http://brilliantgameologists.com
November 01, 2014, 08:23:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: These boards are now READ ONLY. We've started over! So don't try posting here. Go here www.minmaxboards.com
 
   Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Prologue - The Hunt  (Read 4533 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Flay Crimsonwind
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1310


Watching the World Burn in Magnificence


Email
« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2010, 11:24:05 PM »

OOC: Sorry to Flay, no offence and all that but I figure this is a good way to RP it. It seems like a good way to make decisions to have 2 leaders. If you want me to back down my character is a bit of a coward (so far). And as RPing it goes I think experiance vs. charisma would be interesting.
A) Never anticipated my quiet hunter becoming a de facto leader at all, so I find the whole situation amusing.
B) Another young hunter who sees Ivarlan as a leader and wants to vie for his position sounds awesome! I mean it, not enough rp tends to really go on in pbp games, I love it!
C) In my opinion, you should never apologize for how a character acts, since it's all IC. Ivarlan's abrasive, and bad at socializing; play that shit up!

Ivarlan nods knowingly to Matt, no sense of irritation, anger, or fear on his face. Unphased, he prepares quickly, only stopping to smile at Faolan's antics. Gliding over, he grabs the wolf semi-playfully, burying his face in the wolf's neck. Whispering into the fur, he says "I know discretion is pointless this far in, but it's better we keep them sharp than relaxed."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The next day, Ivarlan and Faolan pull their usual teamed scanning of the tracks. Though tracking, Ivarlan tries to move quickly; as good as it was to be thorough, time was an element in this; one elk would not feed a village for a long stay, and so he was hoping they might come across bushes or lichen on their way. Still, he was content with the distance covered by the end of the day, despite the caddiness Faolan presented. They were not difficult challenges, tracking the lumbering beast; still, he felt eager to get there as fast as possible, and with his haste, for a moment, he thought he'd lost the trail. However, he picked up on it later, noting oddities in the animal's behavior. He thought of telling the group, but stopped himself; no need to further their uncertainty and lower their morale. It was startling; he never thought of people before, spending so little time in any groups. Now, stuck in his world with a group of them, he was trying to keep them happy and together. Years spent outside of regular contact must have made him lonely.

Y'know what, AJ, can it be assumed that the hunters at least would be able to take 10 on the tracking rolls? It wouldn't be totally out of place, since it's one of three or so skills they would be using as a second nature, and these DCs are kind of low, and not exactly game breaking.

'S fine, in that case let's get rolling!
Survival (Faolan - Aid other Tracking): 8
No assisting bonus for Ivarlan... lazy ass wolf Big Grin

Survival (Ivarlan - Tracking): 11
Ah. Right. Forgot why I hate the low levels.

Later that day...
Faolan Assist: 17
Better....

Ivarlan's Tracking: 16
Barely... with a +2 aiding....

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 01:02:18 AM by Flay Crimsonwind » Logged

InnaBinder
Grape ape
*****
Posts: 1610


OnnaTable


WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2010, 06:38:52 AM »

Arcos trotted along behind the hunters, trying to stay far enough back not to interfere with their craft while maintaining a small enough gap that he could close in rapidly if needed.    Every time he saw Ivarlan pause and look around, he reflexively glanced behind himself.

"I wonder what he sees or senses, to stop like that.  Hopefully hunter and hunted do not reverse roles."
Logged

Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?
archangel.arcanis
Organ Grinder
*****
Posts: 2938



Email
« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2010, 11:17:47 AM »

As the boys play in the dirt, Kim looks for berries and other plant foods.
Logged

Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren
Shadowhunter
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1003



« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2010, 12:45:07 PM »

I cast 24 hour bless on the party at the start of the day. Unless otherwise noted, I do this _EVERY_ day.

Trying to make herself useful, Shimala does the same. Looking for edible plants, mushrooms or berries, she goes along with the rest of the group, trying to keep herself somewhat in the center of the formation. Her luck seems to be paying of, since she finds something to eat. "Kim, over here. Don't these look like..."

Ok, I don't know what I'll find, but a survival check of 23 ought to find _something_.
archangel.arcanis, it's rather common for the minority women to band together, so I hope you don't mind Wink
Amusing note: I've rolled only twice, a 1 and a 20.
Note to self: 5 trail rations left.
Logged

Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  Smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.
Epimetheus
Bi-Curious George
****
Posts: 430


« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2010, 04:59:49 PM »

To find food as we walk, Survival: 13

Claude hummed a tune softly, so quietly that one would have to be paying close attention to him to hear it. He kept seeing the same berries every once in a while and would snag a few, as he passed by. He needed to keep up with the group though, so he couldn't linger too long.

Since we're traveling at 1/2 speed, that means we're traveling at move 15'. So the 20's [the non-trackers] can't forage for too long during the march.

I think we only need 1 person to be very successful with the tracking in order to follow the tracks. The rest are just following whoever found them first. For that reason, I think it's better to have everyone roll instead of all take 10, since taking 10 supposedly is extra slow? I'm not sure though.

His attention was caught by a note of excitement in Shimala's voice. Looking over to them, Claude saw Kim and Shimala looking at something...
Logged
Mandoor
Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
**
Posts: 108



« Reply #85 on: December 26, 2010, 08:41:32 PM »

Tivus foraging roll for food while hunting. Survival: 1d20+4=13

Found 1 lb of 'berries, tubers and other things'.

Every now and then Tivus stops tracking and looks over the group to see if someone is in trouble or needs help.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:45:56 PM by Mandoor » Logged

raith0
Bi-Curious George
****
Posts: 442


« Reply #86 on: December 26, 2010, 10:10:54 PM »

Krak keeping a distance easier to close for him than some others stays out to a right flank of most of the group trying to look for decent berries and what nots as he tries to learn from those better at tracking than he is and making sure to keep his eyes out for the best strategic grounds on witch than can slay the elk or anything tring to hunt them.


Survival - 6 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2816588/
ooc obviousely distracted by the watching of the terrain


Mumbles to himself "Hope some one found some for me too....
Logged
mthor
Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
***
Posts: 187



Email
« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2010, 11:12:43 PM »

Matt, ever pragmatic, follows any advice the ranger Ivarlan throws his way or the way of the entire group. to become the best you must learn from the best, he reasons.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2816613/
1d20>6

obviously he has a little way to go.

OOC: hey could someone tell me how to link the roller stuff so nicely....  Confused
Logged

The god of thunder....... yeah I'm the hammer

Just ask yourself..... W.W.T.D  what would Thor do
mthor, look what you did. You made people on the internet argue. We all hate you with a fiery passion, now.
Epimetheus
Bi-Curious George
****
Posts: 430


« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2010, 11:20:55 PM »

OOC: I'd like to know too. Or is there no other way than to copy the template everyone is using?
Logged
Hallack
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1344



« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2010, 10:13:27 AM »

Tosc finds himself happy to be among the wilds againg and while generally not the most social of people he does his best to help and guide the foragers while Tivus and Ivarlan focus on the big game.  

At one of the rest stops Tosc approaches Ivarlan and gives him a friendly back slap.  "It is good to be hunting with you again brother.  You dealt well with the concerns of the hunt yesterday.  Snow Fox says that is why he likes you.  We did not have to point out the obvious", he says with a smile.  "This beast will provide much meat if it is not infected from the wound I think.  The group seems to be doing well.  Even those not often out of the village."  

"Have you seen any sign of what has the injured beast spooked?"

Foraging Check: Foraging (1d20+7=8) Apparently today Tosc should stop helping others so much and focus more on his own foraging, but the day before he did manage to forage for himself + 6 others.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 10:27:23 AM by Hallack » Logged

Placeholder - T'tosc
AndyJames
Moderator
Organ Grinder
*
Posts: 3112


Meep?


« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2010, 07:21:18 PM »

Shimala, Kim and Claude:
What Shimala is pointing to is a cluster of vines, hanging from the branches of a couple of closely standing pines, about 15 ft up. The vines have leaves and small bunches of berries much like dark red grapes. There are quite a few of these berry clusters, enough for a number of people.

Spot checks for the three of you, please.

The rest of you continue on tracking the beast or in your foraging, fairly oblivious to the excitement of the three at finding such a bounty of fruit in the forest.
Logged
archangel.arcanis
Organ Grinder
*****
Posts: 2938



Email
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2010, 07:31:19 PM »

Spot (1d20+7=19)
Logged

Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren
Shadowhunter
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1003



« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2010, 07:47:24 PM »

"...berries?" Shimala turns to Claude and Kim behind her. "I bet those could feed a lot of us today."
Thank you Lady.

Logged

Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  Smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.
Epimetheus
Bi-Curious George
****
Posts: 430


« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2010, 08:31:04 PM »

Nice!

Spot: 1d20+1=18

---

"How lucky..., finding so much fruit in a place like this," the bard thought, as he saw the berries hanging from vines wrapping the nearby pine trees. "They're a bit high though... And the rest of the group is walking off."

Claude spoke softly to the two ladies. "Nice find, Shimala..., but the others haven't realized..." He spoke up to try and get Tosc and Arcos' attention, who were starting to leave them behind. "Tosc! Arcos! Wait!" he shouted. There is a certain lack of energy and enthusiasm behind the shout, almost as if the bard is incapable of speaking any louder.

---

I wonder if the spot check means we've found something else...

Marching Order (from what I can tell):
Forwards (actively tracking): Ivarland (+Faolan), Tivus.
To the right: Krak
Middle: Arcos ('behind the hunters'), Tosc (guiding those foraging, when we are not resting)
Middle Back (falling behind): Shimala (stated to be 'near the center of the group'), Kim, and Claude
Back?: Carlos and Matt [unclear where these two are, but maybe together, as they seem to be friends. Also, putting them at the back, 'centers' Shimala.]

Logged
AndyJames
Moderator
Organ Grinder
*
Posts: 3112


Meep?


« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2010, 08:42:29 PM »

As Shimala turns back to the vines, she notices something pale (white, or maybe a very light brow, she can't tell for sure) amongst the fallen pine needles. This is an unusual colour in the brown or green bed of pine needles. She cannot make out what it is, though.
Logged
Shadowhunter
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1003



« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2010, 08:50:20 PM »

As she notice this odd thing, her mind gives her a slight poke to investigate what has made it curious. Huh, what's that? That's not something I've seen before...
Shimala goes over to the something she sees, kneeling down to check it out. As she does so, she turns her head for a second to catch Kim's eye and says:
"I think I found something else here, I'm not sure just yet though"
Logged

Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  Smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.
AndyJames
Moderator
Organ Grinder
*
Posts: 3112


Meep?


« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2010, 09:37:11 PM »

Shimala very quickly figure out that the item is a bone. Part of a shattered skull of some creature, judging from the curve and relatively large, smooth area. Before she could say anything more, a large vine springs from behind the cluster of vines and whips around her torso, pinning her arms to her side.

OOC: Initiative, all three of you. Tosc, Arcos, Listen checks.

Shimala
Roll vs flatfooted
Attack roll: 15, Damage: 5
Grapple
Grapple roll: 27 (I think you can't counter this one)
Logged
Mandoor
Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
**
Posts: 108



« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2010, 09:43:01 PM »

Listen Check:
1d20+5=22

After hearing Claude signal, Tivus signals Ivarlan that there is a situation behind us then Tivus moves back quickly to find out if his bow skills are needed. In the wilderness its always prudent to assume there is trouble until you find out its not.

Spot Check:
1d20+4=19

Let me know when I can help. DM
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:46:13 PM by Mandoor » Logged

Shadowhunter
Hong Kong
****
Posts: 1003



« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2010, 09:59:46 PM »

Ahahahahahah. Assassin vine. Classic. I actually plan to use one in my upcoming campaign, so I really should have know better. Hahaha.

Anyway, Initiative is a mighty 4
Current HP: 5

Pretty certain myself that I can't counter that grapple check (as in I can at most roll 21) but that doesn't mean Shimala wouldn't try.
Anyway, help someone?  Wink
Logged

Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  Smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.
Epimetheus
Bi-Curious George
****
Posts: 430


« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2010, 10:23:41 PM »

Claude's Initiative: 1d20+2=10

"What was THAT?!" Claude thought, trying not to panic.

Something had shot out from between the trees and wrapped itself around Shimala. She seemed to be too much in shock to fight back against the... thing's grip. It was definitely hurting her. The thing looked extremely tough; they'd need help to cut her loose. To top it off, not everyone knew about the situation...

If the marching order I had in the previous spoiler is accurate, Matt and Carlos should be approaching us soon, as well. Maybe they should make Listen/Spot checks to see what's happening, as well. (Because I think we need the help...)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 10:29:21 PM by Epimetheus » Logged
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2008, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!