http://brilliantgameologists.com
May 29, 2017, 09:18:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Sode #12: Love and Sex  (Read 16526 times)
Josh
Brilliant Gameologist
Grape ape

Email
« on: May 12, 2008, 01:45:54 AM »

How do you feel about Boneing in RPGs?

We talk about secret crushes, let us know if you like these insights into the BG hosts.

We start a sew segment "Douchebag of the Week." This week it is God GMs.

Then we get down to Brass Tacks and Discuss the Buggery (Most Disturbing Room in a Victorian Mansion).   

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 08:46:28 AM by Meg » Logged

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009
logan9a
Ring-Tailed Lemur

GM of Heroic Cthulhu

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 08:20:09 PM »

Sound quality not as good as in the previous show - not sure what you did different.

To be more specific, there is a decent amount of vocal distortion.

Dealing with the topic some what, a quick story:

A long time ago, I was playing D&D with two people.  They had low level characters and hadn't played in the game before.  They said "We find out what the most dangerous area around is."  People said "For you guys?"  "No - most dangerous period."  They argued back and forth with the people for awhile who tried to tell them they knew of some stuff they might be able to handle, yada yada yada - no, the players were dead set on going to the most dangerous area they could find.  There was plenty of foreshadowing that a) it was too dangerous for them and b) there were plenty of areas that were better for newer adventurers. 

They went to the most dangerous area they could find.

They got captured by a huge (50+) hunting party of (believe it or not) bugbears.

The bug bears asked the first guy "Death or chi-chi?"

He thought it over and went with chi-chi.
They took turns buggering the crap out of him then (as he was having problems crawling much less fighting) they released him.

The went to the second guy and said "Death or chi-chi?"

He looked the leader in the eye and said "DEATH."

The bugbears triumphantly screamed "DEATH BY CHI-CHI!"

And that was the last I ever saw of those players.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 08:45:44 PM by logan9a » Logged

Listen to Heroic Cthulhu podcasts
http://heroiccthulhu.mypodcast.com/index.html
The Heroic Cthulhu boards can be found at:  http://heroiccthulhu.proboards105.com/index.cgi
Meg
Message Board Extraordinaire
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 09:48:53 PM »

That's taken straight from Futurama and the "Death by Snu-snu!"

The facial expressions, varying from horror to elation, on Zapp Brannigan and Fry's face is priceless.

Very odd about the sound quality-- everything was the same, I levelated, etc, except recorded this one as stereo and last one as mono.  I'm afraid with mono if folks listen to it on headphones it will only come out of one ear.  It shouldn't but I don't trust it.  Could that be it though?

All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!
logan9a
Ring-Tailed Lemur

GM of Heroic Cthulhu

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:33:06 PM »

No - mono comes in both ears.  HC is all recorded in mono.  Not sure on what went different.

The Heroic Cthulhu boards can be found at:  http://heroiccthulhu.proboards105.com/index.cgi
Dragon Snack
Curious George

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 02:54:36 PM »

Due to an old player in my D&D group (I don't remember if he got kicked out or if he just stopped playing with us) who ruined it by constantly harping on "getting laid", we mainly "fade to black" for any sexual encounters.  It's one thing if it happens once or twice, but I've got better things to do than sit around while someone else dominates the game while getting his jollies by pretending to get laid.  However, I did have one player give "favors" to a Gnoll that the party spared so he would defend her...

The other problem I've noticed is, it's usually one person who seems preoccupied with sex.  In addition to the guy from my D&D group, in the Serenity game I was in it was one player who took the Amorous drawback that had to constantly "hook up" (with his GF/wife sitting there).  In my Wonderland No More game, it's a girl who plays a gay guy (well, technically a Chesspiece, but still male).

It's a fine line to walk, but I'm sure it can be done.  I'm in a PbP game right now that has some romance in it that's being handled well, but it hasn't gotten very far either...

Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls
clarkcd
Ring-Tailed Lemur

Da Man

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 04:21:43 PM »

As a player I tend to avoid love and sex because it's kind of awkward having your DM (who's usually male) describe feelings towards you (your character) that you wouldn't normally want them describing.  I also find it awkward to try and describe these things to others.

IMO it's best left to those that aren't me.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Grade 'A' pain in the neck arrogance brought to you by Da Man.

Da Man Has Spoken
Kai
(rhymes with pie)
Honorary Moderator
Donkey Kong

Don't panic!

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 04:28:13 PM »

This is the closest so sex that we get in one of our SAGA campaigns...

GM: You're headed to the planet xyz.
Player 1: And where exactly is said planet?
GM: It's in the outer rim.
Player 2: So you're saying that this is a rim job?  Smirk
GM: No. No I'm not. 

...in our other campaign the closest is one of the players periodically dry-humping his wife during game play. They could probably be considered overly affectionate, but they're a lot of fun to game with.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi
SentryGun
Ring-Tailed Lemur

trekgm@msn.com xon_ca@yahoo.com
Email
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 08:51:45 AM »

Interesting episode guys.

My wife was listening with me during a long commute, and was almost in tears laughing at some of the stories, and she could relate.

My current group is pretty calm about the whole sex-in-game issue, but there have been some games when adding sex, hell, adding a relationship to the characters has added a great deal to the game.  I ran a zombie/end of the world game which was intended as a one-shot, run from the zombies game, but turned into a great campaign when the players decided that their goal was to hang onto civilization, and rebuild what they could.  So, when you work at building a community of survivors, relationships and sex comes up.

Cool episode. 

Thanks

gefahrmaus
Monkey bussiness

My ranger attacks with his sword of brutality.

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 06:26:43 PM »

Seen on the shelf at Borders, games section, slipped in with D&D...

Book of Erotic Fantasy

OGL D20 rules. A cornucopia of dildo models/types. Feats (for exactly what, I didn't look).

« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 06:29:24 PM by gefahrmaus » Logged
Josh
Brilliant Gameologist
Grape ape

Email
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 08:12:08 PM »

Does it surprise anyone that I have that book.

I also Have "Naughty and Dice" from http://www.sabledrake.com/games.htm

And of course the "Book of Vile Darkness."

They all have good content that is poorly edited and executed.   

Meg
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 10:39:59 PM »

FWIW:  Naughty and Dice is by far the best imo.  Book of Vile Darkness has some great stuff in it, but much more on the evil spectrum not the sex part. 

The Book of Erotic Fantasy is a waste of space as far as I'm concerned. 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!
logan9a
Ring-Tailed Lemur

GM of Heroic Cthulhu

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 11:35:34 AM »

What's weird is that I had contemplated your topic, etc was figuring out hot to phrase my response and then-

Last night I ran a 'who dun it'/csi caper entitled 'Holmes'.  It was named after Sherlock but 'John' as well would have found it appropriate as well.  OMFG the things that happened there.  I'll let that stand as my answer.  One of my players is very warped and did things that have never been done before.  He crossed lines that I didn't think needed barbed wire fenses in front of them.  It will be SUN or so before I get those episodes up but know that your show seems to have influenced - er warped Logan. 

Naughty BG's.

Josh
Brilliant Gameologist
Grape ape

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 01:04:22 PM »

I think of our ideas as an infectious disease.

Kai
(rhymes with pie)
Honorary Moderator
Donkey Kong

Don't panic!

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 06:57:58 PM »

We talk about secret crushes, let us know if you like these insights into the BG hosts.

I love these portions of the podcasts...always make me think about what my take is on the subject at hand is.

For me...

Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.
Legolas from the Lord of the Rings trilogy (yeah...I'm that girl. So?).
Obi Wan (Ewan MeGregor) from Star Wars.

Outside of the typical genres I dig Riddick from Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick, Connor McManus from Boondock Saints, and Agent 47 from Hitman (the movie).

Meg
Brilliant Gameologist
Man in Gorilla Suit

Are you rapier than me?

NA
WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 06:59:25 PM »

Oo, I'll add Spike.  Angel didn't really do it for me, but bad boy Spike got me all a-twitter.

Josh
Brilliant Gameologist
Grape ape

Email
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 07:18:16 PM »

I like those tests where what your favorite character in a TV show is determines your personality.

From Buffy, If you like:

Cordelia: You are an evil bitch
Xander: You are a pathetic loser
Willow: Nerd.  On the moon, nerds are spanked with moon rocks
Angel: You are too pretty to work and get your hands dirty
Giles: You English people think you are so smart
Spike: One word, douchebag.

Very scientific.

I like Cordelia.  After the first 15 seconds of screen time I wanted to “bang the flaps” off her.  Then Anya came along, [insert cat growl here].  The funny thing is I don't find either actress particularly attractive.  I am attracted to them entirely due to personality. 

Kai
(rhymes with pie)
Honorary Moderator
Donkey Kong

Don't panic!

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »

So did Cordelia become less attractive when her character went to Angel and had the personality re-alignment?

I totally didn't consider what girls do it for me in this regard...I'll have to revisit this...

Josh
Brilliant Gameologist
Grape ape

Email
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 07:41:49 PM »

So did Cordelia become less attractive when her character went to Angel and had the personality re-alignment?

Somewhat, she is really bossy still though. 

I like Lillah a situation slightly complicated by the fact that some consider her to be a bad guy.  And of course Fred, especially God Fred. 

Kai
(rhymes with pie)
Honorary Moderator
Donkey Kong

Don't panic!

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 01:21:16 AM »

Quote from: Kai
I totally didn't consider what girls do it for me in this regard...I'll have to revisit this...

Vala from Stargate SG-1 (later seasons).
Arwen from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Faith from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

McPoyo
Organ Grinder

Email
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2008, 07:46:39 PM »

Yeah, Meg has a lot sexier voice than I ever pegged a WizO possessing. My whole world is turned upside down now. Stop putting attractiveness into my geeky activities!

A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »
  Print  

Jump to: