it was in either CW or AEG, but I can't find it for the life of me.

It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation
SorO_Lost
Man in Gorilla Suit

I'll kill you before you're born.

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 02:36:01 AM »

So, is Decisive Strike compatible with Battle Jump?  Say, if I use Sudden Leap to get my charge on while still having a full-round action available, looking for triple damage...
Using the action breaking Battle Jump trait, yeah looks like it would work fine. Spend a Full-Round Action to make a single attack then a Swift Action to either Sudden Leap or even Belt of Battle it. Also DS + +1 Valorous Necklace of Natural WeaponsCoV/SS + Sandals of Tiger's LeapS&F + Battle Jump = x5.

Further, a Scorpion KamaMiC deals your Unarmed Damage for damage, just buy it as a Large weapon for the ability to Two-Hand it for Power Attack (-2 to att rolls though). Need I say Wand of Greater Mighty Wallop abuse?

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
Sinfire Titan
Organ Grinder

You've got one round to give a rat's ass.

Email
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 03:16:20 AM »

Wasn't there an extra-large sized quarterstaff somewhere that acted as basically a quarterstaff with reach? I thought it was in either CW or AEG, but I can't find it for the life of me.

Longstaff, CAdv. Doesn't have reach though.

Endarire
Man in Gorilla Suit

Email
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 03:42:21 AM »

Shou Disciple (Unapproachable East 33) requires no Flurry, and lets you flurry with any light weapon @3 and any martial weapon @5.

Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"
nijineko
King Kong

two strange quarks short of a graviton...

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 09:20:47 PM »

ah thanks, i knew there was a prestige somewhere....

arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine
Prime32
Honorary Moderator
Organ Grinder

Modding since 03/12/10

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 03:15:02 PM »

Decisive Strike can be combined with Rapid Shot...

My work
DeviantArt
Current games
The tier system in a nutshell:
Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
weenog
Grape ape

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 03:19:52 PM »

How's that?  Rapid Shot prescribes a full attack action, Decisive Strike is a full-round (close, not quite the same) action.

Prime32
Honorary Moderator
Organ Grinder

Modding since 03/12/10

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 03:23:32 PM »

How's that?  Rapid Shot prescribes a full attack action, Decisive Strike is a full-round (close, not quite the same) action.
Never mind, was AFB.

My work
DeviantArt
Current games
The tier system in a nutshell:
Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
weenog
Grape ape

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 03:42:40 PM »

Damn, was hoping you were right and I could work with that later.  Oh well.

Rebel7284
Grape ape

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 06:09:37 PM »

AFAIK, Snap Kick works though.

Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286
lans
King Kong

Email
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 09:47:32 PM »

Decisive Strike ups the DC for stunning fist by 2. Not much by itself, but its a decent start.

Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar
Pages: 1
  Print  

Jump to: